**Definition taken from the Random House Dictionary.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

**comfort: to soothe or console

Willow had come home while Buffy was making up the couch as a makeshift bed. She stood and watched her not wanting to interrupt. When Buffy pulled the drapes tightly closed, Willow figured out who she was making the couch up for.

"Where is he?" she asked, startling Buffy out of her deep reverie.

"Oh, Willow. I didn't hear you come in. Where? Who?"

Willow smiled and lowered her gaze. "Spike, you know that vampire we all love to hate."

"Oh, he's…he's in the kitchen with Dawn. Having some one-on-one catching up and drinking hot cocoa. Actually she's doing a bit of diversion. Keeping the delirious vampire sane and focused."

"Do you trust him in there with her?

Buffy straightened up and looked at Willow with disdain.

"Yes, I do. I don't know why but I just do."

"Good, I just wanted to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. How is he? He was totally off his rocker when I saw him last in the school basement. Do you know what’s wrong with him?"

Buffy's jaw dropped. "Yes, I do. You went to see him in the basement? When?"

"Right after I found the skinned body. He kept talking like there was someone else in the room, something about glowing or whatever."

"Huh, you were there the same time Xander and I were there. Now it makes sense. Maybe he's not as insane as I thought. He could see you when we couldn't. He was talking to me about glowing."

"Oh, wow. So why he is acting this way?"

"He went out and got himself a soul."

"No way! He decided to get one? Why?"

"Well…he said…for me." Buffy's voice drifted off. Willow stood and stared at Buffy, flabbergasted.

"Buffy, that's unreal. Is it because of what happened last spring? In the bathroom?"

"How do…Do you know what happened?"

"Not really, but I had a feeling something not so nice went down between you two. Am I right?"

"Yeah, it did. He…attacked me. Thought he could make me feel love for him. He lost all grasp of reality, I think. I threw him off of me. Willow…I was so scared and angry at him. I didn't even give him a chance to say anything. He ran off and I guess left town shortly after that. Next time I saw him was on Dawn's first day back to school, when I had to go down to the basement to fight the…whatever they were called. I found out a week later that he had a soul. He told me…he said he got it for me…so he could give me what I deserve. I couldn't handle it. I couldn't handle what he had done. I mean come on, a soul. That's a big deal. He's been helping us though. And I think whatever evil is lurking around the hellmouth is making him worse. I just couldn't stand to see him in such pain anymore. I think…I know he was hurting himself. He needs help, he needs guidance. I feel like I should do this. Wanna help?

"Do you think I'm worthy enough to help? I mean, come on Buffy, I'm struggling with my own redemption at the moment."

"Yes, but you are at least on the right path. Maybe that will be good for him to see. Maybe just talk to him. Let him know that you understand."

"Ok, I think I can do that. Hopefully I won't turn him in the opposite direction. Good night Buffy, I'll see you in the morning. Love you"

"G'night Willow. I love you, too."

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Dawn poured out a bunch of miniature marshmallows on the countertop between the two of them. Spike looked up at her giving her a sincere smile.

"So, does it hurt?" she asked earnestly.

He cocked his head slightly, then looked down into his mug of cocoa again. "Every minute of everyday."

"I'm sorry…sorry that it hurts so much. "

"Don't be, bit. I deserve it."

"Maybe, maybe not. Do you want to get better, to be good, do good?"

"Do you think I could?"

"I think you can do anything if you really want to."

"Then just maybe I could." He smiled at her again.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

Not too long after Buffy had crawled into bed that night and just when she started drifting off, her bedroom door creaked slightly. Her eyes shot open and she listened more intently. A click. Her door had been opened and closed and now she felt that familiar tickle in her lower belly. She sat up quickly in bed. She couldn't see him even though she knew he was there.

"Spike, don't do this to me. What is it?"

"Buffy." His voice sounded so distressed. "Sorry." A pause.

"Buffy, can I just sit right here tonight? I won't bother you and I'll stay right here."

"What's wrong, Spike? What happened?"

"They're looking for me. It's cause I'm alone, I know. They prey on my fears."

"No one is going to bother you here, Spike. You're safe here, with us."

"But they creep into my mind. Please help me. If I'm really quiet they won't find me. Help me to be quiet?" His voice trembled and she realized he was actually afraid; he had started crying again.

She got out of bed and made her way over to where he leaned up against the door. Kneeling down next to him, she reached out and pulled his head over to her shoulder. It took a bit, but he finally relaxed and wrapped his arms around her tiny waist. She stroked his hair gently and rocked, shushing him until he calmed himself enough to stop the crying. He pulled away from her slowly and lowered his gaze once again feeling like a blubbering nitwit. One day, he thought, I won't have to cry in front of her.

Buffy stood and walked back to her bed. She grabbed a pillow and the extra blanket that lay at the foot of her bed. She tossed them onto the floor next to her. He just stared; she stared back.

"I'd rather you lay down and get some sleep than to have you sitting there up against my door all night. Spike, come over here and sleep. We'll talk some more in the morning and figure out where to go from here. I mean, a place for you to live."

Spike crawled over on his hands and knees to the pillow and blanket. Buffy giggled softly at watching him do this. She pulled the covers back up the same time Spike laid down. He turned his head and looked at her.

"I think I'm going to be telling you thank you a lot in the days ahead. If I don't ever say thank you, just know that I do. Good night, Buffy."

"Good night, Spike."

TBC