Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the lack of updates on my WIPs. I should be able to free up some time in a few weeks, but right now I'm just too busy for regular updates. I won't leave a story as a permanent WIP, but with the holidays so close, they will take a while. I hope you're still enjoying the story!
Chapter 5 – Fighting Another Battle


Spike felt his rage slowly building, blinding him to what he might actually be seeing as he approached the two by the door, a smug smile playing on his lips as he watched them, noticing that neither Buffy nor the bane of his family were paying attention to anything around them. The smile soon evaporated when he realized that they were so engrossed in each other, they didn’t even notice his presence.

“Slipping up, old man,” he muttered, his eyes on Angel as he continued talking to the Slayer.

“I won’t be long,” he overheard Angel telling her.

“No, you'll just give me a cryptic warning about some exciting new catastrophe and then disappear into the night. Right?”

Spike smiled at her sarcasm before narrowing his eyes at her attempt to flirt with the poofter.

“You're cold,” Angel replied, looking her up and down.

“You can take it,” Buffy said, obviously a little frustrated with him.

“I mean, you look cold,” he elaborated, taking off his jacket and wrapping it around her shoulders. Spike’s eyes flashed yellow in response.

“A little big on me,” Buffy said, not sounding as if she cared. Her eyes widened when she noticed the slashes on his arm. “What happened?”

“I didn't pay attention.”

“To somebody with a big fork?” she asked sarcastically, expecting him to say more.

“He's coming.”

“The Fork Guy?”

Through his anger, Spike managed to smirk at the tone of her voice.

“Don't let him corner you. Don't give him a moment's mercy. He'll rip your throat out.”

Spike rolled his eyes. Leave it to his grandchilde to think the way to the Slayer’s heart is through obscure messages.

“Okay, I'll give you improved marks for that one. Ripping a throat out is a strong visual- it's not cryptic!”

Nearly rolling his eyes again, he clenched his jaw at the naïve girl. ‘Any Big Bad will rip your throat out – it’s the one Peaches is talking about that needs more description,’ he thought as Angel hastily said, “I have to go.”

Spike narrowed his eyes as Buffy stared after him. “Sweet dreams to you, too.”

He was tempted to approach her. More than tempted. But even though her fear of him was invigorating, he didn’t desire that from her tonight. Not after watching her interaction with another man whom she was obviously attracted to.

He watched as her back straightened, tuning into his presence now that her distraction had walked away from her. Spike melted into the shadows, smiling when she didn’t hesitate to turn toward him, tuning into him more and more as the days passed.

Tonight wouldn’t be one of those nights. He wanted to see her, interact with her, but he knew it would be more beneficial to his plan if he left her wondering. Just for tonight.

* * * * *

Spike smirked, admiring her from the shadows as she fought the vampire. The same vampire that he had created – he hadn’t sired it, not lowering himself to that, but cutting off his hand had been a fun way to pass the time.

It was even more fun now that he watched the Slayer fighting an opponent that was slightly more difficult for her. She threw herself into the fight, but Spike could tell that she still seemed to be holding back.

He felt his cock hardening at the image of her using the same amount of passion while she moved beneath him.

Narrowing his eyes at the thought, Spike slowly approached her. “Dropping your shoulder, love,” he called out, seeing her spin around in surprise. Watching as she gasped in pain, her eyes traveling down to her stomach, Spike growled at the tightening in his own stomach. Stepping out of the shadows, he roared at the vampire she had previously been fighting, watching as the vamp recognized who he was, his eyes widening in fear.

Passing by him, he didn’t spare him a second glance as he ripped his head off, his eyes still on the injured Slayer.

Slowly approaching, Spike watched as she clutched her side, stepping away from him when she saw how close he was to her.

“Stay away from me,” she said, her voice shaking as he continued his slow walk toward her.

“Now, why would I want to do that?” he asked, closing his eyes as he inhaled. “When it seems a fresh meal is right in front of me.”

Buffy tried to control her nerves as she continued to move toward the street, never daring to turn her back on the vampire. “This was your plan, then?” she asked, breathing heavily, hoping to forget about some of the pain that she was in. “Get someone else to do the hard work for you and then step in for the final blow?”

Spike narrowed his eyes, not liking that she was able to strike a chord with him. “I fight my own battles,” he said in a low voice.

“Whatever you say,” she muttered, briefly looking to her left when she heard the sound of police officers approaching. Her momentary glance was the opportunity Spike needed.

Closing the distance between them, he grabbed her arm, roughly pulling her toward him. “One word, and I have them for a midnight snack,” he warned in a low voice.

Buffy looked up at him in contempt, clenching her jaw as she gave him a tight nod.

“Good girl,” he murmured, surprising her by pressing a kiss to her temple.

The kiss wasn’t for her benefit, however. She noticed that when the officers approached them, wincing as Spike pulled her into his side, trying to fight the nerves she was feeling as the Master tightened his hold on her.

“Evening,” one of the officers said, nodding to both of them. “Little late to be out, isn’t it?”

“We were just on our way,” Spike said with a smile that almost could’ve been considered warm.

The other officer seemed to be studying Buffy. “You alright, miss?”

“I’m fine,” she said, offering a tight smile as Spike’s hold on her arm turned brutal, subtly hiding her bleeding stomach.

“How old are you?”

“Eighteen,” she lied without hesitation, knowing that Spike wouldn’t hesitate to kill these men, also knowing that she was in no condition to be fighting him. Not with the cuts that now layered her midsection.

“Do you have any identification?”

“Not with me,” she said, holding her breath as a fresh burst of pain seemed to shoot through her body.

“You’re going home now?” the officer asked warily.

“Yes,” Spike replied, obviously getting tired of the men.

“Alright.”

Not saying anything, Spike turned Buffy away from the officers, leading her through a winding path toward the entrance of the park.

“Wouldn’t know you could act so domesticated,” she said, gritting her teeth as she tried to keep the tears from springing to her eyes at the pain.

Clenching his jaw to control the bloodlust racing through him, Spike was tempted to say to hell with a fair fight. It would be easy enough just to drain her and leave her in the park for some poor, unfortunate person to stumble across her. But he managed to keep a tight rein on his urges, guiding her toward the back entrance of the park that was still open.

Feeling Buffy stiffen as she realized just how alone they were, Spike smiled. “Don’t worry, love,” he said in a voice that was too calm for her liking. “Not like anyone strong enough to help you would be on your side. Not to mention the fact that they’d have to face off with me, and we both know how that would go.”

Buffy stayed quiet, her brain working overtime to try and figure out a way out of this. Cursing herself for being distracted long enough to get injured, let alone falling into the hands of her most feared enemy. Not that she would let him know that.

“Where are you taking me?” she asked, proud of herself that she was able to keep the nervousness out of her voice, not wanting him to know how much he was affecting her.

She was too young and too immature as the Slayer to know that her fear was feeding his senses just by walking next to her, causing more than one reaction to race through his body in response.

His whispered reply sent a shiver racing through her, even as her eyes continued to stare straight ahead, her hands weakly clutching her stomach.

“Somewhere we can be alone.”








Thanks so much to: Cordykitten, Whitelighter354, riam, BuffyandSpikeForever, Smitten, Bernardette, spuffette Tasha, gaillee & Jessica for reviewing!