Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for the reviews guys
Buffy and Spike were more inseparable after they had opened their hearts to each other and both Joyce and Giles had started to become worried about the young couple. Giles was hoping Spike would be going back to college unaware that he had walked out and fretted that he would stay because of Buffy and Joyce hoped that Buffy would attend the dance school and not give up her dream for Spike.
Deciding to take action Joyce invited Giles and Spike for dinner and was making last minute preparations while waiting for them.

“Buffy will you please set the table, I don’t want to have to ask you again”

She shook her head and sighed as she headed back into the kitchen. Buffy had been fussing over what to wear for half the day which her mother found ludicrous as she had been seeing Spike for a while and he had probably seen her in every outfit she owned. She sighed again as she heard Buffy running into the bathroom,

“Be down in a minute mom “

Buffy stared at her reflection in the mirror as she re-applied her lip gloss. Smiling at her appearance she checked her hair to make sure pinning it up had been the right choice and then headed for the stairs. She knew it was silly to worry about what to wear but it was the first time that the parents were meeting and it somehow cemented the relationship more in Buffy’s eyes.

She had tried on every outfit in her closet before remembering on a red summer dress she had stored in the back not thinking she’d ever wear it. Pulling it out she held it up against her body In the mirror and grinned

“perfect”.

It was a simple halter dress that came to mid thigh, the back of the dress didn’t actually start until her lower back so there wasn’t that much of it from that view but it sat well on the curve of her hips and the fact that it was Spikes favourite colour didn’t hurt.

Just as she finished setting the table the doorbell rang and Buffy felt her heart skip a beat, she wanted the night to be perfect and depending on how she felt it went she was going to ask her moms permission for Spike to stay the night. Swinging the door open Buffy’s face lit up as she was met with a dozen red roses

“Wow Spike they’re beautiful”

She took them from him and went to show him into the house when she felt him drag her back and crush his mouth against hers leaving her breathless.

“Wow yourself kitten, you look absolutely gorgeous, did you wear that for me?”

He cocked his eyebrow as his eyes grazed over her body appreciatively. She giggled and gave him a sly smile

“Maybe”

Just as she leaned in to kiss him again they were met with the sound of two throats clearing and found themselves in between Joyce and Giles, pulling apart they both blushed slightly and muttered their apologies.

“Joyce this is my dad, Da this is Buffy’s mum Joyce”

Sweeping over the woman before him like his son had done to the younger Summers woman Giles cleared his throat again and extended his hand

“Well Mrs Summers it’s a pleasure to finally meet you”

She blushed feeling like a school girl again as she squeezed his hand gently and batted her eyelashes,

“Please Mr Giles call me Joyce”

“Ok Joyce and it’s Rupert”

He gave her his most charming smile as she led them into the dining room and went to the kitchen to cool down.

“Mom go you and your bad self flirting shamelessly with Giles like that”

She jumped as she Buffy’s voice brought her back to her senses and felt the colour rise to her cheeks again

“Buffy don’t be so ridiculous I was just being friendly”

she busied herself getting the lasagne out of the oven and missed Buffy’s smirk.

“Da could you have been more obvious”

Spike eyed his father as he caught him trying to catch a glimpse of Joyce in the kitchen, taking off his glasses and cleaning them he addressed his son who sat there grinning at him,

“William I assure you I don’t know what you are talking about”

“You know exactly what I’m talking about, I mean I don’t blame you the Summers women are quite a rare find but you don’t have to go falling at her feet like that, play it cool”.

Just as he finished his little speech Buffy entered carrying a tray of drinks and Spike nearly fell off his seat to help her, hearing his dad’s chuckle he looked over questioningly and heard him mutter

“Play it cool indeed”.

After they had all sat, Buffy and Spike looked at each other and smiled both knowing exactly what the other was thinking, their parents had yet to address the couple and they began to wonder if the pair would notice if they slipped away quietly. Just as that thought entered Spikes head he felt something soft on his leg and smirked when he realised it was Buffy’s foot.

He watched as she struck up a conversation with his father like she was doing absolutely nothing wrong. Taking her foot in his hand he tickled her ankle lightly and watched as she squirmed uncomfortably.

“Buffy is there something wrong?”

“No mom I’m fine, I just felt something tickle my foot”

She kicked at his hand as she spoke and hit her knee on the table, letting out a cry of pain she glared as Spike laughed at her.

“Please you two you are at a dinner table and it is not polite to play footsie under the table”

Joyce snapped and looked at Rupert

“I’m sorry, kids today”

Nodding in agreement the two began flirting with each other again and Spike and Buffy sulked.

The evening went without any previous hitches and Buffy decided that she would ask her mom about the sleeping arrangements, before she could get a word in she heard her talking to Giles on the porch

“I know Rupert it is a worry, they are both so young and I fear they’ll put their lives on hold for one another”

“I agree Joyce, I was expecting William to go back to college but he hasn’t even hinted when that may be, Buffy is a lovely young girl and maybe in a few years their relationship would work but I’m afraid we need to put a stop to it”

“I think it’s for the best, I mean they are both young and will eventually find other people when they stop sulking, it’s settled then, we try to stop them seeing each other, the only question is how?”

Not wanting to hear anymore Buffy ran upstairs to find Spike who had gone the bathroom letting her tears flow freely down her face.

“Buffy, luv what’s wrong?”

Spike ran his hand along her hair as she sobbed in to his chest, she raised her head up and he ran his other hand along her cheeks wiping away the tears.
After he had calmed her down she finally managed to tell him about the conversation their parents had had and Spike went ballistic, he barely reached the door before Buffy started to cry again and his face softened as he swooped her back into his arms.

“Ssh baby it’s gonna be ok, we’ll just tell them that we don’t care what they think and they can both sod off”

Buffy wiped her eyes frantically and looked up in to his eyes seeing the pained expression there for the first time.

“We cant do that Spike, if we do it that way my mom will dig her heels in and we wont be allowed to see each other”

He kissed her forehead and tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ears, he could feel his own eyes watering as she spoke to him but knew he had to be strong and figure a way out.

“Ok luv what about if we tell them we’ve broken up”

She threw her arms around him and started crying again so he grabbed both her shoulders and made her look at him.

“Buffy I don’t mean we actually do break up just make them believe we have, we’ll pretend to have an argument of some sort and tell them we’ve split up and act all heart broken and angry at one another”

She looked at him and smirked slightly,

“Do you think it would work?”

“I think we’d make it work, besides the sneaking around could make it that much more fun luv”

Before she had chance to say anything else he smashed his lips against hers groaning in to her mouth as she started to undo his belt.

Twenty minutes later after both had come down from their highs they decided it was time, they reluctantly got out of bed and dressed before Joyce or Rupert decided to check on them kissed each other and headed for the bedroom door. Silently counting to three Spike nodded at Buffy and she smiled,

“Fine, I don’t want to see you anymore either, all you talk about is this sodding dance audition you never take any bloody notice of what I want”

“Well if you actually spoke about anything of interest to me instead of babbling complete nonsense all the time maybe I would listen to you”

“I’ve had it Buffy you choose now, me or dance”

After grinning at each other for a few seconds Buffy gestured for him to carry on and blew him a kiss

“Fine luv I take the not answering me as you choosing dance, see you around”

He winked as he stormed down the stairs and practically knocked over his dad as he flew out of the door. He got into the car and rolled down the window

“DA ARE YOU COMING?”

He shouted before stating the engine.

“Oh dear I have to go, Joyce thank you for a wonderful evening and I hope Buffy is ok remember this works in our favour”

He kissed her cheek as he left the house and Joyce made her way upstairs.

When Buffy heard the footsteps she willed herself to cry which she found wasn’t hard considering the conversation she had heard her own mother participate in.

“Buffy honey, can I come in?”

She knocked lightly on the door before entering and found her daughter sprawled on her bed singing in between sobs,

“All by myself, don’t wanna be, all by myself”

She grabbed a tissue and blew her nose before acknowledging Joyce

“I hate him mommy I’m glad I’m going away to dance school”

She let out her sobs again and Joyce scooped her up in to a hug cooing words of comfort.

“I’m sorry sweetie”

“Its all your fault”

She sobbed out and Joyce snapped back

“What did you say?”

“I said its not your fault”

She felt her mom relax a little and let her hold her for a few minutes longer, pulling away she forced a smile

“I’m ok mom I think I need some sleep”

Her mother nodded and left her alone deciding she needed a drink, she never wanted her daughter hurt but she thought it was best.