Author's Chapter Notes:
I used some dialogue from the episode “Crush”, written by David Fury, in this chapter. It’s not mine; I’m just using it because I felt it fitted into this part of the story.
Thank you BuffyandSpikeForever, Deborah, Ukchrisp, Brittany and Virce for reviewing. Hope you all enjoy this chapter as well. :)

Chapter 5

Buffy and Willow's room, after the dance

Willow bade good night to Amy and Rachel – they had offered to walk back with her to the dormitories after they finished cleaning the gym – and was about to open the door to her room when she heard… ‘Crying? Buffy’s crying?’ she thought appalled and entered their room, only to find Buffy curled up on her bed, sobs wrecking through her petite body.

“Buffy? What happened?” Willow asked worriedly, as she moved into the room and sat beside her friend over the bed, pulling her into her arms and running her hands soothingly over her back. She had thought everything had gone well with… ‘What was the name Xander called him by? It was a bit unusual, let’s see, Snake, Splyke. Argh! Whatever!’ She’d remember soon enough, either that or Buffy would surely tell her.

“Buffy, honey, you’re scaring me. Can you tell me what happened to make you cry like this?”

Between sobs, Buffy tried to tell Willow what had happened, but the redhead could only make out some words that sounded like father and Switzerland. Getting more confused by the minute she decided to calm Buffy down first and ask what happened again a bit later.

“Huh? Sweetie, can you do me a favor?” Buffy lifted her head from Willow’s shoulder and sniffling, she nodded. “Okay, first, breathe deeply,” Buffy did as instructed and then Willow handed Buffy a box of Kleenex, which the blond took gratefully. “That’s better, isn’t it?”

Buffy nodded again, feeling a bit calmer. “Now, let’s start again; because honey, I didn’t understand a word you just said!” Buffy giggled and Willow smiled warmly at her. “Ah, that’s more like it!”

“My dad called today. I would be transferred to the school in Geneva in two weeks,” Buffy’s eyes filled with tears again.

“Two weeks? Are they crazy?” Willow exploded.

“Preaching to the choir, Wills. It’s just that…” Buffy threw her hands in the air in a dramatic gesture. “Argh! I hate this. I hate not being able to do anything, not having a vote on what’s gonna happen with my life, you know?” the redhead nodded. “And then there’s him… Spike. Meeting him today, face to face, being able to talk to him, to touch him, it was like a dream come true. I’ve never felt anything like this before, he makes me feel… loved, cherished,” Buffy’s expression turned dreamful. “He said he’d call and I know he will, but what would happen if he does? My parents won’t let me stay, no matter how much I beg and I just don’t think I can stand this anymore, Will. How am I supposed to live without him now? Now that I’ve tasted a glimpse of heaven, how am I going to go back to what it was before? It hurts, Will, it hurts so much.”

“Aww, honey. I know it hurts, but let’s not worry about that today. Two weeks is enough time and we will figure something out, okay?”

Buffy smiled through her tears and hugged Willow again, “Have I ever told you how happy I am that you’re my friend.”

“I think you may have told me a couple of times before, not that I mind hearing it though,” Willow beamed at her friend. “So… I saw you were getting quite cozy with a certain blond boy. Spike, you said? That’s an unusual name, wouldn’t you say?

“It’s his nickname,” Buffy said sighing dreamily as she replayed in her mind all that had happened between her and Spike at the dance.

“Nickname? Do I even want to know how he got it?” Willow teased.

“To tell you the truth, I don’t know. I didn’t think of asking him. I know his name though, even if he made me promise not to repeat it.”

“Ohh, a secret! So will you tell me? Me being your best friend and all.”

“Nope.”

“That’s evil you know,” Willow smiled.

“Yep.”

“Okay, I see you won’t budge, I’ll respect that, but…” Willow said, as she put her resolve face on. “You will have to tell me everything else. I want all the details, my friend. He seemed to be quite taken with you.”

“Taken with me? Wherever did you catch that expression, Will?” Buffy asked playfully.

Willow smiled sheepishly, “I think Amy’s talk might have rubbed a bit on me when we were getting back from the gym.” Both girls giggled at that.

“Alrighty, I’ll tell you all you want to know about Spike, except his name, of course,” Buffy said with a mischievous smile gracing her face. “If you do the same about the brunette boy you were dancing with. You two seemed awfully friendly.”

Willow blushed and nodded. They spent a good part of the night talking about Spike and Xander and trying not to think about what would happen in the future.

----------------

Honor Camp’s barracks, Saturday at dawn

“Everybody get up!” Deputy Watley – the officer in charge of guarding the boys’ barracks at night – yelled, turning on the lights as he advanced into the building. Groans were heard from the sleepy boys as they stirred up in their beds. “Leaders! Line them up! ”

The boys lined up, each of them standing in front of their bunks as Watley checked for any irregularities. When the deputy noticed the vacant bed between Angel O’Connor and Riley Finn, his eyes almost bugged out of their sockets as he panicked.

“Where’s Forrest?” he asked. Most of the boys looked around confusedly and a few others just shrugged in answer as they realized what might have happened. The deputy couldn’t ignore the dreadful feeling that had settled in the pit of his stomach as he thought about how Mr. Snyder was going to react to this particular news. “Don’t play with me, boys! Where’s he?”

He blanched when the warden – holding a rifle in one of his hands – stepped into the room and walked over to where Watley stood. He saw the empty bed and said coldly, “Seems we’ve got ourselves a runner.” With an evil gleam in his eyes, he turned to walk through the lined boys while looking at each one pointedly. Once he reached Spike, he stopped and advanced until he was eye to eye with the blond, adding with a sneer, “Guess you’ll find out what happens when someone tries to make me look bad before the Camp Council, Taylor.”

Spike held his ground, refusing to lower his gaze or to show any kind of reaction to the evident challenge that tinted the warden’s voice, except for the clenching of his jaw. They stayed like that for a minute, until Snyder caught Watley’s nervous stance out of the corner of his eye and remembered that he had a more pressing issue right now than trying to break Taylor, that would have to wait until he’d taken care of Forrest. And with any luck, after the blond watched what happened to the boys that defy his authority, he’d be too afraid to stand up to him anymore.

Almost giddy with that perspective and the anticipated thrill of the hunt, Snyder cocked his gun once for show and nodding towards Watley, he stalked out of the room.

“C’mon, C’mon, get back in your bunks!” the deputy shouted, shooing the boys as he ran after Snyder.

----------------

After the early waking call and the subsequent discovery of Forrest’s escape, Spike had decided to skip sleeping in favor of replaying his encounter with his angel, with Buffy. Even her name was… well, not exactly pretty, that’s for sure. Where the hell had she gotten a nickname like that? But it certainly was as unique and cute as she was and strangely it suited her. A smile tugged on his lips at the thought of seeing her again, the problem was how? Maybe she could get out of the school and meet him at the cemetery? They were going to be working there all week and it was a big cemetery, so it shouldn’t be difficult to escape vigilance for a few minutes and find a place where they could be alone, especially if Snyder wasn’t going to be around for a while. He smirked thinking that maybe he’d ought to thank Forrest for escaping, even if he was a Demon, after all he’d simplified his life quite a bit.

He’d have to ask Xander and the Vampires for their help, he’d need them to distract Wood so he could sneak into his office to call Buffy. Surely Xander would have an idea of how to manage that.

That solved, his thoughts drifted back to his golden goddess and how much he missed her.

-----------------

Saturday morning

“You don’t need to worry for anything, my friend,” Xander said. “The Xan-man has a foolproof plan and I’m sure we can recruit the rest of the Vampires for our little scheme.”

Spike looked at him incredulously, “’N when did ya ‘ad time to make this plan, seein’ as I’m just sayin’ this to ya now?”

“I figured you weren’t about to let that little dove escape from your evil clutches, man,” he sneered. “That and I saw the photo with her phone number yesterday on the bus while you thought I was sleeping.”

Spike glanced at his friend surprised that he had fooled him and smiled, “Okay, so are ya sure that Andrew’ll change places with me so I can clean Mr. Wood's office today?”

“Considering Andrew is half in love with you and will do anything to help you, I’ll say that’s a done deal,” Xander replied. “And you should thank your lucky stars that we Vampires are on kitchen duty today, that’ll make this a whole easier.”

Spike decided not to kill Xander for his comment on Andrew’s crush – at least for the time being. He wasn’t too sure that Xander’s plan would work, but he still needed his help. Just thinking of hearing Buffy’s voice over the phone for even a second… yeah, that was definitely worth taking any risk and suffering any amount of teasing by his friend. He patted his shirt’s pocket and sighed in relief when he felt the letter he wrote for her was still there. It wouldn’t do to lose it, his mates and the Demons would have a field day, nah, more like a field year of laughing at his expense if they ever discovered that the Big Bad Spike wrote love letters for his girl.

--------------

Honor Camp’s Dining Room, at lunchtime

“Keep both hands on your trays,” Deputy Graham drolly said to the boys standing in line to get their food. “And don’t talk to each other.”

“So, would you like some spaghetti?” Xander smiled at Spike when it was his turn to fill his tray.

“Sounds good, mate,” Spike responded, handing the brunette boy his tray. Xander served the food and scanned the area to see if Graham was looking at them, finding him distracted reading a book, he broke a spatula and winking, he slipped it to Spike along with his tray.

“Next one,” Xander continued serving as if the exchange had never happened.

------------

Officer Wood's office, in the afternoon

“’Ow are ya doin’, Mr. Wood?” Spike asked as he lazily swept the floor inside Mr. Wood's office.

“Fine, thanks,” the deputy answered, without lifting his head from the paperwork he was reviewing.

“That’s good,” Spike said, he began whistling a tune as he cleaned.

“You seem to be pretty happy today, kid.”

“That’s ‘cause I am, sir.”

Wood smiled wistfully and then realizing that Spike wasn’t supposed to be cleaning his office, he asked, “What are you doing here? Did you change places with Andrew?”

“’M workin’ undercover,” Spike said lowering his voice to a whisper, getting closer to the deputy. “Andrew’s sick, so I offered to cover for ‘im.”

Before Wood could ask anything else, a very out-of-breath Scott Hope came running into the office, “Mr. Wood, there’s a rattlesnake in the kitchen! The cook wants you to please go and kill it right way.”

“A what?!” Wood exclaimed.

“A rattlesnake, sir.”

“Are you sure?”

Spike rolled his eyes from his place behind Wood's chair when he heard the deputy’s question. Couldn’t he hurry up? He had to call his girl and he’d like to do it somewhere around this century.

“Yeah, I saw it!”

“Impossible.”

“No, it’s not. Everyone else saw it, too,” Scott said hoping that the deputy took the bait already.

“Argh! Alright! Let’s go see if we find it,” Wood stood up from his chair and walked towards the reception area of his office. He opened a cupboard and took a rifle from it, checking if it was loaded.

Meanwhile Scott signaled Spike that he’d have around 5 minutes to make the call. Spike nodded as he slowly moved to the door that separated the two ambiences. He took the broken spatula out of his jeans’ back pocket and placed it on the lower part of the door’s frame to prevent it from locking when he closed it.

“Ready, sir? We should go or someone’s gonna get bitten,” Scott pressured.

“Close the door for me, Taylor,” Wood said, waiting beside the door until Spike came out of his office and closed the door.

Spike waited until he saw through the window that Scott and Wood were halfway towards the kitchen and then he opened the door to the office, a big smile grazing his features when he realized that the spatula had indeed prevented the door to lock.

Peeking through the window that was directly in front of the dining room building, he took the paper where he had written Buffy’s number out of his pocket and dialed.

“Shit!” Spike exclaimed, when he heard the busy tone and then he marked the numbers again, continuously looking through the window to check if Wood came back from the dining room.

--------------

At the Kitchen

“We all saw it, it was huge!” Xander explained, making a big show of telling Wood when and where he had seen the snake and pointing that it had hid beneath the stove.

“Okay,” Wood sighed, sometimes he hated this work. “Get back a little, I need room to maneuver.”

----------------

Spike waited impatiently until finally someone answered the phone, “Immaculate Heart School for Girls, how may I be of assistance?”

“Good mornin’, may I speak with Buffy?”

“Buffy?”

“Hrm, Elizabeth,” Spike said nervously.

“Hmmm, Elizabeth… Summers?” the woman asked.

“Yes,” Spike answered, praying there wasn’t any other Elizabeth at the school. He’d be royally screwed if she wasn’t his Buffy.

“May I ask who is calling, please?”

“Hank.”

Sheets rustling could be heard through the phone, and then, “I’m sorry, I’m not showing a Hank on the permission list.”

“Hank, Hank Summers, ‘er father,” Spike rolled his eyes. If this woman ask him something else he was gonna explode.

“Oh, Mr. Summers! Just a minute, I’ll transfer the call.”

Spike thrummed his fingers impatiently over the desk as he kept watching out for Wood's return. The waiting music that could be heard in the phone wasn’t helping to put him at ease at all. To be honest, it made him want to tear the phone out of its socket and throw it where the awful tune couldn’t be heard ever again.

“C’mon, pet, answer,” he pleaded.

He heard a click and then…

---------------

Buffy had been at Study Hall when she heard the announcement through the loudspeaker that she had a call from her father. She ran up the stairs to the second level of building to have a bit more privacy to talk as she prayed that it was Spike and not her father calling. The phone rang insistently when she got to the second level and she practically threw herself over it, and answered breathlessly, “H-hello?”

“’Ello, luv.”

“Spike,” she said dreamily. Then remembering that there might be someone listening, she added, “Hank… I mean… Hi, daddy!

‘’M ‘er daddy now?’ He chuckled, relieved and happy that he could finally hear her voice.

--------------

“Did you see it?” Xander asked as he hovered behind the deputy.

Wood shook his head as he moved his rifle from side to side under the stove, replying angrily, “There ain’t no damn snake here.” He looked towards the cook, “Clarisse?”

“What?” the plump woman responded.

“Who saw the snake first?” Wood questioned. The woman looked behind the deputy and tried to hide a smile as she noticed the desperate gestures Xander was making at her, signaling that the man would kill him if she said she hadn’t seen the snake.

“I did,” she replied.

“Well, I don’t see anything,” Wood said clearly annoyed.

--------------

“Wrote ya a letter, luv, but… uh, but I can’t mail it…” Spike said smiling.

“I wrote you a letter, too,” Buffy whispered, rolling her hair around her finger.

“They don’t let us send mail to our girlfriends,” Spike continued, smirking when he heard her gasp at his words. “Can I call ya that?”

Buffy shivered when his words washed over her and answered, “If you feel like it.”

“Feel like it!” he almost shouted then he lowered his voice to a husky whisper. “’M goin’ crazy without seein’ ya.”

She smiled relieved that he had been thinking of her and replied, “Really? Maybe I could go see you? We could say I’m your sister.”

“No, that wouldn’t work, they only allow parents,” Spike answered. He glanced towards the window and noticed that Wood was leaving the dining room and hastily added, “Listen, luv, I gotta go. We will be workin’ at the Saint Francis Cemetery every mornin’ this next week. I miss you.”

--------------

“Spike?” Buffy heard the disconnecting tone and whispered sadly as she put the phone back on its cradle, “I miss you, too.”

-------------

Spike barely had time to get out of the office, take the broken spatula off from the door and close it, when Wood entered the room, muttering over and over about people that made him chase things that weren’t there.

Spike kept silent until he finished cleaning the office, trying to keep the smile off his face. Once he got back to the barracks, he thanked his friends for their help. He still couldn’t believe that their plan had worked and that he had been able to talk with Buffy. Granted, it had been a very short talk, but it had been enough to make him feel like he was on heaven. Was this love? This feeling of complete and utter happiness at the thought of hearing her voice, of catching the merest glimpse of her, of being close to her, of drowning in her? He needed to see her, reassure himself that she felt something for him too.

-------------

Saint Francis Cemetery, Monday morning

An elderly couple approached Spike as he worked taking out the weed from the tombstones.

“Excuse us, young man,” the old man said. “Have you seen a pink marble tombstone with the name McPhee around here?

“Big M, little c, big P, little h, little e, little e,” the woman added.

“Yeah, I think I saw one just like that a little down that road,” Spike smiled kindly at them as he pointed to his right.

“Thanks, young man,” the woman replied.

“Ya’re welcome. ‘Ave a nice day.”

Spike turned around and kneeled on the ground again as he resumed his work until he heard a voice behind him asking, "Young man, have you ever had the hots for an older woman?"

“Excuse me?” Spike said, completely startled by the question. Still kneeling on the ground, he turned around to see who the person who had talked to him was and let out a shocked gasp when he found a woman completely clad in black kneeling before him. The woman laughed at his surprised expression as she slightly pulled back the black shawl covering her face and her hair to reveal the smiling face of his Buffy. “What are ya doin’ ‘ere, luv? They’ll see us ‘ere,” Spike asked her as he touched her cheek almost afraid that she would disappear when he did.

Buffy giggled as she took his hand in hers ― pulling it towards her lips and kissing it lightly ― while she whispered, “Meet you behind that crypt, okay?”

“Alright,” Spike nodded. Buffy pulled the shawl over her head and getting up from the ground, she walked towards the crypt she had mentioned.

Spike waited for a minute as he scanned the area to see if anyone had noticed her. When he saw nothing unusual, he followed her, trying to act as nonchalant as he could.

Buffy had already pulled the shawl off her face and hair when he reached her and he almost forgot how to breathe when he saw her beneath the sunshine for the first time. Every time he saw her she was more beautiful than the last time. ‘Ow is that possible? Especially considerin’ what she’s wearin’ now,’ he thought grinning as he took in the black nun habit and the heavy shawl that she was dressed in.

“Ya must be out of your mind,” Spike whispered as he threaded his fingers in her glorious hair and gazed into her green eyes. He still couldn’t believe she had come to see him! He had missed her so much.

“I know and I love it!” Buffy exclaimed happily as she threw her arms around him.

They pulled back slightly to gaze longingly into each other’s eyes, both afraid that this was just a dream and hoping that if it was they’d never had to wake up from it. He breathed in deeply trying to memorize her scent; then slowly, tenderly he took her face between his hands and kissed her forehead, then her eyes, her cheeks and finally her lips. He’d never felt like this before, it was like... he was flying. He felt free, complete, sure that if she was by her side he could do anything he put his mind on. He couldn’t believe she was here, in his arms, sweetly kissing him back.

‘Mmmmm, Spike lips, lips of Spike,’ Buffy closed her eyes as she felt his lips on hers, sighing dreamily as she thought that now she finally knew why the other girls raved so much about kissing. It was… he was… everything.

Remembering they had to breathe, Spike pulled away slightly, with an awed expression on his face, he said, “Never been like this for me, luv. Ya're all I bloody think about. Dream about. Ya're in my gut... my throat... I'm drownin’ in ya, Buffy, I'm drownin’ in ya.”

Buffy blushed prettily and beamed at him, as she said, “I’ve missed you so much, Spike. I-I’ve never felt like this for anyone. I can’t bear it when we’re apart.” She put one of her hands over his heart. “I feel your heart beating, can you feel mine?” she said taking his right hand in hers and putting it over her heart.

“I can feel your ‘eart,” he said huskily, threading his other hand in her hair. “I can feel your ‘air… Ya’re so incredible, luv, you know that?”

He lowered his head and kissed her again. The kiss started as a gentle breeze but it quickly escalated in passion as she opened her mouth under his to accept the invasion of his tongue. All the emotions they felt for one another rushing through them like a tidal wave.

Buffy’s knees weakened as his lips moved against hers, so soft, so loving. At that moment, the only thing that had her standing were his strong arms holding her to him.

She hugged him tightly towards her as they parted and giggling she hid her face on his chest, when she noticed an elderly couple looking at them and shaking their heads reprovingly.

“Oh, great!” Spike exclaimed, seeing it was the couple he had gave directions before. “I-I think you better go now, sweetheart.”

“No, Spike, no! I can’t leave you again.” She cried.

“I don’t want you to go, either, but if someone sees us… if we get caught–“ he said apologetically, shrugging as he tried to gather the courage to let her go. “We won’t be able to see each other anymore and I don’t want that either.”

“Neither do I, Spike,” she sighed regretfully, knowing that there was no other way around this. “Alright, help me put on my disguise.”

He covered her face and her honey blond hair with the shawl and as her face peeked from under it, he couldn’t resist kissing her again.

“Sooo cute,” he said smiling.

She gave him one last look full of longing and walked away from the cemetery as he went back to his work.

tbc

So, did you like it? I’d love to know if you did and if you didn’t, could you please tell me, too? This is my first Spuffy story and English is not my first language, so I’m not sure if everything is coming across as I want it to. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate today and a good day to all that don’t. :D