Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm sorry this update took so long- between last-minute shopping for the holidays, studying for exams, and writing final papers, I was crunched for time over the last week. Hopefully this chapter is well worth the wait:)
“Buffy,” Xander said, smiling as he hugged her for a moment before Buffy took a small step back. “What a small world, isn’t it? The last thing I would ever expect is for us to meet up again on a plane. I mean, we haven’t seen each other since-”

“I walked in on you sleeping with Faith, my ex-roommate,” Buffy finished for him, crossing her arms.

“Yeah,” he replied, shifting awkwardly as he looked down. “How is she, by the way?”

“How should I know?” she asked, tilting her head. “I haven’t seen her since the day I kicked her out of the apartment. I thought you two were dating…” At his sheepish expression, she raised an eyebrow. “Right?”

“It was more of a one-time deal,” Xander said.

“From what Faith told me, I’d say it was more of a couple-time deal,” Buffy shot back, annoyed.

“It wouldn’t have worked out,” Xander said, shrugging. “She’s too wild for me.”

“Well, as long as you don’t regret what you did, in the process throwing away our relationship just for a few quick fucks,” Buffy replied quietly, narrowing her eyes at him. “I know I don’t regret breaking it off with you.”

“Are we really going to have this discussion next to the bathrooms?” he asked, looking at the row of doors behind her.

“No,” she answered, pasting a smile on her face. “We’re not going to talk at all. You can go on with your day while I go on with mine.”

“Kind of hard not to see you, though, when we’re on the same plane together for a few more hours,” he replied. “Why are you going to London? The girl I knew never spent money on frivolous things, like trips across the globe.”

“It’s for the gallery,” she said, only partially lying. “I’m supposed to be meeting up with an artist in the city before going around the United Kingdom for a bit.” She paused, her curiosity getting the better of her. “What prompted your trip to England?”

“I have a girlfriend there,” he answered, noticing the look of surprise cover her features. “I met her on a plane a couple of months ago, and we started dating. I have time off of work for a bit, so I figured I’d fly over to be with her for a while.”

And the coincidences never stop, Buffy thought. Well, not that Spike is my boyfriend. Yet, at least.

“Well, I hope you enjoy your trip,” he said, walking past her to open the door of the bathroom she had exited minutes before. “I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around.”

“Not if I have a say in it,” she replied, tilting her chin up as she walked away, returning to her seat and sighing as she slouched down.

“I’m guessing something not so pleasant happened while you were away,” Tara said, giving her a sympathetic look.

“Guys are trouble,” Buffy murmured, closing her eyes as she rested her head back.

“And people wonder why I’m dating a girl,” Tara replied quietly, smiling when Buffy giggled quietly.

* * * * *

As the end of the flight neared, Buffy was grateful that she hadn’t seen Xander at all since the incident hours before. She was becoming giddy to get off of the plane, excited to be in a new place with a guy that she missed and was anxious to spend more time with. Tara saw Buffy fidgeting and put her hand on hers, giving her an encouraging smile.

“Don’t be nervous,” Tara said. “You survived being on a plane this long with an ex and lived to tell the tale- spending time with Spike should be a breeze after this.”

“I hope so,” Buffy replied. “I’m just worried that this trip will change things for us.” She sighed and looked down. “Not for the better, I mean.”

“I’m sure it will be fine,” Tara said. “Take it from a girl who knows- long-distance relationships can be tough, but if you really care about someone, a few thousand miles separating you is nothing.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Buffy agreed, nodding. “Thank you, Tara. It’s been a pleasure to meet you.”

“You, too,” Tara replied, smiling. “I hope you have a good time while you’re in London. I know I will.”

“I’m going to think positively,” Buffy said, taking a deep breath as she buckled her seatbelt, noticing an overhead light flashing to signal it was time to stay seated as the flight prepared to land.

“Sometimes being optimistic is the best thing you can do,” Tara said before looking out the window at the ocean below them and land in the distance.

The two women sat in silence as the plane landed, giving each other a small hug before grabbing their carry-on bags and walking through the small hallway that led them inside of the airport. Buffy watched as Tara walked towards a redheaded woman, holding a small sign with a grin on her face. Buffy smiled softly as the two women embraced before looking around for a moment and spotting Spike, sitting down and holding a red rose in one of his hands. It was as he felt someone watching him that he raised his eyes and saw Buffy, a smile spreading across his face as he stood up and walked to her.

“Hi,” she said, hoping she didn’t sound as nervous as she felt.

“Hi,” he replied, studying her.

She looks even more beautiful than I remember, he thought.

“How was the flight?” he asked quietly.

“Long, but it was okay,” she answered, shrugging.

“I bought this for you,” he said, handing her the rose. She gingerly took it from him and smirked.

“Thank you,” she replied, leaning over to kiss his cheek. “It’s perfect.”

“You’re welcome,” he said, hesitating for a moment before wrapping his arms around her, hugging her close to his body.

Buffy relaxed in his embrace, nuzzling her face into his chest and smiling. When they separated, she saw Tara watching them a few feet away and winked at her. Tara gave her a small wave before she walked away with her girlfriend.

“Ready to go get your luggage?” Spike asked, his eyes darkening as he looked past Buffy and saw a familiar woman, hugging a brunette man.

Buffy followed his gaze and raised an eyebrow as she saw Xander in the arms of a dark-haired woman, surprised when she realized that she didn’t feel even a tinge of jealousy. Buffy looked at Spike again and saw the weird expression on his face before worrying that maybe something was wrong.

“Spike?” she asked, nudging him slightly. “Is everything okay?”

“Dru,” he whispered, staring at the woman with Xander. When he looked away and saw the confused look on Buffy’s face, he sighed. “We dated before I moved to Los Angeles. I haven’t seen her since we broke up.”

“Wait, you dated that woman?” Buffy asked, her eyes widening when he nodded. “Oh my god.”

“What?” Spike asked, raising an eyebrow when Buffy paled.

“I kind of… dated the guy she’s standing with right now,” Buffy said, her focus shifting towards Xander.

“What a coincidence,” Spike said quietly, making a face when he watched his ex-girlfriend kiss the other man. “It really is a small world if Drusilla is dating a man you used to be in a relationship with. I wonder how they met in the first place.”

“Spike?” Buffy asked, looking at him with a shocked expression. “What did you say her name is?”

“Drusilla,” he answered. “Drusilla Adams.” Buffy’s jaw dropped as she looked at Xander and the woman. “Why?”

“Because she’s the artist I came here to meet,” she murmured, beginning to feel nauseas.

“Bugger.”