**Definition taken from the Random House Dictionary.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

**honor: high public esteem

Spike had never actually been on a date before, so he wasn't sure what Buffy was expecting. Xander tried his best at giving advice before he left by telling him to "just be yourself, or maybe not, or just…don't do anything stupid". Now he understood why Xander didn't go out much.

He found a table, and offered to get something from the bar, sustenance and beverages. On his way to the table, though, he spied two college aged guys hovering and leaning near Buffy. He knew what they were up to, trying to steal his girl. Was Buffy actually his girl? And why was she tolerating their intrusiveness? He felt the growl begin low, in the deep recesses of his gut, an inaudible rumble to human ears. It slowly started to rise up to his chest though, the closer he got to the table and the vultures that were surrounding his Buffy.

'Pull it together, play it cool, Spike', he told himself.

When Buffy saw him, she seemed overly excited. She even called him by his real name.

"William, there you are. These guys didn't believe I was here with my date. Look guys, my date."

"Yes, I'm back, Buffy's date, ready to sit down and…have my date with…Buffy. So, see ya later, fellas."

"Maybe we can catch you out on the dance floor later," the tall, husky boy announced.

"Yeah, it doesn't look like William here is much of a dancer. Catch ya later, babe," the other guy added with a wink.

Buffy closed her eyes and let her head fall forward. She glanced up at Spike when she noticed he was growling. He was watching the two guys walk away, like a predator stalking its prey. She placed her hand on his arm.

"Down, boy. They're gone, they won't be bothering me anymore, so don't let them bother you."

Spike met her gaze, giving her a sweet smile.

"Sorry it took so long with the food."

"I thought maybe you chickened out on me and stood me up."

"Never, I would never do that. Thought about it…but would never do it." The both of them started laughing. 'This is a good start so why do I feel like such a ponce?' he berated himself. Buffy leaned in closer to him as they sat and ate which made another type of rumbling began, a purr of deep happiness and satisfaction.

As the evening wore on, the couple seemed to relax enough to enjoy their time together, just sitting and talking. Spike knew Buffy really wanted to dance by the way she watched the other couples out on the dance floor and every once in a while spying her moving slightly with the music. He wasn't about to go there; he wasn't going to make a complete idiot of himself. She yawned and caught herself doing it.

"Sorry, that wasn't because of you. Just sleepy," she explained honestly.

"Ready to go then, luv? Get you back home and tucked in. I forgot you have to get up and go to work tomorrow."

"Yeah, maybe we should go."

As they stood to go, a slow song began to play, the first one of the evening actually. She stopped and turned to watch the sheer intimacy of the couples dancing close to one another. Spike observed this and decided a slow song wouldn't make him look like too much of a pouf. He laid her jacket back down on the stool, and slid his hand into hers.

"Come on, luv. You deserve to have a dance." He gently pulled her along with him out onto the floor.

They stood facing one another, not quite sure where to place their hands. She finally slid her arms around his neck, prompting him to wrap his arms around her small waist and gently swayed to the music, their tense bodies finally relaxing and coming together. They had been this close before, why was it so hard now to touch? He realized this was actually the first time they ever danced together, as in dancing to music, so yes, this was totally different…but pleasantly nice.

They walked home in silence, Buffy holding onto Spike's hand the whole way to Revello Drive. He followed her up the steps to the front door stopping before he reached the top. She noticed he did not follow her to the door and turned to ask him if he was coming in. He shook his head no.

"I better get back, let you get some sleep. Buffy…"

"I had a nice time tonight," she interrupted him. "Sorry, I just wanted you to know, it was fun. I had fun. Maybe next time…"

"So, there will be a next time?"

"Of course, don't you want to go out together again?"

"Always." he softly replied.

Buffy leaned towards him, but Spike slipped his hand into hers, dragging it up to his mouth and placing a tender kiss on the back of it. As quick as lightning, she slid her free hand behind his neck, pulling his mouth to meet hers and kissing him deeply. When she pulled back from the kiss, she sighed and when she opened her eyes, she wanted to giggle. He looked shocked, even a bit flushed if at all possible and he was panting. It had been a while since they shared a kiss and they were never like that before. This one had more meaning, more tenderness, more feeling because it was a fresh start, a new beginning, a first kiss.

"Goodnight, Buffy. I'll see you later?"

"Definitely, goodnight.

**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

A few weeks later, everything seemed to be moving forward at a slow and steady rate. Rarely did an evening go by without any snuggling, or smoochies involved. They both decided that slow was better, so progressing to the next stage of a relationship was placed on hold.

They continued to patrol together on a regular basis. One particular night on patrol, the duo was hit pretty hard. Not only did the normal, run of the mill vampire show up, but three super big, super strong, and super ugly demons decided to try their best to intervene on a somewhat possible peaceful patrol. Unfortunately, along with the massiveness of the three, came their cocky attitude. Buffy assumed they must have been males; the testosterone hung heavy around them. They taunted the vampire, calling him names, threatening to take his girlfriend away from him and leaving him a bloody pulp on the ground. His manliness was being questioned.

"You boys better be careful, you don't know who you're dealing with. He's the big bad, William the Bloody, the scourge of Europe, slayer of slayers." Buffy was making sure who they were goading, almost sounding proud of the company she was keeping.

"Aren't you the slayer, little girl?

"I wormed my way onto his good side. What can I say, I'm tolerable and lovable."

A fierce battle ensued. Spike took the three on by himself. He wouldn't let Buffy help at all. They called him out, by God he was going to finish what they started. One of the demons escaped the wrath of Spike and headed in her direction. Buffy kneed it in the groin, causing it to fall in a heap on the ground, writhing in pain. Spike glared at her and she just shrugged her shoulders at him.

"What was I to do? He wanted to play."

Spike finished the other two off with a twist here and a snap there, breaking both of the demons' necks. The remaining demon slowly pulled himself up off the ground and stared at the couple. He began to beg for his life, adding that he would never hurt another human ever again. Buffy stepped towards the demon.

"Just remember to never tease Spike again or his slayer. Understood?"

"Yeah, yeah." He took off running with his tail between his legs which was, now that she looked at it, disgusting.

"Spike or his slayer, huh?" Spike asked with amusement.

"Well, I wanted you to have the honor of the battle. I was just a spectator of the sport, well except for a little groinage action, buy hey, that was his fault. He was too chicken to mess with the likes of you and tried to hurt the poor, defenseless little girl."

Spike began to laugh and Buffy joined him.

"Defenseless my ass…Thanks, that was bloody great. I was a bloody animal," he yelled to no one in particular, thumping his chest like a mighty beast of the jungle.

"Oh, geesh, let's get you home before your head explodes, Tarzan."

"If me Tarzan, then you Jane." And he scooped her up and threw her over his shoulder as she screamed, kicked and giggled while realizing she was having the most fun on a patrol that she had ever experienced.

TBC