Author's Chapter Notes:
Many thanks to Jen, Caitie and Charis for the very thorough beta and your support; and to Niamh, BuffyandSpikeForever, Seraiza, Luxferi and Ukchrisp, for your kind comments. It makes me very happy to know what you think of the story. :D
Chapter 11

Somewhere on the road, mid afternoon…

Spike hummed “My Way” softly as he drove the black DeSoto. He still couldn’t believe that he’d come across a beauty like her, that she’d been in mint condition and that it had been so easy to trade her for the Mustang in one of the towns they’d stopped by to buy provisions. Some people didn’t appreciate good cars anymore; Spike smirked, well, that’d worked out pretty well for him, so maybe it wasn’t that bad that some people preferred flashy cars to beauties like the car he was driving at the moment. Snyder and his goons would have a harder time tracking them down now. He had no doubt that the warden was already looking for them, but he already had a plan B in mind in case that he found them.

Buffy mewled softly in her sleep and that brought his attention back to her, he glanced down to look at the sleeping girl resting on his shoulder, almost choking on the wealth of emotions that she woke up in him. He’d never felt like this for anyone before and he doubted he ever would’ve if he hadn’t met Buffy. She was, simply put, everything he’d ever wanted, and everything he’d ever want.

He still couldn’t believe that she was there with him; that she’d given up so many things for him. That she’d left a … well, what he imagined to be a rather comfortable life for the uncertainty that living with him could bring her. She’d been truly incredible and loving and there were not enough words to describe all that she’d given him ever since they met at the pond. He’d known then that that was a life-altering moment and boy, if it hadn’t been!

She had so much strength, much more than she gave herself credit for; more than him, definitely. He was still as afraid as he’d been when he flew away from the pond that day, but now he wasn’t afraid of what she made him feel, he was afraid that he wouldn’t measure up to what she expected of him; that he didn’t deserve her or the trust that she’d put on him. Hell if he wasn’t going to be the best he could be for her or die trying, though. No way was he going to give this or her up, not now, not ever.

He kissed the top of her head and returned his eyes to the road. He was tired after driving practically all day long, but it shouldn’t be too long until he found the secondary road that would take them to their final destination and he’d be able to rest then.

Numbness began settling in on his right arm and he tried to move it without waking up Buffy. But as soon as he moved, she began stirring.

“Hmmm, morning,” she said sleepily.

“More like afternoon, luv,” he teased. “Sleep well?”

“Better than I’ve ever had,” Buffy stretched her back, before she leaned over to kiss him lightly on the cheek.

He chuckled, “’Ey, do ya know that ya make this cute mewlin’ noises while ya sleep?”

She hit him playfully in his chest, “I do not.”

“Yes, ya do,” he said proceeding to replicate the sounds she’d made.

“Mewl,” she purred and pounced on him, taking Spike by surprise when she kissed him deeply, making the car swerve a little on the road, until Spike hit the brakes and it came to a sudden stop.

“Give a bloke a little warnin’ next time, pet,” Spike said panting a little.

“Why?” she asked coyly.

“So he could do this!” He pounced on her and proceeded to kiss her until they were both breathless.

* ~ * ~ *

A little later…

Spike parked the car underneath a tree, right beside a big bush and after they took out all their provisions, they covered the DeSoto with branches and leaves.

They had made a very good time getting there and they still had a good two hours of light. Spike mentally crossed his fingers hoping that the cabin was still there, too. So far everything had gone exactly the way it should, but he didn’t want to push his luck by being overconfident and risk pissing the Powers That Be with that.

* ~ * ~ *

Back at the Honor Camp

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Xander said as he entered the barracks to find Snyder snooping in his locker. “You have no right to go through my stuff!”

Two guards held him back as Snyder sneered, “No one here has more rights than me, boy, and that definitely includes searching for evidence, very much like this one here,” he said lifting a map that was hidden under some books.

“That’s not evidence,” Xander replied, trying to keep his cool demeanor, but a flicker of fear flashed in his dark eyes, which didn’t went unnoticed by Snyder. “That’s just a copy of one of the maps I’ve done for the Council, you should know by now that’s what I do.”

“Regardless if this is evidence or not, I think I might take it with me, boy,” Snyder responded with an evil gleam in his eyes. “Let’s go, guys. I think this map might bring us something to treasure after all, even if it’s only the demise of your old pal Spike.”

“Wood, you’re in charge until I come back,” the warden said off-handedly to the officer as he left the building followed by his guards.

As soon as he was sure Snyder had left, Officer Wood took a cell phone out of his shirt’s pocket and marked a number, as Xander looked at him, curiosity etched on his features. The older man just put a finger to his mouth to stop him from asking anything yet as he began talking on the phone.

“Ms. Spencer? Yes, Officer Wood here. Mr. Snyder just left the camp, seems he has a lead as to where he can find the Taylor boy.” Xander gaped at him when he heard that, getting more curious by the minute as he listened to the conversation. “Well, I’m not sure, but I think there’s someone here that can help us find them… No, I think he’ll be more than happy to do it… No problem, we can be ready in… say, fifteen minutes?” Wood added after checking his watch. “Yes, Officer Watley can hold the fort meanwhile… Okay, I’ll see you then.”

He closed the phone and turned to Xander, “I hope you have another copy of that map, Harris. Or at least, that you have an inkling to where we’re going.”

“Why?” Xander asked, still unsure of what was happening.

“I’m not in liberty of telling you exactly what’s happening, you just need to know that I’m on Spike’s side and that Mr. Snyder is going down. So, are you going to help us or not?”

“Hell, yeah! Count me in,” Xander replied, taking a map out of the back pocket of his jeans. “And I know a shortcut that would help us get there before Snyder.”

* ~ * ~ *

“Mr. Snyder, sir,” one of the guards called, running to where Snyder stood. “They’ve located the Mustang in a town about two hours away from here.”

An evil smile drew on Snyder’s face, as he said, “Seems we’re on the right track then. I don’t think it would do us any good to continue tonight, though. We’re staying in this town tonight, boys, make sure you get a good rest, we’ll have a very early start tomorrow.”

tbc

I will be out of town and internet-less until Monday, so I promise I'll try to update then.

Hope you all have a safe and wonderfully Happy Holidays!

Hugs,

Mari