Author's Chapter Notes:
I want to thank ukchrisp, Niamh, rockerbaby, Brittany, spikestheman, Blazing Fire, BuffyandSpikeForever, jenny and noaluvjames for your comments on the last chapter. I'm glad that you're all enjoying this story.
Chapter 6

Buffy and Willow’s room, Monday afternoon

Willow entered the room after her classes were over and exhaled a relieved sigh when she found Buffy daydreaming on her bed.

“Hi, Buffy,” Willow said, leaving her book bag over the desk before sitting on her bed.

“Hi, Will. Are classes over for the day?”

“Yep. So, tell me, where did you disappear to this morning, missy?” Willow asked with barely concealed curiosity. “You were there for the first class and then… poof, no more Buffy for the rest of the day.”

“I had an appointment with Sister Victoria,” Buffy replied.

“Really? And how did that go?”

“Well, I think it went fine. She promised she would try to convince my father into letting me stay for the rest of the year. Let me tell you, she wasn’t that hard to convince once I reminded her of the juicy donations the school will lose if I leave.”

“That’s great, Buffy. But… that didn’t take you all morning, did it?” Willow asked lifting one of her eyebrows.

“I had to run some errands… things I have to do before my trip, you know?” the blond girl said nonchalantly and probably would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for the blush that graced her cheeks.

“And by any chance any of those things you had to do before your trip had white blond hair, blue eyes and killer cheekbones?” the redhead teased, smiling wider when Buffy blushed even more confirming her suspicions.

“How did you know?”

“To be honest, I didn’t. I just had a hunch. But now that you’ve already confessed, spill, my friend and I want tons of details. Remember I’m living vicariously through you, okay?”

“Okay,” Buffy responded. “I went to meet Spike at the cemetery and…” Buffy stopped talking suddenly.

“And…? What?” Willow pressed. “C’mon, Buffy, quit being a drama queen and tell me. I’m dying here.”

“Do we have homework for tomorrow? Because if we do, I should be doing that and not wasting time with this…” Buffy said with a straight face, although she was giggling inside at Willow’s baffled expression.

“No, no homework for tomorrow,” Willow shook her head, thoroughly confused by Buffy’s comment, since when was the blond girl so interested in homework? “Now tell me.”

“Are you sure? It’s kinda strange that Sister Jenny didn’t leave us any homework,” Buffy added giggling.

“Argh! And you say I’m the evil one!” Willow threw a pillow at Buffy, who caught it in the air. “Now, quit tiptoeing around the issue and tell me what happened with Spike.”

“Okay, okay. Remember I told you the boys were gonna be working at the cemetery all this week?” Buffy waited until Willow nodded to continue. “Well, I kinda borrowed a habit from Sister Harriet’s closet and a shawl I found at the gym and I disguise myself as an old lady, so no one would recognize me, you know?” she related. “And then I went to surprise Spike at the cemetery. It was… I don’t think there are words to describe it, Will. It was just perfect and…” Lowering her voice to a whisper Buffy leaned towards Willow. “He kissed me.”

“He kissed you?! Oh my God!” Willow exclaimed truly excited for her friend. “And how was it?”

“Oh, Will! Definitely squee-worthy, best first kisses a girl could ask for.” Buffy nodded to emphasize her point. “He’s just… I don’t know, I feel so much for him already. I know it hasn’t been long, but… I think I might be falling in love with him.”

“Awww, Buffy, that’s so sweet,” Willow replied. “Are you gonna see him again?”

Buffy nodded again. “Yeah, I’ll try to sneak out of school some other morning. Spike will be working at the cemetery all this week and we’ll definitely have to make good use of the little time we have left if Sister Victoria doesn’t convince my father.”

“Guess we have something worthy to pray for at mass this week, don’t we?” Willow said smiling.

“Yeah, we sure do.”

***

Car Shop Building, late afternoon

“So, this is it! Xander showed Spike the ‘escape’ map he had finished that afternoon. “Am I a mapmaker genius or what? It’s perfect, see?”

“Yeah, I see, mate,” Spike said very impressed by his friend’s abilities and for the detail of the map, it seemed pretty easy to follow, even for someone that wasn’t familiar with the area like him. “Right perfect for what we want, yeah?”

“You bet, man!” Xander exclaimed, then lowered his voice to a whisper when he remembered that any of the other guys – or even worse, Woods or any of the other deputies – might come over and discover them and their little escape plan if he let his enthusiasm show too much. “Alright. Do you see this valley?” Spike nodded. “An old lumbering company used it some time ago, they sent the lumber down this river to the sawmill. The place is like a honeycomb of tunnels. Sounds familiar?”

“That-that’s the place I used to go camping with my dad!” Spike whispered incredulously. “But ‘ow did ya know about it?”

“Duh! You told me. Remember when you just came here and we began talking about our fathers?” Spike stared blankly at Xander for a second, until his friend continued talking. “How you and your dad used to go there all the time when you first moved to the States?” Spike smiled wistfully at the memory and nodded.

“So I did a bit of research and it turns out that the place is perfect for our plans,” Xander replied. “Now, check this out. It’s a really weird river, over ground, underground, waterfalls, the works, you name it and the river probably has it. So, this volcanic roller coaster heads south through here and that’s the good news, there’s supposed to be an isolated cabin right about here,” Xander made a pause to point to a little house drawn on the map. “It’s located about seven miles from the highway that goes to the Forest Service offices and that’s the bad news, I don’t think the cabin is still there.”

“Why’s that?” Spike asked, glancing to the entrance of the shed when he heard what seemed to be the Demons returning from their afternoon duty at the cemetery.

“They turned the valley into a National Wildlife Reserve or something like that. You know, for animals and things like that? They tore all the buildings down...” Xander trailed as he followed Spike’s gaze and noticed the boys walking toward the dining room. “Are you sure you can’t talk to your father?”

“No, I don’t know where ‘e lives anymore.”

“Well, we’ll worry about that later,” Xander replied. “Did you finish repairing the Mustang?”

“Yeah, she’s all ready to roll, just took the distributor cap off so no one else notices she actually works,” Spike smirked.

“Good thinking, man. So we have the map, the car and the money we’ve managed to scrape between the two of us,” Xander said. “I’ll say we’re ready to flee out of this hellhole any minute now.”

“Oh! We-we might be havin’ some company, too,” Spike said with a soft expression on his face.

“What the hell are you talking about?” the brunette boy asked puzzled.

“Buffy,” Spike answered. “I want to brin’ ‘er with me.”

“What? Are you crazy? You can’t take her with you…” Xander tried to reason, sighing defeatedly when he saw Spike’s determined expression. He knew there was no use in trying to convince his friend when he’d set his mind on something. “Ok, ok! When are we leaving?”

“Soon, now we gotta go before they begin lookin’ for us,” Spike said as he realized it was almost dark and it wouldn’t be long until they got called for dinner.

Xander nodded and taking the map from the table, he rolled it and hid it under his shirt, still unsure if it was a good idea to take the girl with them.

tbc

I know this chapter is shorter than the others, but hopefully begins to set things up for what will happen in the next few chapters and I can promise there'll be plenty Spuffyness on the next two chapters. I hope to be posting Chapter 7 on Monday. :)