Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you Luxferi, Seraiza, Chris, Amelia-Jane and Lu82 for your kind comments and a special thank you to TammyAsh666 for pointing out that Wood was Robin’s correct last name, I already made the change in all of the chapters. I also want to thank Jen for her enormous help in this chapter; your suggestions and help were invaluable for me, honey, gracias. :).
Okay, so this is the first part of the last chapter. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 16 (Part 1)

Two figures emerge from the water trying to regain their breaths, while holding tightly to each other.

Still hanging on to Spike’s shoulders and panting harshly as she tried to get some oxygen into her lungs, Buffy slowly opened her eyes only to find Spike looking at her. She did a quick take of their surroundings, noticing for the first time that they seemed to be inside a cavern before she let out a big squeal and hugged Spike, relieved that they had survived the fall and the river.

“H-how? When? How?” she asked, even more surprised when she noticed the waterproof duffel bag to which Spike was hanging.

Spike chuckled as he hauled them and the bag to the shore, when they were out of the river; he took some dry clothes out of the bag and began explaining. “How? Well, I bought a few things at the little town where we stopped to buy provisions. And when? This mornin’, luv. This was what I told ya I was gonna explain when I came back to the cabin... just that I didn’t get the chance to do it, did I?” he said sheepishly. “I ‘ave to tell ya, I was surprised when ya followed my lead ‘n jumped, without asking me why then.”

“I love you and there’s no one I trust more than you, that’s why I followed you. As if I was going to let you leave me behind, even if we could have jumped to our death, even if I would have had to follow you to heaven or hell, I would have found the way; you’re stuck with me until the end of time, buster,” she said with a teasing light shining in her eyes.

He had felt a knot on his throat as she’d started talking, and he was sure he probably would’ve disgraced himself in front of her if she hadn’t added that little bit at the end. He should’ve known that his girl would lighten up what could’ve been turned up into quite the uncomfortable moment for him. “Fair ‘nough ‘n I ‘ope ya know, that ya’re stuck with me, too, luv. What do ya say if we put some dry clothes ‘n get out of ‘ere? I found a way out from the cave that doesn’t involve gettin’ back into the river while I was ‘ere earlier ‘n then we can head over to my dad’s place. According to the address Red got us, it isn’t that far away from ‘ere ‘n seein’ that ya’re an expert mountaineer, I’m pretty sure we can get there before the day ends.”

“Well, yeah, I could get there before the day ends, after all I’m an expert mountaineer and all, but are you sure you can keep up with me?” she said, with a playful lilt to her voice.

“’Ell yeah, of course I can!” he said decisively, hoping that he wouldn’t have to eat his words by the end of the day.

* ~ * ~ *

Buffy couldn’t believe their good luck. Almost as soon as they’d gotten out of the cave, they saw a rest stop in the distance and judging by the cars parked in front, it was a working one.

Hurrying toward the entrance, Spike opened the door for her while she smiled at him, extending her hand to caress his jaw in silent thanks. They exhaled a relieved sigh when they felt the locale’s air conditioning working at full blast. After their two hour hike, it felt like heaven.

While Buffy went to the Ladies’ Bathroom to freshen up, Spike found an empty table so they could eat and rest for a while before deciding how they were going to get to Sunnydale. Just because he didn’t want to admit he’d been wrong, he’d managed to keep up with her pace until they’d reached the rest stop, but there was no way he’d be walking any more if he could avoid it.

Strumming his fingers over the table, he took a look around and noticed that the place was practically empty, with the exception of a man sitting in a nearby table and a busboy that was cleaning one of the tables. Deciding to ask the busboy if he knew how far away Sunnydale was and if there were any buses that could take them there, he walked over to him.

“Excuse me,” he cleared his throat as he reached the boy. “Hi, I was wonderin’ if by any chance ya knew ‘ow far away from Sunnydale are we?”

“Hmm, I’m not sure, but… wait a minute, Mr. Giles?” he said turning towards the man Spike had seen before. “Didn’t you say you were going to Sunnydale today?”

“Yes, I certainly did,” the man answered, leaving the newspaper he was reading over the table. “Why?”

“Well, Mr. Giles, is it?” When Giles nodded, he extended his right hand to the older man. “My name is Spike Taylor. My girlfriend ‘n I are goin’ there to visit my dad ‘n we were wonderin’ ‘ow far away we are from there?”

“Hmm, it’s a six hour drive approximately.”

Mr. Giles watched Spike intently for a minute, considering an idea that had begun forming in his mind. Despite his appearance, he seemed like a nice boy and judging by his accent, he was a fellow Englishman, but one never could be too cautious. Just at that moment a pretty girl appeared by his side.

“Hi,” she beamed at the man and the busboy that were talking with Spike, before turning toward Spike. “Were you asking them how far Sunnydale is from here?”

“Yes, he was,” Rupert Giles interjected, eyeing the couple with interest; they seemed to be awfully young to be traveling alone. “And I was about to tell him that I’m heading to Sunnydale, so I wouldn’t mind giving you two a ride.”

“Oh, no, thank you, we wouldn’t dare to impose on you,” Buffy said, shaking her head. “We just need to be pointed on the right direction and then we’ll be on our way.”

“You’re not imposing, I’m offering. And really, you’d be doing me a favor. I hate driving in the States, all the people driving on the wrong side of the road make me nervous. So, if you have a driver’s license,” he said, throwing a hopeful look at Spike, who nodded eagerly. He was willing to drive all the way if that meant he didn’t have to walk anymore. “We could take turns driving up to Sunnydale.”

Relieved by Mr. Giles suggestion, Spike turned towards Buffy and she almost laughed at his pleading expression, but she didn’t want to hurt his feelings so she stifled her giggles and nodded. “Okay, if you’re sure we won’t be imposing, we’d be happy to be your traveling companions.”

After deciding that they would leave after lunch, they sat with Giles and while they ate, Spike and Buffy got to know a little more about their benefactor. He’d seemed a little stuffy at first, but as they began discovering how many things they had in common, like their love for London, Photography, nature and books, he turned out to be quite an entertaining person.

* ~ * ~ *

At the Taylor’s house, late afternoon that same day

Joyce and Anne were making dinner at the Taylor’s kitchen, sharing stories about their kids, while Josh and Hank distracted themselves talking about their respective businesses. There were all trying to keep their minds off of the lack of news on Spike and Buffy, while being thankful that that could also mean that they hadn’t been found, and clinging to the hope that maybe they hadn’t been hurt, or worse, died due to the fall from the cliff.

Then came the knock on the front door.

tbc

Next part will be up on Friday and then I hope to post the Epilogue next week.