Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh you Wesley lovers.......have faith........
On the road May 14th 7 p.m.

Conner drove as Spike slept. Lorne was taking care of Aidan, while Illyria sat quietly in the passenger seat. Oz had left about four hours ago. He, like the others agreed with Spike that Oz would be able to travel faster and safer on his own. Today they had taken their time, shopping for clothes, food, and supplies they'd need on the road.

He wanted to ask his new mentor more about slayers, but he'd seen the pain in the vampire's eyes earlier and it held him back from asking. Now was not the time, but he knew he'd have to ask soon. Something told him it was information he was going to need to know more about.

Conner looked over and noticed the intense look on Illyria's face. "What are you thinking about? He asked, not used to seeing emotion of any kind on her face.

Illyria turned and answered by asking, "Why do you want to know?"

"Could be I'm looking to strike up a conversation to make the time go quicker, or maybe I'm asking as a friend why you are looking so serious right now." He offered as an explanation.

"You are a lot like Spike." She told him as she watched his reaction to her words.

"In what way?" He asked curious how she came to think that.

"You are both more curious then you should be. You both also have a way of expressing yourself that makes one pay attention, or get angry and react to your words."

"Hmmm, could be a family trait, or just a coincidence." He answered, thinking to himself he'd have to pay closer attention to the vampire.

"I was trying to make sense of everything that has happened so far. Asking myself why I'm here helping the humans." She suddenly said, not knowing why she was sharing this with him.

He heard the underlying confusion in her voice. Just wasn't sure if it was because she was in Fred's image and so some of Fred's thought and beliefs were fighting to be noticed. Unless it was something else was happening to the warrior goddess altogether.

"Honestly, I think it's normal to question one's self. I know I question myself too. There are only two answers I can come up with. One is I want to carry on my father's mission to help the helpless. Second is that I like living in this world and will fight to keep from it being taken over by demons who wish to destroy all humans or enslave them." He explained, hoping it would help her with what she appeared to be going through.

"Why this world? So much death, destruction, and betrayal brought on by their greed and selfishness." She asked, wondering why he'd want to save this world.

"I give you that, but there is also continuing life for the human race like we see in Aidan. Loyalty and bravery exists, as seen among those that were willing to die to protect mankind, like Gunn, Wesley, and Cordy." Conner gave as his reasons. "No they are not perfect, but would the demons do any better? Their own greed and selfishness brought on down their fall from power, didn't it?"

She replied, "You are wise for one so young," finding his words inspiring her to remain by their sides. "If the demons do take over, then it would be the end of mankind. For they would not let a human live, since they'd defeated them once before."

"Let's just say I've lived more then a lifetime in my short time here on earth. I just hope I get a chance to add a few more years, and make my dad proud." Again, his words touched a part of her that made her belief he and others like him deserved to have a chance to make this a better world.

Illyria looked at the young man before her and felt something strange happening inside of her. Somewhere inside she knew he was giving her the reason why she would fight beside them. During her time observing them she came to realize if given the chance the humans would be more open to pure demons living amongst them, then the pure demons accepting humans. For evil men and women walked upon this earth, and the brave fought to protect others from them. Where the pure demons would let the weak perish, for within them it was survival of the fittest.

"Did you know this Fred very well?" She asked.

"Not as much as I'd have like too. I was one angry young man when I was returned to them." Conner sighed, feeling a sense of loss of having never going to be able to change any of that with his dad's friends.

"I wish you can tell me more about her. Maybe tell me why you were never close to your father."

Conner gripped the steering wheel tighter as he answered, "Sure, I'll tell you what I remember."

Illyria sat back and listened as Conner gave her some history on this person's body she'd taken over. Then felt a sense of sadness when he explained his past, and how he had came to be separated as a baby from his family. Any time he mentioned Wesley's name she felt as if a part of her was missing. He continued on telling her everything that had happened to him, giving her a better understanding of everyone and everything around her.

*******

Lorne rocked the baby back and forth as he listened as Conner and Illyria talked. Something about her was different. He was sure it had something to do with her being in Fred's image all the time now. He felt a sense of sadness and yet happiness as Conner told her about the others.

Soon he slowly tuned them out, as he started to think to ask himself. He wondered if Nino and Silver would help them once they arrived in Cleveland. Nino, he knew had no love for pure demons, and neither did Silver. It would be something to talk to Spike about at a later date.

"Sleep little one, your daddy dearest, will sleep better if you do. I think." Lorne whispered to the baby after noticing Spike tossing unusually in his sleep. The vampire usually slept like the undead that he was.

*******

Cleveland May 14th 9 pm

Faith sat at the crowded bar as Robin stood beside her. Both keeping an eye out for either Silver or Nino, having been told either one of them would make an appearance. Faith's slayer sense told her they were being watched very closely. Her gut was telling her that soon one of the two owners would make contact.

Robin watched as the bartender approached them. He wondered if the man were coming to tell them that one of his bosses would see them now. His gut was burning, for he felt that something big about to go down.

"She will see you now."

"Fine." Robin replied.

"Only the Slayer was invited." The bartender informed them, "and I was told there would be no negotiations."

Robin was about to say something when Faith motioned for him to keep quiet as she turned and answered, "Lead the way."

Wood watched as his girl stood up and followed the bartender down to the end of the bar and then disappeared. He placed his hand near his weapons. Tonight he carried a mixture of stakes, a gun with silver bullets, and another one loaded with holy water, and a bowie knife. Around his neck he wore a gold cross that Faith had given him.

*******

Silver sat behind her desk waiting for the second oldest slayer to arrive. She had mixed feelings about agreeing to this meeting, but the woman had proved in the past she could be trusted to keep her word.

"Please have as seat." Silver offered once Faith entered her office.

"Thank you." Faith replied, deciding this would be a time that politeness would be the course of action.

"I will get right to the point then, what is it we can do for you?" Silver asked.

"Was wondering if you could help us locate someone?" Faith asked.

"It might depend on who it is you seek." Silver answered with an expression Faith couldn't read.

"You know a demon by the name of Lorne?"

"I might, why do you ask?"

"We share a mutual friend that he might be able to give me some answers about." Faith offered, keeping things low key for now.

"I see." Silver replied as she sat forward leaning her arms on the desk top. "I'm not sure I can help you with this matter."

"Why is that?" Faith asked, feeling a sense the woman knew more then she was letting on.

"It would bring unwanted eyes here if I would even attempt to find him right now."

"So he's alive?"

"That would mean I would have to ask around and find out. It would still be unacceptable right now for us to do something like that. We do not want the eyes of those more powerful then ours upon us." Silver said without any emotion noted, nothing that would given Faith any incentive to continue.

"I hope once things settle down you might be able to help us locate him." Faith offered, hoping the demon's answer would give her some idea if she'd help them later on.

"Why is this so important to you?" Silver asked, hoping to get the woman to open up more.

"I have a hard time believing that Angel tried to overtake evil.com." Faith decided to be upfront. "I think Lorne would be able to give me answers I need to find out what really happened."

"I hear a woman's intuition it very seldom wrong." Silver replied as her lips formed a knowing smirk. "Tell me about this so called watcher Andrew?"

"He's fresh and untouched to what they used to be."

"So, he has not been corrupted by the power of the counsel?" The woman asked.

"Not that I can tell, and most of the old fogies aren't around anymore." Faith answered, knowing the subject on Lorne was closed for now.

"He intrigued Nino and he feels he can trust the human." Silver decided to share that bit of information. "My other half wishes to meet with him tomorrow night."

"That can be arranged. I think it might even make Andrew's day." Faith said with a snicker, "He's not really bad once you get to know him."

"For some reason I think you are lying to me." Silver replied, thinking the man seemed annoying to her.

"I guess you will have to get to know him yourself and find out." Faith suggested as she smiled mischievously.

"I will pass a message on to this Andrew if we should meet again." Silver offered knowing she couldn't tell Faith anything more without talking to Nino first.

"I appreciate that you've taken the time to see me."

"I have to say, you've grown into a remarkable woman and before you say anything, we've been watching slayers for quite sometime now. All demons who wish to survive do." Silver said, while thinking to herself how they'd been waiting for when The Chosen One to appear. That with her resurrection she would bring back the race that once was so powerful they sent the demon God's to their resting place.

"I'm not surprised. I guess I would've done the same."

"I wish you luck in finding the person it is you seek." Silver said as she stood, indicating the conversation was over.

"Thank you for your time." Faith politely said, not wanting to push, realizing how much she'd come to be more diplomatic under Robin's guidance.

No more words were said as the slayer left the office and Nino Biggs entered using a secret door. The look they shared made them cringe, for both knew the human woman was pregnant. Making that one more significant sign telling them that the time to choose a side had come.

"Do you know how to contact Lorne?" Silver asked her lover.

"He's phone is no longer working." Nino said with a hint of sadness to his voice. "I could contact Ernie, but I'm not sure I should involve him in this just yet."

"I think we talk with this Andrew and see what information we can get out of him. Get an idea if this new Watcher's Counsel is really new and improved or still as untrusting as the last one."

"If Roger Wyndhm-Pryce is still a strong influence I'm not sure we can trust them." Nino added, remembering a time the man tried to kill innocent harmless demons, only because he could.

"I hear that Rupert Giles heads them now."

"If that is true then we might be able to work with them and offer our assistance. If not then we will have to go underground for awhile and see what happens." Biggs said, as his mate nodded her agreement.

*******

Robin relaxed when he noticed Faith return all relaxed. He felt encouraged that things seemed to have gone well. The last thing they needed right now was to make enemies right now. Angel's demise needed to be laid to rest enough that his girl was satisfied.

"So how did it go?" He asked.

"Better then I thought, but I think they know more then what they are telling us." She said as she leaned in and kissed his lips. "Take me home and I will tell you everything that went on."

"Gotcha, baby." He replied, seeing how tired she was.

*******

Brazil May 14th 10 p.m.

Kennedy sat curled up in the recliner, watching TV wondering what Willow was doing right now. She knew they hadn't parted on good terms, and was sure they wouldn't be a couple after this. It just got her goat that everyone still treated Buffy like she was royalty, even with Summers having taken a leave of absence the past six months.

Sipping on her wine she kept thinking that she was a better slayer then Miss Buffy Summers. It was wrong that Buffy had given Spike or Angel the time of day, let alone have had an intimate relationship with either vampires. Believing it was no big deal that a demon went against his nature and give up his existence to close a Hellmouth.

Wesley stood off to the side for living room watching the silly inexperienced slayer. He knew she was going to be too easy to kill. The ex-watcher knew her type, all cocky and nothing to back it up with. Looking at the sword in one hand and the dagger in the other, he arranged the longer blade how he wanted it between the cushions on the couch.

"What do they teach slayers these days?" Wes asked as sauntered toward her. "Tsk, tsk, a slayer not on top of her game. Just goes to show the bad teachings of the young today."

Kennedy jumped up looking for anything she could use a weapon. "Wesley, why are you here?" She asked, having recognizing him when they stopped in L.A. last year. She tried to distract him long enough to get to the weapons chest, feeling something threatening about him by asking. "Are you okay?"

"Stupid chit, you should always have something close, even a stake." Wes admonished her with a shake of his head. "This is what happens when you have more slayers then watchers. What was Rupert thinking letting little girls be without their surrogate Daddies?"

Kennedy glared at him when he moved between her the weapons. "Won't ask again, why are you here?"

"Oh, I'm here to kill you, my dear sweet victim." He taunted, with a charming smile.

"I'm no one's victim."

"You are now! I hope you've been a good girl, and confessed all your sins." Wes purred as he advanced on the unarmed slayer.

Kennedy moved into a defense stance as she prepared to fight for her life. There was no way she was going to let one man defeat her after surviving fighting a group of Uber vamps.

Wesley circled, knowing he'd be able to make her take first swing. Just to make it more appealing he flung his knife watching it land, embedding itself in the floor between the woman's feet.

"I think we can do this honorably." He said as he watched her bend for the knife, "or not."

Her hand was just inches from the knife's handle when he struck, grabbing her by her hair and flinging her toward the couch. The slayer never saw it coming as she fell upon the sword he'd placed pointing upwards between the cushions.

Wesley circled around her with an evil smirk on her face. "You are nothing like Buffy or Faith, dear grasshopper. They would've given me a fight worth writing about. Sloppy work slayer wannabe, too bad you didn't pay more attention to your elders."

"Fuck you!" Kennedy forced out, feeling her life leaving her body.

"Sorry, I'm not your type, and you are such a sore loser." Wesley leaned in and said, "Too bad, you had potential if only you didn't believe yourself to be more then you were. Never will anyone be as good as 'The Chosen One'. She will be a pleasure to fight, for she will make it feel more challenging, unlike you, when I take her life."

Kennedy felt it harder to breathe and felt the cold mark of death taking over. The last thing she heard was the man who she last remembered seeing in L.A. working for Angel, evil laughter. He was supposed to be on the same side as she, working for the good guys. Thinking to herself this was not the way she had seen her death, her neck was untouched.

Wesley felt the thrill of his first kill, as he watched her blood drain down on to the cream colored couch. It wasn't as fun as he thought it would be. He found himself disappointed having expected more from one that fought against The First's army. But then again, there was no watcher here, making sure that she trained, as she should. He hoped the next time his opponent would be more equipped to give him a more proper fight.

Someone clapping behind him made him turn toward the noise. "Good show, just a bit quick."

"Can't help it if the competition is not up to par, now can I." Wesley interjected in his defense.

"Oh, not complaining, it was rather inventive, I might add." Nick complimented him. "Short and sweet, with no hesitation to get it done which is very promising, since this was your first kill since switching sides."

Wesley chuckled as he walked over to retrieve his dagger as he replied. "When do I go to London?"

"Very soon, it would seem your father is worried about you."

"Now that I find amazing. I really didn't think he'd break a sweat worrying about anyone other than himself." Wesley answered as he picked up the sword, and then used his foot to remove the blade from the body. Watching as the lifeless shell it now was, fall to the floor with a thud.

"The Witch's taste really has diminished." Nick sighed as he watched his new acquisition so heartlessly retrieve his weapon. "Her previous lover would've been much more pleasant conquest."

"I have to agree." Wesley replied.

"Come and let us plan how we're going to get you to London." Nick suggested, thinking it was time to give the man a real challenge.

"Lead the way Master." Wesley answered with a slight bow, right before they teleported back to Nick's home.

*******

Amsterdam May 15th 3 a.m.

She tried to break free and couldn't. The beast was dragging her to her death and there was nothing she could do to stop him. Blood and bodies were scattered all around. Everyone she loved lay dead or dying around her, as she was being dragged to her own demise.

"Spike! She screamed.

"He cannot help you my lovely morsel, remember you led him to his death." The beast reminded her. "He died to give you a chance to live a normal live and what do you do? You squander it. You would be by my side if only you'd been able to leave his memory behind you."

"Never would I help you." She declared, "I would rather die trying to defeat you instead."

"Well you are about to get your wish, Slayer." The beast roared as he started to swing his huge claw toward her.

Buffy woke up startled, knowing she was having a slayer dream. It was coming, the beast was real…and something told her she already knew him from somewhere. It took her a moment to realize someone was holding her and telling her it was okay, and it was only a dream.

"Come on Buffy, talk to me. It's only a dream." Xander tried his best to calm her.

Buffy gently pushed him back as she took a few deep breaths, noticing the cleaning people giving her strange looks as they walked away. She so hoped she hadn't said anything too weird or upsetting.

"Tell me I didn't say anything?" She asked quietly.

"No, just a lot of thrashing about like someone was after you." He replied as he leaned back a bit, giving her some space. "You want to tell me about it?"

"I do, just not sure how you will take it." She explained, "But I will say I was calling out for Spike to help me. I know you didn't like him."

"Buffy, its okay, I've had a lot of time to think about the special relationship you had with fang boy Junior. I have to say he proved himself to be loyal to you even when everyone else lost faith in you. He had your back, just like you said, and he never wavered one bit. He never gave up on you." Xander for the first time was able to overcome his hatred for the vampire and come to terms with the good Spike had performed that day.

"Where is the real Alexander Harris?" She teased, feeling more at ease then she ever had with Xander, almost like before Angel had come into their lives.

"I've had a few things pointed out to me recently that made me think outside the box." He replied, remembering something Anya had said in his dream.

"It's really an eye opener when that happens, let me tell ya." She agreed.

"Yeah, it is." He said, understanding now what Anya had meant. He needed to accept Spike and his love for Buffy and her feelings for the vampire. "If you do want to talk about him, I will listen."

Buffy again leaned closer and whispered, "You are Xander Harris, right?"

Xander chuckled as he nodded, "Yes, I'm the new and improved best friend who has a changed opinion of one 'William the Bloody' AKA Spike."

Buffy took his hand and squeezed it and shared something she never told anyone else. "I did and still do love him. I hope you can accept that."

"Yeah, I can." Xander assured her. "I feel the same about Anya, and I miss her too."

"They were something else, weren't they? Both of them could tell you like it was without blinking an eye. If he hadn't found me that night I left, I don't know what I would've done." She told him.

"He said a few things that night that now make sense."

"But that was more of The First making waves." Buffy said in defense of Xander's and the other's actions, or at least what she thought them to be.

"No, Buffy, we let our fears get in our way. I still can't believe we thought Faith would be more equipped to take on Caleb, and his bad ass boss then you."

"You'd just lost your eye. I could see how you lost faith in me." She whispered.

"No, you've never given us reason to doubt you, never. Spike was right. We turned our backs on you after everything you've been through, and you never gave up before." Xander said, speaking softly so no one overheard him. "But it's in the past, and I promise you I will watch your back and never lose my faith in you again."

"I so needed to know that, for I think something bad is coming and it's going to make The First look like kindergarten play." She shared, realizing this truly was a new and improved Xander beside her. "It's why I'm going to Cleveland. I have a feeling that whatever happened in L.A. is a precursor to what is coming."

"I'm with you Summers." Xander promised, "I have to say Spike was one smart guy to put his belief in the one woman that should've been his worst enemy."

"I have to say he was special in many ways. I just wish I could've seen him that night, one on one with Faith."

"Well, I can say I'm glad he was man enough to walk away when he did. If not, I don't think she'd be with us today." Xander replied.

"So you think he could've taken her?" Buffy asked, knowing in her heart Spike could've killed Faith that night if he wanted too.

"She was sloppy, I mean she'd been away from real training and hadn't been slaying while in prison. Even slayers need to train, right?"

"Yes, even slayers have to train." Buffy agreed. "Which, I'm going to have to get back into the swing of things when we get into Cleveland."

"Will help any way I can."

Anyone that witnessed the couple would've thought them to be lovers with how they were cuddled. No one paid attention to the couple as they continued to talk low, so no one could hear them. She quietly told him about her dream, and he told her about his. No one would've guessed right calling them lovers. They were just too friends talking about things no one would understand, or think they were crazy. No one believed in vampires, witches, demons, or things that actually do go bump in the night.

*******