Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews guys. More flashbacks for you. Flashbacks in italics.

William had been standing in front of the mirror for what seemed like a lifetime, but in reality was probably twenty minutes.

‘Glasses on? Glasses off?’ He thought to himself as he switched from one to the other.

He could not understand why he felt so churned up. Then he remembered. It was Friday. ‘D Day’… well it was probably more accurate to say ‘S Day’ as in today’s the day I have it.

Ever since the impromptu make out session in Buffy’s room a couple of days ago, the majority of his thoughts consumed by what was going to take place tonight. He and Buffy had not spoken much more about it. Except to set a time and place, oh, and decide who was going to buy the condoms.

William went over to his bag and checked for what seemed the umpteenth time. “Checkmate check.”

The time that was not spent planning the deed; William spent thinking about Buffy -- more specifically, what it felt like to kiss Buffy. It was as if his world had shifted onto a slightly different axis just from that one kiss. Everything to do with Buffy had suddenly come into sharper focus. Her smile somehow made him feel just that bit better, when she laughed he felt just that bit happier, slight touches sent shivers not only up his spine but also creeping into other areas of his anatomy as well.

~

Buffy checked the clock… thirty minutes until William would be there and she was already onto her fourth outfit change. The first one was too flirty, the second to daggy, the third too slutty. William might think she was throwing herself at him. Buffy laughed at the thought, because in reality she was not so much throwing but placing herself next to him. Her problem was she did not know how to dress for a date, let alone for what was essentially a booty call.

Buffy frowned at that thought. It was not exactly true. She was not going to be a booty call. She and William had done practically everything together; even a trip to the drug store to buy what William liked to call ‘lady products,’ which they swore never to mention ever again. She did not see why sex should be any different.

Sure, she wanted love and she wanted passion, but she also wanted acceptance, reassurance, respect and equality-- all the things that William gave her in spades. Anytime in her life, she needed strength and support William was there and losing one’s virginity was one of those times. Therefore, it made all the sense in the world to do it this way.

However, there was a nagging feeling in her heart that she wanted this for a whole heap of other reasons, none of which had to do with logic at all.

~

Spike looked at the flowers on his bedside table. ‘If I never see another bunch of flowers in my life, it will be too soon,’ he thought to himself as he rolled his eyes.

The four walls of his room were starting to drive him nuts. Where was that guitar he asked for? He needed some outlet for all this pent up stress.

The physio session with Tara had left him rattled. He never thought too much about his ‘William’ days. On one hand it seemed like it was three lifetimes ago he was studying relentlessly, the constant fodder for popular group teasing. On the other, it only seemed like a moment ago he was graduating.

Then there was Buffy. It seemed like only yesterday since he had seen her… spoken to her… heard her voice calling out to him. He closed his eyes and took himself back to that room, that day, to that moment when everything changed.

“See. I told you Captain Peroxide would be asleep!” The booming voice jolted him from his thoughts.

“Well if it isn’t tall dark and forehead.” Spike opened his eyes to see his bass player, Angel standing beside his girlfriend Faith, who just happened to be the band’s drummer as well.

“Hey Spike, was told you needed this.” Faith swung the guitar case up onto the bed narrowly missing his leg.

“Watch it Faith! One broken leg is enough for me at the moment!” He flinched as he moved to miss the flying case.

“So, how you holding up?” Angel asked as he moved to look at the growing collection of stuffed animals, flowers and cards around the hospital room.

“Fine. How about you guys?”

Faith moved to sit down beside the bed.

“We’re all fine… you took the worst of it I’m afraid. I was discharged from the ER the same night and Angel was just kept overnight. Weren’t you sweetie?”

Angel looked up from reading the get-well cards.

“Yeah. They thought I had concussion.”

“Don’t you need a brain to have one of those, mate?” Spike laughed as he asked the question.

“Very funny bleach boy. Dru says you’ve got another five weeks in here.” Angel looked around the room. “You’ll go crazy here before your leg heals.”

“I know… that’s why I asked for the guitar. I might as well use the down time to write a few new songs.” Angel moved to sit down next to Faith.

“Going to test them out on the nurses? See how many you can make swoon; see how many hearts you can break?”

“Not likely, mate. Dru has this place so stitched up you need military clearance just to get into the ward, let alone my room. It’s embarrassing! She acts like I’m some kind of mega star or something.”

“She just wants what’s best for you. The quicker you get back on your feet the faster we get back on tour and as our publicist, that’s what she wants.” Faith stood up to have a look around the room; she was never one to sit down for too long.

“I don’t know mate? She’s been extra possessive and that’s saying something for her… I just don’t understand why?”

Faith unhooked Spike’s chart to sneak a peek at the fun drugs he was on, she looked up from the chart and spoke.

“I think I know the reason.”

~

Buffy sighed as she knocked on the door. Dinner with friends was the last thing she felt like doing. However, she had cancelled on Willow twice now and she would be really stretching the friendship if she were to cancel again.

Besides, it was a good way to put this thing with Spike behind her. The confrontation with Drusilla left her pretty rattled. Willow knew all about the situation and knew better than to bring it up

The door opened to reveal Willow’s girlfriend, Tara.

“Hey Buffy! How are you doing?” Buffy leant forward and kissed Tara on the cheek.

“Good.” Buffy lied. “How about you? Haven’t seen you round the cafeteria lately?”

They both moved inside the door and into the lounge. Buffy sank down into the comfortable chair.

“Yeah, I have been flat out with my new star patient.” Tara offered Buffy some nuts.

“Really? That sucks. I must admit I have been flat out in the ER myself. So who’s your new patient?”

“Spike Giles.”

Buffy felt the colour drain from her face, she felt cursed. For some unknown reason, everywhere she went she had to hear or talk about Spike Giles.

“I know. Funny isn’t it?” Tara continued. “He’s not at all like you’d expect. He’s got this tough guy persona going on, but underneath it all he’s just a …”

“Softie.” Buffy finished the sentence for her.

“Well I was going to say sweetheart, but yeah, now you come to mention it you’re right. He has this softness to him that you can see in his eyes. He tries to hide it but behind the bad ass exterior lays a heart of gold, I suspect.”

“Indeed it does.” Buffy felt the tears well again in her eyes. Scolding herself on when was she going to get over this. She had shed too many pointless tears over a man who really did not exist any more. She knew what she had to do to make the tears stop, to heal the pain in her heart that seemed like it was never going away.

“So what did I miss?” Willow entered the room breaking her out of her thoughts. “Sorry there was an emergency at the magic shop and I had to call in to fix it.” Willow took one look at Buffy and knew something was not right.

“Are you okay, Buffy?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Buffy smiled. “Tara was just telling me about her star patient.”

“Really, sweetie? Who’s that?”

“Spike Giles.”

Willows eyes widened as she looked at Buffy again.

“Oh.” Realisation hit Willow. She took one look at Buffy and knew what she had to do.

“Tequila anyone?”