Author's Chapter Notes:
I wish to thank everyone that has reviewed in the past, and present.
Los Angeles May 13th 6 p.m.


As soon as the sun went down, Spike and Connor exited the vehicle, moving toward the single house. The vampire could feel himself becoming excited, wondering if he would get a chance for a little rough and tumble. They had watched the house for several hours to see if anyone other than the baby and his mother was living there.

The last time he'd been there, he didn't stay long enough to see how many people actually lived there. He just noticed how the baby's mother did not seem happy to see the baby. He'd left wondering if she felt anything at all for her own flesh and blood.

The look on her face had reminded him of someone, who he’d rather not think about at this moment in time. However, no matter how hard he tried, he could never stop thinking about her at least a million times a day. It just happened that this woman's reaction had brought back the bad memories of his girl coming to terms with her being pulled out of Heaven.

He looked at the young man walking beside him and knew that Angel would be proud of his son right now. It was still hard to believe that something not evil being produced by the Poof and the Master's favorite childe.

"Well, I guess it a done deal then, and the adventure begins. Four demons and a baby on a road trip to somewhere." Connor snorted as Spike rang the doorbell.

"Yeah, no turning back now, I rang the damn bell." Spike said with a smirk before letting his serious, 'I mean business,' look take over when the petite blond woman answered the door.

She looked at the vampire and immediately recognized him. "You're here for him, aren't you?"

Spike was taken back at first with her calling her son 'him,'

"Yeah, I'm here for him."

She looked past him and noticed the younger male. "He's in his room. It's the second door on the left." She said as she opened the door further, allowing them to enter.

Spike and Connor entered quickly before she changed her mind and shut the door in their faces. "Man this is just too easy," Connor thought.

They moved quickly down the hallway and entered the darkened room. Spike vamped out for a second so he could see the light switch, and then resumed his human form just before he turned on the light.

"Don't need to take a chance she might have second thoughts about a vampire taking her kiddie." He mumbled under his breath.

When the light turned on he moved quickly over to the crib, wanting to make sure the baby was okay. He could hear the fast heartbeat and the baby's breathing and knew the infant was indeed alive, he just wanted to make sure the little one had not suffered at his uncaring mother's hands.

Spike looked down at the baby lying, sleeping in the old battered crib. He remembered the first time he met the little tyke the night before. There was a connection between them when their eyes had met, right before he killed the Fell Brethren and liberated the imp from his future killers.

Then he had brought the infant to the woman who had given birth to him, thinking she would want to take care of her son. From what he noticed, the woman had no real interest in being a mother let alone caring about the baby in any way.

"So, you don't mind we want to take your son?" the blonde vampire asked as he looked at Amanda's blank face, as she stood watching them from the doorway.

"No, I can't take care of him and me, too." Amanda looked from the baby to the man who had brought the baby back to her, and now had returned for him.

"You can come with us," Connor offered her, as he looked on in shock at how unfeeling the woman appeared to feel about the life she had carried in her body for all those months.

Connor looked around the room that served as the baby's nursery. The first thing he noticed when they had first entered was the bareness of the room. The only thing that alerted them that the baby was there was the beat up crib sitting alone in the middle of the room.

The room was dark and depressing with a low watt bulb that kept the areas around the crib in shadows. The shades were pulled, and no curtains on the windows that could have added some color to the room. "Looks more like a prison than a room for a baby," Connor thought to himself.

A raggedy looking chest in the corner was the only other piece of furniture present in the room. No toys or baby things were seen lying around, no baby powder or anything that you would need to take care of a baby. He compared it to the rest of the house that had newer furniture, and knick-knacks that made the other rooms appear lived in.

"God this is pathetic." Connor could not help but compare this baby's short life to his. Here stood this woman who was a mother and had a chance to make a life with her son but did not care about him. His mother, who was supposed to be evil, staked herself so he could be born. Connor shook his head to try and clear his thoughts. "They said Darla was an evil soulless demon, hell, what would you call this bitch?"

Amanda turned and walked out the door, knowing the men in the room did not understand that she had distanced herself the day the Fell leader had approached her about how special her son was and that she would need to give him up, so he could live up to his true potential.

Spike looked over at Angel and Darla's spawn and knew from the look on the boy's face he was comparing his mother with this woman who gave human mothers a bad name. "Hell, Junior, I know a lot of evil demons that treat their offspring better than her."

"Don't call me Junior!" Connor glared at this uncle, cousin, or whatever relation he was to him.

Spike chuckled as he looked closely at the boy and noticed the similarities about the boy that reminded him of the two members of his family. "Can't help it, kid, you are your father's son after all." Laughing harder as the youngster's glare turned deadly. "Help the helpless and all that rot."

Connor could not help but smile when he realized the vamp was complimenting him, as well as his dad. He watched as the vampire turned his attention to the small infant and placed his hands in the crib.

"Hello, poppet, Uncle Spike's back to take you away from this paradise," Spike softly spoke as he gathered what little belongings were in the crib and putting them in a small pile. "Kid, go and pack up the bag."

Connor took the duffle bag over to the chest. He went through it drawer by drawer not finding anything other than some diapers, a few changes of clothes, some socks, and a couple of blankets.

"Hell, barely anything here," Connor mumbled, just enough that his companion heard him.

Spike smiled sadly as he wrapped the sleeping infant snuggly into the blankets that were in the crib, gently picking up the bundle of warmth into his arms. He watched as the little one's face scrunched up slightly before relaxing back into a peaceful look and staying asleep. "That's right little one, I gotcha now, nothin's gonna eat you up. Not as long as I walk this earth."

Connor smiled, keeping his back to the walking undead of contradictions. Be that he had a soul or not. It just proved what a softy the blonde vamp really was.

Connor moved over to join Spike by the crib. "I have everything, what little there was that is."

"Well, then, we're off, so far so good. Hey, Kid, don't forget to take the sheet." Spike couldn’t help but smirk as he commented further. "I love it when a plan goes down like clock work. Don't happen much when I'm doing the planning."

The kid smiled as he followed the vamp out of the room. "So, have you decided upon a name yet?" Connor asked as they moved toward the kitchen, so they could leave out the back.

"Aidan Quinn Worthington, after my grandfather on my mum's side." Spike closed his eyes for a brief moment as he thought of his grandfather. The strong, yet gentle man had been his major male figure growing up. He'd taken the place of his father who had died in a duel defending his mistress's honor, disgracing his mother and his family.

They moved quickly toward the kitchen, when they noticed the baby formula and bottles sitting on the table. Connor shrugged his shoulders as he picked up the items and placed them in the bag. "Don't think it will go to waste."

"They’re here, you had better leave quickly and quietly out the back," Amanda whispered from the doorway. "I’ll delay them for as long as I can, tell them that I just put him down for a nap and offer them some tea.."

Spike noticed for the first time a spark of something in the woman's eyes. "You can come with us."

"No, then they’ll take him again and there will be no hope of him living past his thirteenth birthday." She started to cry. "I had given up hope once they took him the first time, of ever seeing him again. I knew I couldn't fight them, even with the law firm's help. I believe you can, and I will give you that chance, now go."

"You should come." Connor felt the need to try and convince the woman to join them.

"I will only hold you back, please go. I will live through him, if he dies then it's all for not," she pleaded as she waved him away.

"I promise to protect him with my life," Spike promised.

"I know." She smiled for the first time. "Now, please just go, run. I love the name you chose for him, it's beautiful." She blew a kiss at the baby before turning and going to the front of the house.

"Connor, we have to go, now," Spike growled, hoping to make the boy move quickly.

Connor glared at the vampire, but moved to follow him out the back door. They ran down the steps, with Spike keeping watch to make sure none of the demons had come around back. He was sure they didn’t suspect that someone was taking their prized sacrifice from under their noses yet again. They ran toward the back gate that led to the alley, where Illyria and Lorne were waiting for them.

As the gate closed they heard a scream, causing Connor to stop and turn as if he was about to return to the house. Spike's words stopped him.

"She made her choice. Don't let her death be in vain," Spike whispered harshly. "Now get your arse in gear and let's go before we’re caught."

Connor hung his head, feeling torn, as the screams grew louder. It was obvious she was being tortured, and her death was going to be painful. He quickly turned and ran, following the vamp, thanking God that the sun was down and the lighting in the alley was just enough he could see so not to trip over something, but enough they could move quickly in the shadows.

Spike heard the baby start to whimper. "Shush, little one. Now is not the time to let people know you're alive and well in this world." He started to purr as they continued to run toward the recreational vehicle that was just a few feet away at the far end of the alley.

*******

Lorne had noticed about four Fell Brethrens pull up to the house that Blondie and the kid had entered earlier. He quickly returned to the RV he and Spike had purchased earlier. He just hoped all that came running down the alley was two demons and a baby.

He opened the driver's door and climbed in, turning the key that he had left in the ignition. "A few uninvited guests decided to crash the baby napping party."

"The Fell has arrived?" The blue-haired demon asked as her hand reached for the door handle.

"Yep, but stop right there Miss Blue stuff. Spike's a smart vamp, so we just need to wait, he will be here." Lorne winked as he looked back using first the passenger's side view mirror and then the driver's side. "He doesn't need to add us to his list of worries, except that we’re here and ready to go when he gets here."

"Yes, but what about the boy?" Illyria asked, still not sure if the boy would be up to protecting the vampire.

"He can hold his own, believe you me. The boy has moves that have moves," Lorne stated, offering the woman reassurance.

He was surprised at how protective the demon had become of the blonde boy wonder. The green demon just prayed to any God that would listen that he was right, and soon their two companions would join them.

Both demons watched closely, ready to help if any of the uninvited guests followed and would need to be dealt with.

"They’re here, coming up behind us and so far alone, but in a hurry," Illyria said. "It appears they have the small one as well."

"Good, then we can hit the road Jack, and never come back," Lorne softly sang.

"Who is Jack?" The blue demon cocked her head to the side trying to remember this Jack ever being mentioned.

"No, de-lovely, it's a figure of speech. Something I will try and explain further at a later date." Lorne sighed, forgetting whom it was really sitting next to him for a moment.

"You have lived with the humans for too long." She shook her head in disgust.

"Well, they are the majority at the moment, and they really are not that bad." Lorne shrugged. "Live and learn is my motto, and so far I have learned that good and bad live in all walks of life, you just have to choose if you want to walk in the dark or the light."

Illyria looked at the demon who continued to surprise her. "You left, why?"

"Because I would've been useless in a fight, and someone would have been hurt or killed because of me." Lorne smiled sadly for a moment. "And who would have driven the get away car if I had perished in battle?"

The warrior Goddess nodded as she looked, again, at the demon she had mistakenly thought was a coward and would be useless to them. "You surprise me, and that is good."

"Thanks, I think?" Lorne looked questionably at the other demon.

"You will be an asset to us. It is a brave man that knows his weakness and does not let his pride cause him to make poor decisions. You are not a coward as I first thought." Illyria sighed.

She looked at him and nodded before she turned her attention back to their companions, making sure they were still not being followed, and did not need her help. The feeling of relief at seeing the vampire safely join them surprised her. Wondering when Spike had become important to her.

Lorne felt a sense of relief course through him when she had said she did not think him a coward. He pulled on the gloves and adjusted his hat, so if someone looked at him driving they might over look his green skin.

*******

Spike allowed Connor to pass him up so the young man could open the door so he and the baby could quickly enter the RV. They had decided the recreational vehicle would be best for their travels. It would help with everyone's special needs, especially keeping a light sensitive vampire from turning to dust, and they would be able to heat up the baby's bottle as they traveled, as well as private facilities for some of the other occupants' body functions.

"Get us out of here quick, but quiet-like," Spike said as he entered the vehicle, his eyes connecting with the green demon's through the rearview mirror. "Better let the kid drive, would look funny if one of them noticed a demon driving if they have any look outs posted."

Connor and Lorne quickly exchanged places as Spike took a seat close to the front, smiling at Illyria as he did so before giving his full attention to the baby in his arms. Connor smiled as he put it in drive and slowly drove out of the alley, looking back to make sure no one was coming up from behind, silently sighing in relief when he didn't notice anyone there.

*******

Meanwhile in the house the four demons looked at the blood soaked walls and cursed the woman for being so strong willed.

"I was so sure she'd tell us who she gave the infant too," the leader growled. "We must find him or we will perish."

"It will be hard, since we have no idea who has taken the baby." The second in command sighed, wondering who would've done this and why.

"Do you think she just gave him up?"

"No, if that was the case, she would have told us where he was once we arrived and asked for him," the leader replied. "No, someone who knows why he is important has him, and she was protecting them."

"But all that was involved is dead, or in support of us," the second in command said as he looked down at the mutilated lifeless body of the woman who served as the vessel to their salvation. "We must find him, for we do not have time to impregnate another so she could give birth in time for our needs."

"We could have a witch perform a locator spell." One of the others suggested.

"Nothing is left here that belonged to the baby. They even took the bed sheet off the bed." The leader snarled. "That makes it impossible for a locator spell to be performed."

"We need to contact the partners and see if they know who had the information about the baby's importance. Maybe they will be able to help us," the second in command suggested, not liking the look in his leader's eyes.

"They have a lot to explain as it is." The leader snorted. "They are the reason the circle was destroyed, and the Black Thorn is no longer in power. We will need to sit back and see who is brought into the fold and who will be brought to power now."

"We can go to him'," the second in command suggested.

"No, he is busy with his own little game right now, and would quickly dismiss us for distracting him from his goal," the leader informed them. "No, we will have to wait and see who comes into power. We have until the boy's thirteenth birthday, so we do have some time before we need to resort to drastic measures."

"You are right, my Lord," the second command agreed, as did the other two as they nodded their heads.

"Now, let us go and see what we can do for ourselves. I think we need to call a meeting so the others will know what is going on and can send out our feelers," the leader said as they stepped over the dead woman and walked out of the house. The sirens in the background telling them they should not linger any longer. The ignorant human law enforcers would be here soon.

*******