Summary: Spike unknowingly interferes with a warlock's spell casting, which angers the sorceror. He places a curse on Spike which causes the vampire to lose all memory of his life after being turned. *Set somewhere in season 5 before Spike admits his feelings for Buffy. And we know what Buffy thinks of Spike.*

A/N: Please Read Me, and even more so Review Me. I like knowing what you actually think!!

Disclaimer: Everyone bloody knows by now that I don't own even a smidgen of the rights to these delicious characters. The creator of BTVS does which is fine by me.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

"It's 11 o'clock, aren't you tired yet? Buffy said around a yawn.

"No, not sleepy yet. Come on, Buffy, it's Friday night. Mom is out of town for a whole week. I wanna stay up late and watch tv and eat junk food til I make myself sick. You're the slayer, for pete's sake. You should be used to these late nights. You wimp."

Dawn glanced over to her sister, who was curled up in a sitting position, throw pillow wedged between her head and her knees, dozing.

"Oh my gosh, Buffy, a killer whale!" Dawn screamed pointing at the television, panic evident in her voice. Buffy jumped, ready to spring into action and protect her sister from---those---killer---whales.

"Wha?---brat." Buffy stuck her tongue out at her sister, which was returned back to her along with a pfftt sound. Buffy laid her head back on her cushioned knees and began to doze off once more. An urgent rap sounded on the front door. Buffy jumped again, thinking Dawn was up to something else. No, Dawn was sitting in her designated spot on the couch, looking over at Buffy with eyes as round as saucers. Never can be good when someone comes knocking on your door just before midnight.

Buffy grabbed the blanket off of the back of the couch. She was already dressed for bed in her yummy sushi pajamas and really didn't feel it neccessary to share them with the rest of the neighborhood. She slowly cracked the door to peer out, noticing an agitated bleached blonde vampire rocking back and forth on his feet. He raised his brows when she peeked out. Buffy pulled the door open but stood there barricading the entrance.

"So, not welcome, huh?" He asked with his devilish charm.

"Spike, do you realize what time it is? Normal people are in bed at this time of the night."

"Well, you said it love. Must not be categorizing yourself under the normal column."

"What *you* think. I was asleep, thank you so much." She whined grouchily.

"Oh you were not, Buffy. Maybe dozing but you were up."

Buffy turned her head to glare at her sister. "Thanks, Dawn."

Spike took that opportunity to slither under Buffy's outstretched arm that was still holding the door open.

"Thanks, luv. Hello, bit."

Buffy, clasping the corners of the blanket, threw her arms up, looked at the ceiling and rolled her eyes. Grumbling, she shut the door, turned around and crossed her arms wrapping the blanket around her tighter.

"Spike, your like a pimple that won't go away. No matter how many times I pop you, you still show back up."

He smirked at her again, hooking his thumbs in the front of his jeans. "You having a problem with hygiene matters, pet? You know you like having me around, Slayer. Just admit it for once. Oh, by the way, nice jammies."

He plopped down on the couch next to Dawn making himself comfortable, watching the telly and munching on her big bowl of buttered popcorn. Buffy went back to her seat on the couch, eyeing the menace who didn't seem to care that Buffy was miffed about his presence.

"Okay, I give. Why are you here, Spike?"

"Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. I ran into a character earlier in the cemetery. He was doing some kind of hocus pocus on a bird. I couldn't attack him, of course, being human and all that rot and why didn't the government give this bloody chip the ability to be able to tell evil humans from good ones?"

Buffy shrugged, "Human is as human does, I guess." She laid her head back down on the pillow.

"Anyway, I got him good. I kept him distracted while the girl woke up and ran off. Was he ever pissed. Started waving his hands in the air, pointing at me and throwing curses in my general direction."

Dawn sat forward suddenly, looking at the vampire in surprise.

"Spike, are you saying he put a curse on you?"

"I wouldn't worry so much, bit. I think it was all talk and all show. You know, witches and warlocks really like to throw you off with their fancy ramblings and lightshows. I'm fine. Nothing happened."

"Buffy, did you hear that? Spike may have been cursed by a warlock."

Buffy was actually trying to ignore the whole conversation in general. She lifted her head to look at her little sister. Spike didn't seem too concerned about it, so why should she?

"Dawnie, he said nothing happend. He's fine, in a rude, arrogant, obscene kind of way."

Spike turned to look at Buffy. He touched her cheek gently and smiled. "Cheeky. I didn't know you cared so much about me."

Buffy gave him a scrutinized smile. "Believe me, if I ever did, I would never admit to it, to you or anybody else."

"Aw, I love you, too, Slayer in a wretched, putrified kind of way." He made sure to add on the bit at the end as not to give away his innermost feelings.

She reached over and pinched his arm causing him to grab the area and yell out.

"So, I don't suppose you know what he was doing exactly with his spell casting to this innocent girl?"

"No, I mean I came right out and asked him. You'd think a bloke wouldn't have been so rude and at least given me some straight answers. But no, he called me an imbecile and tried to dismiss me, right arrogant bastard. Hey, I even tried to scare him with the likes of you, luv, but didn't phase him. Nope, not one bit. Even had the nerve to tell me to run along and warn the slayer that he may or may not open the hellmouth."

"Great. What did you do to him, Spike?" Buffy gave him a stern look.

"Me? I didn't do a bloody thing except try to stop the bugger."

"Oh right. I know you and your big mouth with it's cocky attitude. You said something to him, something to get him all riled, didn't you?"

Spike held up his hands in surrender. "No, I didn't say a thing. Well, except I maybe told him that the slayer was gonna have his head on a platter, or something to that effect. Told me I better watch what I say around witches and warlocks from now on. But hey, I saved the girl, in a matter of speaking. Kept him busy so she could get away."

"Well, congratulations. But what do you think the spell he threw at you was all about?"

"Piffle", he waved it off. "He was all puffed up trying to look and sound threatening. Wasn't anything to worry your pretty little head about."

He turned and looked at Dawn. "You either, lil bit.---Hey you got anything more substantial to snack on in that icebox of yours? This is birdfood." He held up the almost empty bowl of popcorn.

Dawn grabbed him by the arm and hauled him off the couch to head towards the kitchen. Buffy sighed. The two pals were laughing and talking in the other room. Sometimes she was envious of their good natured friendship. Spike always had a way to take Dawn's worries and cares away and he treated her with his utmost care. She wished for a friendship like that.

Dawn bounced back into the living room and right onto the couch. Buffy giggled and shook her head at her over-enthusiastic sister. Spike tagged along behind her just as the clock on the mantel struck midnight. Buffy yawned and stretched, telling them in yawnese goodnight. She slowly lifted herself up off the couch when she heard a strange sound coming from Spike. She looked up in his general direction. He looked odd. His face, if it could be, seemed much more pale, much more than usual. His mouth hung open slightly and his eyes were opened wide as if something had surprised him. His hands and legs began to shake. Concern washed over her. She had never seen him like this before.

"Spike, what's wrong with you?"

Dawn jumped up off the couch, her laughter faltering. "Buffy, something's wrong."

"So help me Spike, if you're faking, I'm going to hurt you all over." Buffy scolded him but to herself, she sounded more upset to the fact of the sick vampire.

"Slayer," he croaked. "Buffy, something's wrong. I-I don't feel---so well. I---." His eyes rolled up as he dropped his snack on the floor. Buffy ran towards him as darkness enveloped him. He heard Dawn scream his name before he lost all conciousness. Buffy reached him before he hit the floor, sliding across the remainder of the livingroom floor on her knees and reaching out both arms to soften the fall for him. He lay there very still while she looked over him for any signs why this vampire now lay supine in her arms.

TBC