Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you, thank you, thank you to TammyAsh666, SarahandJamesFanatic, Luxferi, Amelia-Jane, Seraiza and Lu82. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the action on the last chapter. And a huge thank you to Brat42 for betaing this chapter. *hugs*
Chapter 15

As one, they turned their backs to Snyder and moved closer to the edge of the cliff, sharing one last longing look before they took a step forward and jumped into the chasm under the incredulous stare of the warden.

Snyder was trying to recover from the impression of watching Spike and Buffy jump. His eyes were locked in the place where they had been pulled down under the strong current of the river; it had been a pretty big fall and even if they’d survived it, he was pretty sure that without help they wouldn’t be able to survive the river.

He was shook off of his stupor when he noticed the helicopter trying to find them on the banks of the river, shouting, “You ain’t gonna find nothing down there! They’re gone!”

Robin Wood reached the warden’s side just as he heard those words. “You better start praying that isn’t true,” he said, motioning to the helicopter to continue the search. “Or instead of being arrested for abuse of authority, you’ll be arrested for murder.”

Startled, Snyder turned to find the deputy by his side. “Murder? I didn’t make the boy and his honey jump; they did that all in their own. And I’ve never abused my authority, I was just following orders from the head of the Honor Council, who I’m sure will back me up a hundred percent,” he said cockily and when he noticed the police officers and the two women that had just joined them, he added, “And anyway, how did you get here? Weren’t you supposed to be in charge at the Camp? And who the hell are these people?”

“Well, I got here the same way you did, I imagine. And yes, I was supposed to be in charge, but Officer Watley is in charge while I’m here and these people are Honor Council officers.”

“I knew Mr. Travers wouldn’t let me alone in this.” Snyder sneered.

“Oh, believe me, Mr. Travers definitely won’t leave you alone. If we get things to go our way, you two will be together for a very long time… in jail,” Rachel Goodday answered.

“And if you’re a good boy and cooperate, we might even pull some strings so you can be at the same cell,” Danica added, smiling evilly.

“Charles Snyder, you’re under arrest,” a police officer said, before pulling the shocked warden’s arms to his back and putting the handcuffs on while reciting him his rights.

“NO! What do you think you’re doing?! I was just doing my job, boys get out of line and I have to pull them in any way I can—!”

“If I were you, I’d just shut up, man. Remember anything you say might be used against you…” Woods said.

* ~ * ~ *

Robin Wood, Danica and Rachel stood grimly at the top of the mountain; the exhilaration over arresting Snyder was short lived once they realized that the search party that had been sent to find Spike and Buffy had returned with almost empty hands. The only thing they’d found was a small piece of rope that had been hanging from a lost arrow pin and aside from the rope being fairly new there was no way they could be sure if it had been left by a mountaineer or by Spike and Buffy. They were at a loss over to what to do next, neither of them wanting to be the one having to face the more than likely anxious parents and friend that were waiting for news at a nearby hotel and give them the uncertain news.

* ~ * ~ *

At the hotel

“So, what you’re trying to tell us is that our kids are missing, that they jumped from a cliff and that for all you know, they could be dead?” Hank Summers asked gloomily.

“Yes, but there’s no way to know for sure…” Danica began saying before being interrupted by Spike’s dad.

“Ya said that ya found some rope at the banks of the river?” He waited for Danica and Rachel’s nod before continuing, “Can I see it?”

“Sure, but I don’t know how it’ll be of any help in this case, we’re not even sure if it could be theirs.” Rachel handed him the bag that held the rope and the long arrows they’d collected.

“But that’s where ya’re wrong, Ms. Spencer. My son ‘n I used to camp in this area a few years ago when we just came to the States ‘n although ‘e might not be an expert, ‘e learned quite a few tricks that can save their lives against that river. ‘N these,” he said holding the items he’d retrieved from the bag. “These are precisely the kind of things ‘e’d buy for sure.”

“Erm, I’d have to agree with you, Mr. Taylor,” Xander said, he’d stayed quiet for most of the time they’d been together, but he couldn’t bear to watch the worry etched on Spike and Buffy’s parents.

“Yeah? Why is that, Xander? Do you know something that could help us find them?” Officer Wood asked.

“Well, yeah, see this map?” He unfolded the map and put it over the table. They all gathered around to take a closer look. “Spike and I studied it for a while, back when we began making plans to escape from the Honor Camp,” he said, directing a shy gaze to Josh. “We had decided on this place because you two used to camp here, so it would be easier for us to find a hiding spot. Anyway, I told him about the river, that a long time ago a lumbering company used it to send lumber to their sawmill and that the river was really weird, that it went over ground, underground, waterfalls,” he said enthusiastically, showing everything in the map as she spoke to his captive audience. “So, Spike thought that aside from the hiding spots, we should have a plan B. You know, just in case Snyder found us.” After that, he told them what the plan had entailed, which with the items they’d found, gave them a much better reason to believe that the kids were alive than anything anyone had said before.

“So, if that’s true, what should we do now?” Joyce asked.

“Well, since Ms. Spencer ‘n Ms. Goodday assured us that no one will be tryin’ to capture the kids now,” he said, giving a cautious look to the women, who just nodded back at him. “’N your daughter’s friend said she gave them my address, I’d be willin’ to bet that they’ll be headin’ there next. So, what do ya say we wait for them there?”

They all agreed and after thanking Xander for all his help and making sure that the Council would contact them if they found out anything about Spike and Buffy, they all headed back to the Taylor’s home to begin the wait.

* ~ * ~ *

A little while before

Two figures emerge from the water trying to regain their breaths, while holding tightly to each other.

tbc

Next chapter will be the last of the story. I might add an epilogue later, but this story is nearly done. I'm not sure when I'll be able to update because my girls just began school and it's been hectic around here. Hopefully it won't take us too long to get back in track.