Author's Chapter Notes:
This might be my last update of one of my WIPs this week - if it is: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Chapter 4 – Self Preservation


“You’re not understanding the severity of this, Giles,” Buffy said, hastily following after him as he walked into the library. “I’m being stalked by some creature of the night – by the creature of the night, and you’re barely even batting an eyelash. This is a predicament. A full-fledged, in over my head, submerged in hell, swimming in a sea of chaos-”

“Leaning a little too closely to the overdramatic side of life,” Giles filled in.

“Giles!”

“Buffy, I know that you want some fairly straightforward answers, but I’m afraid I just don’t have those to give. I wish I could, and contrary to what you may think, I do understand the importance of the situation. But I’m afraid that there’s not much I can tell you, aside from the standard ‘be careful’.”

“You’re just the origin of all Watcherly knowledge, aren’t you?” she replied dryly. “So, I just patrol as if I’m not being followed by some crazed Dracula wannabe and continue with business as usual?”

“That basically sums it up, yes,” he said with a nod and an apologetic smile.

“Where do I go to apply for a new Watcher?” she asked with a pout, crossing her arms over her chest as Giles smiled condescendingly.

“England.”

* * * * *

Slamming her fist into the fledgling’s nose, Buffy smirked when he sprang back, obviously intent on taking down the Slayer. “Get over yourself,” she said with a roll of her eyes. “You’re not gonna take me. It would actually be better for all of us if you tried to run. Better for me because I would get more of a cardiovascular workout,” she continued, kicking his legs out from under him, keeping up her absentminded, one-sided conversation. “And better for you because you’d get another ten seconds of seeing your pitiful excuse for a life flash before your eyes.” Idly twirling her stake, she shook her head with a put-upon sigh when he moved to stand up. “No? It’s a pretty good offer, if I do say so myself, but oh well…” Trailing off as she thrust the stake into his chest, Buffy smiled, watching the vampire disintegrate in front of her.

“Can’t say I didn’t warn him,” she said with a shake of her head, walking through the cemetery, looking for her next fight. “Gee, new girl moves to town and none of the vamps wanna come out and play,” she said to herself.

No sooner were the words out of her mouth than a feeling of dread seemed to wash over her, letting her know exactly what she’d become accustomed to – that she was being watched. Her first instinct was still to run. Survival of the fittest, and judging by the power that he seemed to have over her, she wasn’t the fittest. But another part of her didn’t like the idea of staying holed up in her house while some creature of the night stalked her from the shadows.

Turning around, she scanned the tombstones, trying to get a glimpse of him. “Master or no Master,” she muttered to herself. “This bit is getting old.” Backtracking a few steps, she sighed when she felt him move behind her. “You know, this whole ‘hiding in the shadows’ routine you’ve got going… it’s really not working in your favor.”

“Why’s that, love?”

Slowly turning to face him, Buffy felt a shiver run down her spine when she saw his eyes on her.

“Because it’s really pissing me off,” she replied, trying to control the sharp intake of air when he slowly walked toward her as she kept her eyes leveled on his. “Don’t you want to see what it’s like to take on the Slayer?” she asked, praying to whatever higher being that might be listening that he wouldn’t take her up on her offer.

Spike smiled a slow, deceptive smile as he looked her up and down. Buffy wasn’t sure whether he was sizing up his opponent or his prey.

“I’ve taken on more than my share,” he replied, seeing her eyes widen slightly. It was the only visible reaction he got from her, but he could hear her heart pounding loudly against her chest, letting him know exactly how she was affected by his presence.

“That a fact?” she asked, keeping her calm exterior as she watched him. “Did you stalk all of them, too?”

Spike chuckled, seeing her eyes widen in response. “No, pet. Sought them out, toyed with them a bit, then went in for the final blow. Pity you’re as overconfident as they were.”

“Why? Because you’re the Master?” she asked, emphasizing the word sarcastically. “You seem to forget one little thing…”

“Care to enlighten me?” he asked in amusement.

“The Slayer is designed to take you down,” she said in a cold voice, her jaw tightening when Spike began to laugh.

“In theory, yeh,” he said with a smile that quickly turned more menacing. “But only in theory.”

“Why aren’t you fighting me?” she asked in frustration, not having any desire to fight this monster but knowing that these nightly visits were going to continue until she figured out a way to work them to her advantage.

“You’re not ready yet,” he said in a low voice, still walking toward her.

Buffy instinctively took a few steps back out of self-preservation when he continued walking toward her. “Ready for what?” she asked, moderately proud of herself that her voice didn’t seem to convey the fear that she was feeling.

Spike exhaled softly in what sounded like a quiet laugh as he bit his lip, studying her for a moment as Buffy backed into a crypt behind her. Seeing her eyes shoot nervously to the side to see what had blocked her path, his eyes darkened at the scent of fear that seemed to roll off of her. Leaning forward, he easily held her in place, one hand pressed against the stone surface on each side of her face. “Me,” he whispered softly, seeing her try to suppress a shiver.

Chuckling in amusement when she reached for her stake, Spike easily trapped her wrist in a strong grip, pressing her against the crypt. “Now, now,” he said in a condescending voice. “I just said you’re not ready, Slayer. I’m looking to add you to my collection, but not yet.”

“Collection?” she repeated, practically spitting the word. “If you think I’m going to let you vamp me, you’ve got another thing coming.”

“I was talking about the Slayers I’ve killed, pet,” he said, his hold loosening slightly, feeling the soft skin beneath his fingertips, gently trailing his hand along her arm. “But, if I’ve got a choice on what’s coming-”

Buffy grimaced, finally finding the strength to push him away from her, quickly moving away until she had more space to maneuver. “What the hell are you playing at?” she asked softly, standing her ground when Spike closed the distance between them.

“Now, if I told you, wouldn’t be nearly as interesting, would it?” he asked, his voice low and seductive. “Not often that I find a worthy opponent,” he continued, looking her up and down, seeing Buffy’s brow furrow in confusion.

“And I’m the one who you’ve chosen as ‘worthy’?” she asked, trembling when his hand lightly cupped her chin as his eyes seemed to search hers.

“Not yet,” he said calmly. “But by the time I’m finished with you… you will be.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” she asked, trying to control her breathing at the feel of his hand still in contact with her skin.

“Just what it sounds like, love,” he said, leaning in close as if he was going to kiss her, his lips a breath away from hers as he spoke to her. “If I wanted to kill a baby, I would,” he said, smiling when she tensed at being called a baby. “No, I want to see who you become before I have my fun.”

“And what happens when I become the person who kicks your sorry ass and jams a stake in your heart? Will that throw a wrench in the plan?” she asked, seeing a smile pull at his lips as he continued to look at her.

“Fight it all you want, Slayer. Just makes it all the more fun for me.”

Buffy shivered, having no idea what he was talking about. “And how long will this take?” she asked skeptically, having no intention of actually letting him ‘train’ her for her ultimate demise.

Spike quirked an eyebrow at her. “Guess that all depends on you, baby,” he whispered before leaning forward and pressing a light kiss to her cheek that had her trembling. “See you around.”

Buffy swallowed heavily as he turned around, his black duster swirling around him as he walked away, not at all concerned with turning his back on the Slayer. Taking a few steps back until she felt the mausoleum behind her, Buffy took in a shaky breath, trying to stop the fear from spreading through her. She hated the effect that he seemed to have on her. As if she was just an ordinary girl and not the Chosen One.

How was she supposed to fight someone who could simply look at her and manage to strip away all of her defenses and leave her bare?








Thanks so much to: spuffette, lisa, riam, jeanie, Juanita, slinkypsychokit, jenny, Whitelighter354, Franchesca, Stephanie, Crystal Pegasus, Cordykitten, spikestheman, romero, phantomwriter, gemma, BuffyandSpikeForever, Jessica & Chelsea for reviewing!