Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you Luxferi, Niamh, Seraiza, BuffyandSpikeForever and Amelia-Jane for your reviews.
Note: If you don't like cliffhangers, please refrain from reading this chapter. Hopefully I'll post the next chapter on the next two days.

Chapter 14

Spike placed the last of the lost arrows on the bottom of the cliff, hooking one end of the yellow rope to it and the other end to the waterproof duffel; he pulled it with all his strength until he was sure that the arrow would stay in place, before throwing the bag into the water and watching as the strong current dragged it towards the cave a few meters ahead.

Once it disappeared, Spike entered the river cautiously, hanging on tightly to the rope as he did, following the path the bag had been dragged on.

* ~ * ~ *

Buffy woke up slowly, opening her eyes and stretching lazily over the sleeping bag while smiling softly as she remembered all that had happened the day before. She still couldn’t believe that they had managed to escape from the Honor Camp and her school and that now they were living in a cabin somewhere on the mountains. She extended her hand to touch Spike, trying to reassure herself that the last day and especially the last night hadn’t been a dream—although the slight soreness she felt in certain places of her anatomy and the sated feeling coursing through her body, told her it definitely hadn’t been—but she only found a folded paper in his place.

Frowning slightly, she sat on the makeshift bed and then unfolded the note. Trepidation filled her while she skimmed through it, only to evaporate into thin air as soon as she finished it.

‘Buffy,

I can not begin to tell you how wonderful it was to wake up with you in my arms. It felt like I was touching a bit of Heaven. I stayed up for a while just watching you sleep, breathe, mewl (you make the most adorable noises while you sleep, but we’ve covered that already, didn’t we?).

I have to go out for a bit, I’ll try to be back as soon as I can so we can have breakfast together and I’ll explain everything then.

Yours,

Spike’


Smiling dreamily, she decided to get up, take a much needed shower and get ready for when Spike came back; she wanted to go exploring a bit once he came back, the little she’d seen of the area was breathtaking and she was eager to see more of it.

A little while after, thanking God that the cabin had a working bathroom inside even if the water was freezing, Buffy got out of the shower and as she went to take out some clean clothes from her bag, she found inside only one pair of jeans, underwear, a top and a sweater. Curious as to where Spike could have left her other clothes, she got dressed and thought for a second on looking for them around the cabin, but decided against it when she remembered that he’d been acting mysteriously the day before with some of the things he’d bought and this was the perfect occasion to ask him about it and the disappearance of her clothes.

While she waited for Spike’s return, she tidied up the cabin a bit trying to give it a homier look with the few things she had at her disposal; for the last touch, she put a copy of the picture of her as Ophelia on the fireplace’s mantel.

After that, noticing that Spike had put some logs into the stove and seeing that it was almost ten and he surely would come back very soon, she decided to surprise him by making breakfast and having it ready and served for when he came back. She found a carton of eggs in one of the grocery bags—which looked suspiciously empty, too—and also some bacon in the small cooler thingy that Spike had insisted on buying the day before. She found some pans in one of the kitchen shelves and put them over the stove, while she tried to imagine Spike’s surprised expression when he saw that she’d cooked for him. It didn’t even occur to her that maybe the final result wouldn’t be the one she wanted, especially considering this was the first time she would ever cook; after all, how hard could it be to make eggs and bacon?

* ~ * ~ *

Spike emerged from the river with some difficulty, thinking it definitely wasn’t easy to swim against the current of this mighty river, and after drying himself a bit, he got dressed again; the water was very cold and refreshing and he was quite pleased with himself for all that he’d managed to do in so little time. Taking the rifle he’d found on the cabin from the ground, he watched his clock and realized that he should be heading back or Buffy would get worried.

* ~ * ~ *

‘Famous last words,’ Buffy thought giggling while she pulled out the egg shell that had fallen into the pan along with half the egg she had tried to put inside. “Oh, well, at least the bacon seems to be cooking as it should,” she told to herself, still giggling, as she moved the eggs with a wooden spatula she had found on one of the shelves.

She heard a foreign sound, almost like a helicopter flying and moved closer to peek through the window but couldn’t see anything. She shook it off as she noticed that the eggs and bacon were almost done and decided to leave them on the stove so they would be warm when Spike got back from wherever he was, Buffy went outside of the cabin and yelled, “Hey, Spike?”

She received no answer and the sound she’d heard before seemed to have disappeared, so she called out again, “Spikey, time for breakfast!”

She walked over to the edge of the cliff Spike’d mentioned the day before thinking she’d call him for again when she got there; surely he’d hear her then? Just as she stepped on the edge of the cliff, a blue and white helicopter with the words ‘Sheriff’ painted on the side and an armed police officer perched on the opened back door, flew up from the ridge.

* ~ * ~ *

Spike heard Buffy yelling for him and it was then that he saw the helicopter; he hurried up the mountain, trying to get to the cabin as fast as he could. His lungs felt like they were about to explode and his legs felt like rubber, but he didn’t stop, he couldn’t, he had to get to her before they would.

* ~ * ~ *

Buffy ran towards the cabin, while the helicopter followed her from the air. She entered the cabin, locking the door behind her and moving to the window located close to the stove to keep an eye on the helicopter, when suddenly flames began emerging from one of the pans over the stove and begin to spread to the kitchen shelves. Scared by the fire but not wanting to go outside, she curled up on the corner of the cabin that was further away from the stove and prayed that Spike would show up soon and make things better while tears streamed down her face.

* ~ * ~ *

“We found the vehicle and Snyder is on his way up there and he’s armed,” Officer Wood said on the radio. “No, we don’t have time for that. We have to act now,” he practically barked to the person he was talking to, before cutting the communication.

“Let’s move, men, hurry up!” he shouted, before lowering his voice and adding to himself, “Before something we will all regret happens.”

* ~ * ~ *

Spike tried to run as he tried to evade being seen by the helicopter, but as soon as he saw the smoke coming out of the cabin, he stopped trying to hide.

“William Taylor, we’re police officers; you’re under arrest, do not resist, do not run,” was heard through the helicopter’s loudspeaker.

Spike ran faster at that, he just hoped that she wasn’t inside the cabin, that she was alright. He found the door locked and kicked it open while calling her name, coughing as the smoke filled his lungs.

He didn’t see her at first and began to get desperate, until he heard a hoarse cry and noticed she that was curled up in one of the corners of the cabin. With a shaky breath of relief when he saw she was unharmed, he rushed to her side and helped her get out of the cabin.

“C’mon, luv, we gotta get out of ‘ere now.”

As they came out of the cabin, she fell to the porch’s floor coughing and trying to breathe fresh air. Spike moved out of the relative security the porch with his rifle aiming towards the helicopter that was circling the area again.

“Drop your weapon,” the voice in the loudspeaker said.

“Leave us alone!” Spike shouted while thinking if he should fire the rifle at them.

The helicopter flew up and away at that. Spike was about to exhale a relieved sigh when a shot passed by his head.

“Buffy, get down!” he yelled as he threw himself to the porch behind one of the thick logs that served as columns.

Buffy fell to her knees screaming in absolute fear after she heard him, lowering her head and covering it with her hands just as another shot embedded on the wall just a little over her.

When yet another shot passed over her head, Spike moved closer to her and still screaming she leaned her head over his leg.

“Buffy run!”

“Noooo!”

“Nobody’s gonna save you now, Taylor!” Snyder yelled, aiming his shotgun at them once more.

“Buffy, ya’ve got to run, luv!” he pleaded.

“NO! I’m not going anywhere without you,” she said decisively, only to cry once more in fear a second later when another shot went over her head.

“Listen to me,” he said, waiting until she looked at him. “Listen to me, luv. Ya ‘ave to go now to the cliff I told ya about; I’ll follow ya, okay? Go!”

With one last longing look she obeyed, running as fast as she could towards the cliff.

After a minute Spike followed her; clutching the rifle tightly in his hand while he ran as fast as he could.

“Hey, hey! Where do you think you’re going, you little weasel!” Snyder said, running after Spike. There was no way he’d let the boy win.

* ~ * ~ *

Buffy stopped awkwardly once she reached the edge of the cliff, almost losing her footing at the sudden stop. “Oh, God, oh God,” she repeated over and over, trying to see between the trees if Spike had followed her as he’d promised. And, sure enough, a few minutes after Spike appeared by her side. She hugged him from the back as he aimed the rifle at the horrible man that had caught them on the crypt.

“You are gonna shoot me, boy?” Snyder asked, without lowering his own weapon.

“C’mon, Spike, he’s gonna shoot us both?” Buffy pleaded.

Spike was torn, he truly wanted to kill the warden but he knew that if he did this would never be over. He’d be separated from Buffy, maybe for the rest of their lives and he simply couldn’t bear that.

“Put the rifle down,” Snyder said, noticing the play of emotions flickering on Spike’s face.

After less than a minute, Spike lowered his gun to the ground.

Snyder sneered evilly at them, lowering his shotgun a bit, while he said, “I told you not to make me look bad, boy.”

Spike turned to face Buffy at that moment, asking, “Do you trust me, luv?”

“You know I do.” Buffy nodded while gazing adoringly into his eyes as she intertwined her hand with his, blocking everything that wasn’t Spike out of her mind.

As one, they turned their backs to Snyder and moved closer to the edge of the cliff, sharing one last longing look before they took a step forward and jumped into the chasm under the incredulous stare of the warden.

tbc

Please don’t hate me too much? Next chapter is done and I promise to post it as soon as I get it back from my second beta.