Disclaimer: Everyone bloody knows by now that I don't own even a smidgen of the rights to these delicious characters. The creator of BTVS does which is fine and dandy. Oh and just a note: Sleeping Beauty doesn't belong to me, either. Hey, I'm not *that* old! 8D (and as a side note, Sleeping Beauty is my all time fav. fairy tale even before I saw the Disney version.)

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

The three of them sat and stared at one another, neither one knowing what to do or say.

"Spike?" Buffy was sure this was another one of Spike's devious ploys of what he thought was funny.

"I can't imagine why you must keep calling me by that wretched name. My name, Miss, is William. William Winters. Possible you may know my mother or, or my sister per---perhaps?" he stuttered a bit.

Buffy had never known Spike to stutter or even talk like the way he was now. His accent had deepened and sounded more uppercrust, closer to Giles accent to put it precisely. She stood and started laughing.

"You got us. I hate to admit to it, but you got us good. You can cut the act. Pretty funny."

"Buffy," Dawn stood and looked at her sister. "I don't think he is joking."

Buffy stared at Dawn for a second or two, then looked back at Spike still sitting on the couch huddled in a tight ball. He stared up at her wide eyed and shook his head no slowly.

"Miss, I think I may have lost conciousness. Did I hit my head? I seem to have forgotten where I am and how I came to be here."

"Yes, in a way, you did. Can you please stop calling me Miss? The name is Buffy, this is my sister, Dawn. And you're---William?"

"That is correct, Mmmbuffy. Buffy, a highly unusual name." He saw her face change at this remark. "Oh but it'sss---nice. And you're clearly not from around here by your accent."

"Where *exactly* is here?" Dawn asked curiously.

"Why, London, Mi---sorry, Dawn was it?" Dawn shook her head yes. "Did you not know you were in London?" he smiled brightly. "Did you travel here from another country?"

"Weeelllll, we are from California actually. Have you ever been there?"

William chuckled. "The States? No, I'm afraid not. Though I always wanted to travel. I"ve always wondered what the rest of the world looked like."

"Oh, you would love California. It's bright and sunny. Full of different cultures, markets, palm trees, miles of sandy beaches and the ocean." Dawn was excitedly telling him about home like she really *was* in London.

Buffy noticed that Spike, or rather William, had finally relaxed a little and was, not surprisingly, enjoying the company of her sister. She decided this may be a good time to slip out for that lookaround she had been thinking of doing earlier in the afternoon. There was a certain warlock out there she had a need to get her hands on.

"Are you hungry,---William?" Buffy asked. He turned his attention to her and shook his head up and down slowly. She noticed the difference in his demeanor whenever she spoke to him. Almost as if he was frightened of her. She realized she had come across a bit overpowering. Was she like that all the time with Spike? If she was, he must be handling it rather well. He always had a good comeback.

It was like a game between the two of them, trying to outdo the other with verbal attacks. They once were told by a stanger passing by during one of their bantering sessions that they were such a cute couple. She went on to say how they must be so totally in love what with all the flirting they were doing with one another. Spike had growled at the passer-by, Buffy huffed and turned to walk away from the annoying vampire *and* stranger. How dare she even insinuate that she and Spike were a---couple. Never to be. Never.

"Dawn, can you come with me into the kitchen, please?" she looked back at William. "Excuse us just for a minute." He smiled slightly.

Dawn followed her sister into the other room. "What's up?"

"I'm going to go patrol. See if I can find myself a warlock and pound some sense out of him. There is salisbury steaks in the freezer. Pop them into the microwave. Make some instant mashed potatoes and open up a can of green beans or something. And by something, I mean something nutritious. Don't let him wander around the house and don't say anything until I get back, ok? I don't know what is up yet and if he finds out anything, I'm not sure how traumatic it will be for him. Just tell him I had to step out and will be back later. You think you can handle everything?"

"Buffy, I'm not 5. Yes, go patrol. Find out what you can. We'll just watch some---."

"Do *not* turn on the tv. Not the radio, nothing. If he happens to ask what it is, just tell him---tell him---your father's an inventor and that you don't know. Keep him in the living room. Just---talk with him. You seem to be doing that pretty well already."

"Oooh, I just realized something. I can find out all about his human life. Oh this is going to be so neat. I'll start supper now. Hurry and leave so we can talk. I don't think he likes you too much. Um, no offense."

Buffy's mouth dropped open. "I'm---likable---aren't I? I mean, I have friends and they like me and, and---."

Dawn patted her on the arm. "You are very likable, Buffy, just not by him. I think you scare him. You do seem to come across all superior whenever you're around him. Come to think of it, you're like that when you're around Spike, too. But Spike knows how to handle you and I think Spike likes you."

"Whatever. I'm going. Remember what I said."

"Yes, yes. Be careful!" Dawn called as the back door shut.

Back in the living room, William was standing in front of the fireplace looking at the items on the mantel. Pictures of the family and knicknacks were sitting on it. Dawn cleared her throat. He turned to look and smiled at her sweetly.

"Just having a look around. Your photographs seem so lifelike, not anything like I've---."

"Well, you know. Hey, I'm going to fix something to eat. If you want to have a seat and wait, I'll be done in a jiffy."

Dawn returned to the kitchen and quickly whipped up the meal Buffy had suggested. Every once in a while, a noise would come from the other room. She had a sneaking suspicion he was snooping around. Ten minutes later, supper was fixed and on plates ready to be eaten. She carried them into the adjoining room, stoppind dead in her tracks when she saw him. He sat directly in front of the television, gently running his fingers over the screen as pictures flashed across it. His eyes were wide and transfixed, not even noticing Dawn had come into the room. She groaned and set the plates onto the coffee table. She stood there, hands on her hips.

"So," he jumped at the sound of her voice and stood abruptly. "I see you found the button to turn on the tv."

"I do so apologize. Curiousity gets the better of me at times. I almost feel like I'm in another world. What part of London are we in and what is with all these---trinkets and devices and such?"

"Um,---well, you see. Oh, for pete's sake. William, you need to sit down."

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Buffy had traipsed through three cemeteries without any luck. A few vampires got dusted on the way, so the whole trip wasn't a total loss. She decided to head to Willy's even though she would rather not set foot in the place. Willy always wanted something in return for any information he gave her. She didn't have but $20 on her so it would have to do. He should be grateful she didn't torture him into submission. But, hey, you can only have so much fun torturing sleezy humans until it turned into dangerous territory, for the human that is.

The demon bar was filled to capacity for some unknown reason. Buffy's skin tingled, her blood boiled and her senses went on overdrive. A path opened up as she stepped in and made her way over to the bar. Willy saw her and instantly began to sweat.

"Willy, pal, no need to be so nervous. Just looking for someone and thought maybe you may have seen or heard of them. He's a warlock, someone not a Sunnydale resident. Last time he was seen was in the cemetery, Rossling cemetery a few nights ago, working a spell over an unconcious young girl. The girl got spooked and ran off. Not sure what he looks like but have heard he's cocky and stupid enough to threaten my slayer abilities. Sound familiar?"

"Uh, sorry Slayer. He doesn't frequent the place. You may want to try the uptown places where magic tossers go."

"Thanks anyway."

"Hey, don't I get anything in return?"

"You got a thank you and fist free face. What else do you want?"

Buffy turned to make her way back out when a large demon sitting in the dark corner spoke up.

"SSSlayer," he followed this with a couple of deep clicking sounds. She turned and stepped a little closer, ready to fight if need be.

"I believe, click, click, I know, click, click, who you are looking for, click. His name, click, click, is Sherman. He, click, is not from around, click, click, here. He's up to no, click, good, I can tell you, click, that. He goes to that, click, magic shop, click, uptown. You should, click, find him, click, there sometime. Clickkkkk."

"Uh, thanks, I think?" Buffy back away and left the bar. She looked at her watch and decided she would check the area the demon mentioned the next day. It was getting too late and something seemed to be bothering her.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

The back door opened and shut and Buffy walked back into the living room. Dawn was sitting on the edge of the couch, looking tense and bewildered.

"Hey," she squeeked.

"Dawn, where is Spike?"

"You mean William?"

"One in the same. Where are they both?"

"Well, you see, you remember when you said not to let him wander around and not to tell him anything?"

"Dawnie!" Buffy grumbled.

"How was I to know he was a snoop. I couldn't tie him down the whole time. I had to fix supper, you know. He---he learned how to turn the tv on. Then he started to ask questions and well, I couldn't lie to him. So, I told him what year it was, and where he was, but I didn't tell him what he was. I think he took it pretty hard. He---he sort of freaked out and ran out the front door. He was too quick. I looked up and down the block then thought I'd better wait for you to come home. I'm sorry, Buffy."

"Oh, god, Dawn, if we can't find him before sunrise, then we won't have too much to worry about explaining things to him. We need to find him and we have seven hours to do it in. Grab a couple more stakes and let's get going."

TBC