Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who left reviews and/or birthday wishes- I appreciated them very much! I'm going to try to update soon, but please don't freak out if I don't- it's finals week for me and I have one paper and one exam left to survive through. I hope you enjoy this chapter! :)
Throughout the following week, Buffy and Spike met up several times, both wanting to spend as much time together as possible before Spike was to move back to London. It was undeniable that they had feelings for one another, and the last thing Buffy wanted to do was say goodbye to him, hoping he felt the same way.

When it came time for Spike to leave for the airport, Buffy offered to accompany him, picking him up early in the morning and trying to figure out a way to see him again, knowing in her heart that it was entirely possible that they would split up that day and never see each other or talk again.

As they waited for his flight to be called, Buffy nervously fidgeted, knowing sooner or later that it would be best to at least admit that she liked him and was open to meeting up again someday.

No harm in being honest, she told herself. Otherwise, you might regret not saying something for the rest of your life.

“Something on your mind, pidge?” Spike asked, noticing the indecisive look on her face.

“Just thinking,” she answered, managing to sound dismissive. “Excited to go home?”

“Yes and no,” he said, shrugging. “Moving is never fun- too much work and more of a hassle than anything else. The job sounds fun, though, especially since photography has always been a passion of mine. I wasn’t cut out to be a businessman- art is practically an obsession.” He looked at her. “We’ve got that in common.”

“Yes, we do,” she agreed, smiling.

“And then there’s you in the equation,” he said, sighing.

“What do you mean?” she asked, the butterflies in her stomach beginning to stage a coup.

“Don’t fancy leaving you,” he answered, putting his hand on hers. “It would’ve been nice to spend a lot more time with you, you know? You’re an amazing woman, and I almost wish I wasn’t leaving so that we could explore a relationship.”

Before she could respond, his flight number was called over the loudspeakers, signaling the end of their time together. Both hesitantly stood up, awkwardly turning to face each other.

“Well, luv, looks like it’s time for me to go,” he said quietly, watching her sadly nod. “It’s not forever… unless you want it to be.”

“No, I’d like to see you again,” she replied quickly before smiling sheepishly. “I mean, that’d be nice.”

“Great,” he said, grinning. “I guess this is goodbye for now, then.”

“Guess so,” she said, taking a deep breath to calm the emotions warring inside her as he hugged her close, not wanting to let her go.

“Goodbye, Buffy,” he whispered before pressing his lips to hers for a brief kiss, hearing his flight announced again.

“Goodbye, Spike,” she replied, managing a brave smile as he picked up his carry-on bag and kissed her forehead before their eyes locked for a long moment. “I’ll talk to you soon, alright?”

“Soon won’t be fast enough,” he said, winking at her. “I’ll be seeing you.”

She nodded before he turned and walked towards a flight attendant who was taking tickets from passengers. She watched him head to the terminal before he turned and waved at her, smiling when she waved back.

Best leave now, mate, before you change your mind, he thought, turning again and walking down the narrow hall that led to the plane, inwardly berating himself for leaving behind a woman that he was beginning to truly care about.

* * * * *

Over the course of the next couple of months, Buffy and Spike wrote each other e-mails and occasionally talked on the phone, doing everything in their power to maintain a friendship despite their busy schedules, locations, and time differences.

It was as Buffy remembered a trip she had planned before she had met Spike that she realized it would be possible for her to see him again faster than they had both anticipated.

Anya came in to the gallery one morning and saw Buffy sitting at her desk, frantically typing an e-mail and grinning mischievously.

“Alright, what have I missed?” she asked as she sat across from Buffy. “Did you get lucky last night?”

“No,” Buffy replied, still typing. “Do you remember when I mentioned that one artist in London a while ago? Drusilla Adams?”

“Yeah, what about her?” Anya asked, confused.

“Well, I scheduled a trip there so I could meet up with her and see if we could sell some of her things here,” Buffy answered, finally looking up from the laptop. “I put the trip on the backburner because of the financial stuff we’ve had going on but didn’t ever cancel my flight.”

“I’m still lost,” Anya replied. “Why does this have you in such a good mood?”

“Because I get to go to London and kill two birds with one stone,” Buffy said excitedly. “I can meet this artist and visit Spike- it’s perfect!”

“Buffy, not to be the face of reason in an otherwise ‘perfect’ plan, but do you really have the money to do this?” Anya asked. “I mean, business has been really bad these last two weeks, stress on ‘really’. I’m not naïve enough to ignore how much you’ve been cutting back on little things lately- I know a penny-pincher when I see one.”

“Anya, not even money is going to stop me from going,” Buffy said, standing up. “If I have to ask my mom for a loan, I’ll do it. You don’t know how perfect this trip is- it couldn’t come at a better time.”

“And you’re sure that Spike will want you there?” Anya asked quietly.

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked, quirking an eyebrow as she closed her laptop.

“Is he seeing anyone there?” she asked. “Is he going to be around when you’re there?” She hesitated. “Are you sure getting involved with him is a good idea? I mean, long-distance relationships are more likely to flounder than float.”

“Thank you for being logical,” Buffy mumbled as she walked out of the office, not surprised to hear Anya’s heels clicking on the ground behind her.

“I don’t want to see you get hurt,” she said, sighing. “When I told you about the website, I thought you’d maybe find a guy in the city and start a relationship with him.”

“Yeah, what’s your point?” Buffy asked, turning around when Anya grabbed her arm.

“You can go out to London and boink Spike all you want, but what will happen when the party’s over and you’re thousands of miles apart again?” Anya asked. “I’m happy that you’ve found a great guy like him, but it’s important to be realistic about this, Buffy.”

“I’m not some schoolgirl with a crush,” Buffy said, breaking away from Anya’s hold and walking into the main part of the gallery, officially opening it for the day.

“Couldn’t she have found a guy to sleep with and walk away from?” Anya asked quietly, watching her boss walk around before heading into the storage room. “This one will break her heart, mark my words.”

* * * * *

Spike checked his e-mail while he was at the magazine’s main office, waiting for some rolls of film to develop. He immediately opened the latest one from Buffy, reading through it with a smile on his face.

Dear Spike,

I am going to be taking a business trip to London the first week of January so that I can meet up with an artist there. I’ll only be staying for a few days before briefly going to Wales and Dublin for about a week, but if you’re interested, I’d like to see you while I’m in England. If you’re available during that time, let me know.

With Hope,

Buffy


Spike instantly began to reply to her message, ecstatic that he would be seeing her so soon.

Pet, of course I’d like to see you when you’re in London. In fact, I would be privileged to have you stay with me while you’re here. Plus, it’d make the trip cheaper, and I’m sure you’re already in the midst of figuring out the least expensive ways of traveling throughout the UK.

I can’t stress enough how happy I am that you’ll be coming here, luv. I’ve missed you more than words can ever express.

Sincerely,

Spike


“What’s got you glowing so much?” his co-worker Wesley joked, watching as Spike sent the e-mail with a grin forming on his lips.

“A girl I met in L.A. is coming here on a business trip,” Spike answered cheerfully.

“A ‘business’ trip?” Wesley asked, raising an eyebrow. “Please tell me you’re not daft enough to believe that she’s coming here on ‘business’, Spike.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, confused. “She runs a gallery and is meeting with an artist here- she’ll be doing work while she’s in the city.”

“Awfully convenient that the artist she’s meeting with is here,” Wesley said, smiling.

“Yes, it is,” Spike agreed, narrowing his eyes at his friend. “Why do you look so amused, mate?”

“We both know there’s more to the story than whatever she told you,” Wesley replied. “She’s coming here more for you than to meet some artist. Artists are all across the globe- she could go anywhere, but she’s coming here to see you, not some bloke with a paintbrush who’s probably mediocre.”

“I had thought of that, yes,” Spike said, smirking. “Did you really think I hadn’t figured that out?”

“Just making sure you’re not naïve,” Wesley said before walking away.

She’s coming to see me, Spike said to himself as he walked into the darkroom, glad that he would be done with work soon and that the girl he had been dreaming about would be in London with him within a couple of weeks’ time.





A/N (Part II): Now, before anyone points out the airport thing with Buffy waiting with Spike and how you can't do that anymore due to security, I just want to say that I do know this, but it sounded much more romantic to have her sit with him and wait instead of just dropping him off. Hopefully that's okay with everyone else :)