Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again to Jenny, DaniD, BuffyandSpikeForever, jt and spikestheman for reviewing. I love to read that you're enjoying this story. :D
Chapter 3

Immaculate Heart School, Monday morning

Buffy and Willow shared amused glances as they talked to yet another group of their classmates. It was kind of funny how quickly all the girls had agreed to help them once they’d heard the particulars of their plan. All the girls except Amy Collins, that is. It had been no surprise that she had refused to even listen to Buffy and Willow when they had approached her. The girl had a competitive streak a mile long when it came to anything school related ― especially if Buffy had shown prior interest on it. So Buffy really wouldn’t be surprised if Amy pulled out the heavy artillery with her charity project in order to beat her. Not that she would win, at least not with all their other classmates supporting Buffy; she was sure that would make all the difference.

Buffy let her thoughts drift while Willow gave the girls all the details of the plan. She still couldn’t believe how easily it all seemed to be falling into place. Even with Willow’s help and constant reassurance that the plan would indeed work; she couldn’t shake the dreadful feeling that something was going to go wrong and her dreams would be shattered once again.

Her eyes wandered around the patio until they fixed on Sister Victoria, the school’s headmistress, who was waving at her to get her attention. Excusing herself from the group, Buffy walked over to where the nun stood.

‘Why does she need to talk to me? Maybe she learned of the plan somehow and wants to keep me from doing it?’ Buffy thought gloomily. ‘Don’t even start with that, Buffy. There’s no way she could know. Just act calmly. There are tons of reasons why Sister Victoria could be calling you and not all of them are bad.’

“Good morning, Sister Victoria,” Buffy asked demurely.

“Good morning, Elizabeth,” Sister Victoria responded. “I wanted to inform you that your father called me today.”

“He did?” Buffy’s smile widened. “What did he say? Where are they?”

Sister Victoria grinned at Buffy’s enthusiastic questions and said, “Yes, he did. They are in Geneva.”

“Geneva? I thought they’d be home by now,” Buffy replied, her enthusiasm decreasing as apprehension began taking its place.

“It seems that your father’s business is doing great in Europe, so your parents will be spending most of their time there in the next few years,” the headmistress continued. “Since you’re about to graduate from high school, your parents considered it would be convenient to transfer you to a boarding school in Geneva to continue your studies. Let me assure you, the Sacred Heart School is one of the best schools in Europe and it also functions as a college. So you’ll be able to study there until you graduate from college.”

Buffy tried as hard as she could to hide how hurt she felt by the news, but she realized she had failed miserably when Sister Victoria kept talking in a kinder tone, “Is there a problem, Elizabeth? You look… disappointed. This is an excellent opportunity for you; you do understand that, don’t you?”

‘Disappointed? Try crushed, that might be a better description for what I’m feeling right now,’ Buffy thought, but she couldn’t tell the headmistress that, so instead she replied, “I know, Sister Victoria. It’s just that I’d hoped that after graduation my parents would let me to go back home with them for a while.”

“I’m sure you’ll be seeing more of them in Geneva than at home,” Sister Victoria continued.

“Yes, maybe,” Buffy replied distractedly.

“Well, Elizabeth,” she added, glancing at her watch. “I have to return to my office and the bell will be ringing any minute now. Your father said that he would call you next week to give you all the details for your trip.” And without waiting for a reply Sister Victoria began walking away.

Buffy blinked trying to keep her tears at bay. She couldn’t understand why her parents were doing this to her. Was she so insignificant to them that they simply didn’t care whether or not she was happy? She would’ve resigned herself to never seeing her handsome stranger again if she at least had been allowed to go home. It would’ve been very hard for her to give up that particular dream, but she also knew that she would’ve managed if she’d had her parents with her. But her parents didn’t want her to go back home with them, and to add insult to injury, they were sending her to another boarding school, one so far away that there was no possible way she would ever meet or even see her boy again.

Was the possibility of meeting him face to face worth the pain that she might have to endure when she had to leave and all her illusions were inevitably crushed once again? ‘Hell, yeah!’ Buffy decided. All her life she’d been scared of letting her defenses down. The fear of allowing anyone to come close enough to hurt her had made her seek refuge within herself. She couldn’t or rather she wouldn’t, deny herself the chance of experiencing what happiness could be like just because she was afraid.

With just one look from him the wall that had surrounded her fragile heart for what seemed like forever had crumbled into a million pieces. The numbness had been replaced by hope. She’d left her heart and her dreams unguarded and even if it brought her pain, it was well worth it. And if her plan worked and she could be close to him ― even if it was for such a short time ― she would at least have those memories to help her go through this nightmare.

The bell rang and Willow suddenly materialized by her side, smiling sweetly, she took Buffy’s hand in hers and pulled her towards the classroom saying, “Hurry up, honey. This is not the right time for crying. We have a plan to execute, remember?”

Buffy sent a teary smile towards her friend as she wiped a few rebel tears with the back of her hand. Willow was right she didn’t have time to cry now. She had to make this plan work. Now more than ever she needed to meet him.

-------------------

In the meantime, at the Honor Camp…

Xander and Spike took a break from their assigned labors as they walked to one of the tables located inside the carpentry room. Xander had told Spike he had to show him something and since he was being secretive and all, they figured this was the best place to do it.

“So what do ya want to show me, mate?” Spike questioned.

Xander checked once more that they were alone before he took out a folded map from his jeans back pocket.

“What’s this?”

This is the map to our freedom, bleach boy,” Xander replied.

“Our freedom?”

“Yep. It’s an escape route, man. I’ve been planning this for the last two years, but to be honest, I’ve never had the guts to follow it through until now,” he said. “And I wanted to know if you wanted in when the time’s right.”

“To leave this ‘ellmouth once ‘n for all ‘n to not see Snyder’s dogface or smell Angel’s blood breath ever again?” Spike asked with a sneer as Xander nodded anxiously. “’Ell, yeah, count me in.”

---------------

Sister Jen’s classroom, later that same morning

“Okay, girls. It’s that time of the year again where the senior girls, that’s you by the way,” Sister Jenny smiled sweetly. “Have to choose a charity project in order to learn about the importance of giving. So, do you have any suggestions?”

A girl seated in the front row raised her hand.

“Yes, Amy?”

“I think we should send food and medicine to the little town in Africa that last year’s senior’s class chose. They were deeply grateful and they really need all the help they can get,” Amy Collins said.

“That sounds lovely, Amy. Thank you,” the teacher turned towards the blackboard and wrote down ‘Amy – Send food to Africa’. Then she turned once more to face her students. “Does anyone else have another suggestion?”

Amy smiled smugly thinking that there was no way Buffy’s project would be better than hers.

Buffy raised her hand and Sister Jen, who always had had a soft spot for Buffy, beamed at her, “Elizabeth, do you have a suggestion?”

“Yes, Sister Jen. Giving food and medicines to a poor town is a great project, but it’s so… impersonal. We’d never have the chance to experience how our help benefits them,” Buffy exposed. “So, I thought it’s time that we did something for the people that live in our own town, by maybe organizing a dance and inviting the boys from the Honor Camp.”

“Hmm,” the older woman pondered. “I’m not sure if Sister Victoria or the School Board would give their permission for a dance. There would be too many things to take into consideration. Definitely not an easily executable plan.”

“Sister Jen, I know this plan won’t be easy to execute, but surely our Lord doesn’t expect us to take the easy way out, does he?” Buffy replied, smiling as she noticed that Sister Jen, seemingly very impressed by her speech, nodded.

“Certainly. Are there any more suggestions?” the teacher asked as she scribbled ‘Elizabeth – Dance’ on the board, right under Amy’s name. The rest of the class shook their heads and a few no’s were heard, so she continued, “Time to vote then. Those in favor of Amy’s suggestion please raise your hands.”

Amy turned with her raised hand and glared at her classmates after she realized no one would back her up.

“Those in favor of Elizabeth’s suggestion raise your hands,” Sister Jen smiled wryly when she noticed that all the girls – except Amy, of course – had lifted their hands as they unsuccessfully tried to cover their excited giggles. “I guess we have a winner then.”

Buffy was elated; it had been almost too easy to convince the nun. Hopefully, convincing Sister Victoria and the School Board would be just as easy.

-------------

Immaculate Heart School, Wednesday morning

“It has come to my attention that the senior class has decided to organize a dance and invite the boys from the reformatory to it as their charity project,” Sister Victoria said after the daily mass ended. “I discussed this with the School Board and we decided to authorize the activity as long as certain rules are followed, before, during, and after the event.”

Buffy couldn’t contain the satisfied smile that blossomed on her lips. She half-listened to the rest of Sister Victoria’s speech as she daydreamed about how her encounter with her mystery guy would turn out.

------------------

Oak Ridge Honor Camp, Wednesday afternoon

“Damned ignorant fools!” Snyder exclaimed as he slammed the phone in its cradle.

“What happened, boss?” Robin Wood asked.

“The boys have been invited to a dance at the prissy school for girls on the other side of the forest and the goddamned Council and the Youth Prisons’ Board gave their authorization!” Snyder barked.

“I can’t believe they gave their authorization for this,” Robin Wood said, trying to calm the warden.

“Yeah, me neither. And believe me, if it were up to me there’s no fucking way they’d be going. But I’d be getting in a lot of trouble with those idiots if I refuse,” Snyder replied.

“So, when are you gonna tell them?” the deputy asked.

“I’m not gonna tell them. I refuse to give them the chance to gloat about this in my face. You’ll be telling them and while you’re at it, read them this,” Snyder handed a fax sheet to Wood. “Those are the rules the boys would have to follow at the dance. It might be a good idea if you refreshed their memories on what happens to people that makes me look bad. Ah! And before I forget, tell them that they’ll be doing hard labor under my supervision at the Saint Francis Cemetery tomorrow, Friday and all next week. I’ll make sure they’re too tired by Friday to enjoy the blasted dance.”

Wood refrained from trying to dissuade the warden about that last part. He knew that if he advocated for the boys it would only cause them more problems and he’d risk losing a job he really needed. He didn’t agree with Snyder’s methods, but he was his boss, so he had to do what he was asked to.

“Okay. I’ll gather the boys on the main patio then.”

---------------

“I have to make some announcements,” Robin Wood told to the boys assembled. “The Honor Camp’s Council and the Youth Prisons’ Board gave their authorization for all of you to attend a dance at the Immaculate Heart School on Friday.”

The boys cheered at the news, until Wood continued, “That’s not all, so please try to curb your enthusiasm until I’m finished.”

The boys became silent, but the smiles on their faces at the opportunity that they’d been given couldn’t be wiped away just as easily.

Spike couldn’t believe his good luck, if his girl went to that school as he and Xander suspected, he might be able to be close to her, talk to her.

“You’ll have to follow some rules at the dance. First, the boys should dress formally for the occasion,” Wood read and then smiled amicably at the groans that resounded all over the camp. “I know, I know, just try to wear the best you’ve got, okay?”

The boys nodded and he continued reading, “Second, the boys should keep at least a half arm’s length distance between them and the girls at all times while they’re dancing…”

More groans could be heard and the officer shrugged, “You know what? These rules are all pretty much the same. The one thing you have to know is that you’ll have to behave or the dance would be over and remember that if you make Mr. Snyder look bad you should be prepared to deal with the consequences.”

The boys looked appalled by the threat and Wood was sure their prior enthusiasm might disappear completely after he told them what the warden had in store for them, but it couldn’t be put off anymore.

“And the last announcement is that you’ll be doing hard labor under Mr. Snyder’s supervision at Saint Francis Cemetery for a week, starting tomorrow. You can go back to your labors now,” the officer dismissed the crestfallen boys with a wave.

Xander began walking towards the car repair shop when he noticed that Spike wasn’t by his side. He turned around and saw that his friend hadn’t even moved from where they’d stood during Wood's little talk, so he walked over to him. He regarded the idiotic smile gracing his friend’s face and smiled himself when he remembered that the girl his friend was infatuated with might study at the Immaculate Heart School. So, it really was no wonder he looked like this, probably hadn’t even heard the rest of the announcements or he wouldn’t be smiling. He patted Spike’s back and chuckled when the blond seemed to wake up from his daze. Realizing he’d been caught daydreaming, he blushed and chuckled good-naturedly along with his friend as they walked towards the repair shop.

-----------------

Immaculate Heart School, later that afternoon

“Sister Victoria?” Buffy called as she found the headmistress in one of the halls.

“Good afternoon, Elizabeth.” Sister Victoria smiled. “What can I do for you?

“I just wanted to give you this,” she handed the nun a framed enlargement of her favorite picture from the pond’s photo shoot. “I know it’s not much, but since I’ll be leaving soon I wanted you to have something to remember me by.”

“Oh, Elizabeth! This is a gorgeous self-portrait,” the nun replied as she appreciated the picture’s quality. “I have the perfect spot for it! Right in the lobby; that way every person that comes into the school would see it. Thank you, my child.”

Buffy beamed at Sister Victoria’s words, she didn’t give idle praise and placing the portrait on the lobby so that everyone could see it, was indeed a great honor. And maybe he would see the picture when he came to the dance on Friday and know beforehand that she was here and that they’d be able to finally meet and even if he didn’t, she would make sure they saw each other at the dance. Elated at that thought, she thanked the nun for her kind words and went back to her room with a spring to her step that hadn’t been there before.

---------------

Immaculate Heart School, Friday night

The boys practically glowed as they stepped out of the bus and walked in an orderly line into the school under Snyder and Wood's vigilant looks. The exhaustion after the hard chores they’d done that morning at the cemetery had vanished into thin air at the prospect of spending some quality time outside the camp with these girls.

Spike, as always, stayed at the end of the line with Snyder walking behind him. As he entered the school he noticed the portrait hanging at the center of the lobby’s front wall. He gasped as he recognized it held the image that had permeated his every thought since last Saturday. ‘She’s ‘ere! This paintin’ wouldn’t be ‘ere if she weren’t,’ he thought as he gazed dreamingly upon the picture.

Snyder stood beside him admiring the picture and commented, “Nice painting. I didn’t know you liked art.”

Spike threw him a dark look over his shoulder – one that he hoped asked very clearly how dare the warden interrupt his contemplation of his girl? Then remembering that he would probably meet her inside and that it wouldn’t do to knock Snyder off his feet, he breathed in deeply trying to rein in his temper. When he felt calmer, he turned around, a cocky smirk on his lips and he answered, “Not any art, just Impressionism.”

Spike stifled his laughter as he took in the warden’s confused look at his remark and felt supremely satisfied at having effectively silenced Snyder, he turned around again and began walking towards the place the other boys had disappeared into.

Snyder seethed with anger at Spike’s very evident lack of fear and respect of him, grumbling under his breath, “I promise someday I will have the pleasure of wiping that smug smirk from your face and see you cower with fear before me, Taylor. I’ll break you even if it’s the last damned thing I do.”

tbc

Next chapter: Buffy and Spike will finally meet face to face. ;) Oh! And I’ll try to update on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. :)