Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this has taken so long, Willow and Oz wanted to interrupt but I shooed them off, possibly to a later chapter. It’s a little short but I’ll update soon. I’ve been heaps busy with uni enrolment, and I start classes in less than a month. Please review, I adore your comments!
On Friday, Buffy got up bright and early to work on her acceptance letter. She wished she could call Willow to ask if she had a roommate, but she was still grounded. Addressing and sealing the envelope, Buffy went downstairs with it.

“I’m going to study at UC Sunnydale,” she announced to her mother and sister, seated in the kitchen. Placing her letter on the bench, she sighed, “this is my acceptance letter, please post it, I can’t because I’m grounded.”

Dawn rolled her eyes at her sister’s bored tone. “Could you be any more pathetic? Sunnydale, how adventurous.”

“Dawn!” Joyce chastised the younger girl. “Please be more supportive of your older sister.” Another eye roll was her only answer. “Buffy, that’s wonderful, dear. Would you like some breakfast? I was just going to make pancakes.”

“No thanks, mum,” Buffy replied. “I think I’ll just go upstairs and mope some more in my room, alone. You see, it’s my vacation, and I’ve been grounded so I can’t see my friends.” In order to avoid being told off for her sarcasm, she quickly escaped up the stairs.

~~

On Saturday, Joyce and Dawn went out for lunch. But rather than sulk, which she only did to make her mother feel guilty for preventing her from enjoying her summer, Buffy did something productive.

She checked the weather forecast, predictably sunny, and went through her closet for something to wear to a picnic.

Flipping quickly past all pants and jackets, she went through her shirts more slowly. Her latest underwear purchase, a leopard-print thong, seemed the naughtiest thing she’d ever owned. Perhaps a skirt that sat low on her hips, and a short top? Something that, when she leaned over, was guaranteed to give Spike a peek of it.

Pulling out a tiny denim skirt, she had to hunt through a little more to find a suitable top. In fact, the only midriff-bearing tops she owned looked so skanky with the skirt that she didn’t think she could bare to look in a mirror with the outfit on.

Back to square one, she figured that a black bra would best match her thong. Maybe she could wear a cute blue blouse, not see-though like some of the paler colours, with the denim skirt? He’d probably talk her into doing it in his car, so he’d see the thong eventually. Hmm…

The phone started ringing. Buffy’s attention was drawn to her bedside table. She crossed her fingers, hoping it was Spike. Not allowed to even answer the phone, she sat down and waited while it rang. Eventually the answering machine picked it up.

“Hi, this is Anna, could Dawn call me back? Bye.”

Damn, not Spike. Oh well, she would’ve just let her surprise, the underwear, slip out anyway.

Holding the blouse and skirt up to herself in front of the mirror, Buffy confirmed her choices and then hid them in the back of her closet. No need for Dawn to come across them, should she shuffle through looking for something to borrow. That girl’s room was like a black hole for clothes!

~~

The next morning, Buffy showered and dressed before heading downstairs for a quick breakfast. “Good morning!” she said happily to her sister and mother.

“Morning, sweetie,” Joyce replied, though Dawn just frowned and went back to her waffles. “I was thinking we could go out for lunch today, the three of us, to that new Italian restaurant in town. I’m in the mood for some garlic bread and spaghetti bolognese.”

Buffy smiled, putting bread into the toaster. “I’m going on a picnic with Spike today. Maybe another time.”

Dawn, who had perked up at the thought of pizza, frowned. “Mum, she always goes out with Spike. Make her come with us.”

“No!” Buffy argued. “I haven’t seen him for a whole week,” which wasn’t true, he’d snuck in on Thursday night, but they didn’t know that, “and she’s just jealous.”

Joyce quickly diffused the situation. “Buffy, you can go on your picnic. Dawn, you and I will go out to eat. We could see a movie after that if you’d like.”

“Yeah, fine,” Dawn grumbled. While pleased that she was going out for lunch, she was annoyed that Buffy got to spend time with her hot boyfriend, who she totally didn’t deserve. Finished with her waffles, she went upstairs to get dressed for the day.

Buffy had finished her toast and was just touching up her lipgloss when the doorbell rang. “Bye Mom,” she called out, hurrying out the door. “I’ll be home before dinner.”

“Have fun, sweetie!” Joyce replied from the kitchen.

~~

Buffy greeted her boyfriend with a smile and a kiss. “Hi Spike,” she said sweetly.

“Hi babe,” he said, taking her hand. He led her out to his car. He’d put the top down so they could get the wind in their hair, especially when they hit the highway.

She couldn’t stop smiling as Spike opened the car door for her. She wasn’t grounded anymore, and she was sitting in a convertible beside her boyfriend. All seemed right with the world.

Spike glanced at Buffy as they began their drive. She was perfect. So smart, and always willing to help him with schoolwork, but gorgeous at the same time. He’d been eying her tiny denim skirt, the torn bottom hem making it seem even more indecent. When she’d sat down in the car, he’d watched it ride frustratingly up. And that blouse, if only she’d undo another button or two…

“Are we going to the beach?” Buffy interrupted. “I don’t have a swimsuit, but afterwards we can go back to my house, if you want. Mum and Dawn will probably be out for hours.”

“Um, yeah. The beach. And your house.” He could only think of what they’d be doing at her house. She has that big, comfy bed, and soft pillows, and perhaps she’d be interested in trying out some handcuffs…

Buffy noticed his odd expression. “Eyes on the road,” she reminded him, mock-seriously. She shook her hair out of its ponytail and let it free and Spike tried to keep his mind on driving.

TBC