Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who commented on chapter 1- the support and kindness you all wrote was sincerely appreciated! I hope you continue to enjoy the fic! :)
Buffy eagerly logged online several times a day, hoping to see a reply from William, but after a week without any word from him, she figured he either wasn’t interested or perhaps had someone in his life already.

Ten days after sending the message, she was surprised to see a response in her e-mail inbox. She quickly opened it up before looking out the window of her office to make sure Anya was busy consulting a customer and that there wasn’t anyone else in the gallery who might’ve needed her assistance. Once she finished her perusal, she focused on the screen and read his note.

Dear Buffy,

I genuinely apologize for not replying to you sooner. I’m afraid my job requires me to travel often and I’ve been in New York for a couple of weeks. If you would still like to converse sometime, I would be interested in learning more about you.

Sincerely,

W. Brooks


Buffy smiled and decided to type a message back to him, instantly freezing in her tracks when Anya suddenly appeared in the office, a knowing look on her face.

“He finally responded, didn’t he?” she asked, smirking. “What’d he say?”

“He was in New York for work and is interested in me,” Buffy answered, trying to keep the level of excitement she was feeling out of her voice. “So I’m going to reply.”

“Now?” Anya asked, quickly shaking her head. “Wait a day or so. Otherwise, he’ll know how desperate you really are.”

“I’m not desperate!” Buffy defensively shot back.

“Whatever you say,” Anya replied. “But give it a little time so it doesn’t look like you’ve been dying for a message from him.”

“Fine,” Buffy said, sighing as she closed her laptop. “Have I missed anything out on the floor?”

“Not at all,” Anya answered as she sat down. “We’ve had three customers all day- that might be a new record.”

“Business booms around the holidays,” Buffy said, shrugging. “I’m not too concerned about making profits this year.”

“I would be if I were you,” Anya said sadly. “Buffy, this gallery costs more than I will ever know, I’m sure, but I do know that you’re not cashing out too much.”

“Mom had better luck,” Buffy replied, looking down. “She’s a savvy businesswoman, something that I’m definitely not.”

“You know, if you told her about this place and that you might need a little…” she trailed off as Buffy glared at her. “If you ask for some help or input, you know she’ll gladly step in.”

“I’m almost thirty- I shouldn’t need my mommy around to watch my back,” Buffy mumbled. “If things get really bad, then I’ll call her.”

Anya stood up and headed out of the office, saying, “That might be sooner rather than later.”

Don’t I know it, Buffy thought before opening her laptop and rereading William’s message. I don’t care what Anya said- I’m doing this now. It’ll help me take my mind off of how big a failure I am.

Little did she know that on the other side of the city, William Brooks was just as excited as she was to meet someone new.

* * * * *

Over the course of the following week, Buffy and William began to correspond through e-mails, finding out more about each other and developing a friendship. When he invited Buffy out for dinner, she was skittish about it but decided that there wasn’t any harm in meeting him in a public place. She happily accepted the offer, and they planned to meet up on a Friday night at a restaurant near the gallery so she could work until closing time.

When she told Anya about it, she was pleasantly surprised but reminded Buffy of what she had said before about meeting people from online and how unsafe it is.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to tag along?” Anya asked. “I mean, I could go in with you and sit off to the side to make sure everything goes smoothly.”

“I couldn’t ask you to forego spending a night out on the town to baby-sit me,” Buffy replied. “But thank you. I’m sure it will be fine.” She paused and shrugged. “And if it’s not, I’ll abandon ship before he can even blink.”

“I don’t want to see you get hurt again,” Anya said. “After what happened between you and-”

“How many times do I have to tell you not to say his name?” Buffy asked, crossing her arms.

“Just be careful, okay?” Anya asked. “I don’t want to have to beat the guy to death with a shovel and figure out a way to hide the body. Been there, done that.”

“Not funny,” Buffy replied, smiling a little. “Everything will be fine.”

“Yes, keep telling yourself that,” Anya said, grinning. “Optimism helps.”

“I hope so,” Buffy said, taking a deep breath. “It’d be nice if William ends up being worthwhile, you know? I wouldn’t be opposed to something good coming out of this meeting, like a real relationship.”

“Don’t jump the gun,” Anya said, heading to the office’s door. “See how things go before you start planning your wedding.”

“Will do,” Buffy replied, giggling. “Either way, thanks for telling me about the site- it’s given me a reason to believe that I don’t have to be single for the rest of my life if I don’t want to be.”

“You’re welcome,” she said. “All I ask in return is that if this William guy has hot friends, set me up with one.”

“Gladly,” Buffy said, smiling as Anya exited the office, looking at the last message William had sent her, feeling a surge of excitement course through her for the hundredth time that week.

This could end up being something great, she thought. It could also end up being suck-worthy, but I’ll take my chances. She sighed and opened up William’s profile, looking at his picture and smiling softly. He seems like he really might be worth it.




A/N (Part 2): I'll be the first to admit that this chapter isn't long, but there needed to be a bridge between their online chatting and meeting. William will definitely be making an appearance in the next chapter! The question is, will he be the man she thinks he is?