Author's Chapter Notes:
Don't hate me! I needed some characters to be the victims and I needed you to be as saddened about it as the others.
Chapter 2: Desperate Times…

Three Years Later

Buffy was sleeping on her desk again. Homicide almost seemed boring compared to Narcotics. Faith Thomas, Buffy’s partner, finally woke her up to tell her that it was 3:00 in the morning. Buffy groggily got her stuff and headed for home.

Once she got home, she went straight to the bathroom. She looked at the bags under her eyes for quite a while until she notice the mustard stain on her white blouse. How did that get… oh yeah, hotdog, Buffy whined in her head. She hadn’t had any real food since her mother died last year, making Buffy the soul guardian of a hormone-enraged 16 year old girl.

These were the times she wished Sam were around. He was always good with Dawn. Sure he had a lot of personal problems but when he was babysitting her and/or Dawn, you couldn’t want a better brother.

“Oh, you’re home.” Damn said with a yawn.

“What are you doing up?” Buffy asked in surprise to the taller form in the doorway.

“Nature calls.” Dawn pointed to the toilet. Buffy then left to let her do her business.

She went to the small kitchen in their apartment and started looking for something to eat. Oh, I didn’t finish off that yogurt, Buffy’s stomach said to her brain. She grabs the small container, opened it and realized when she last tried to eat that. Not that hungry, her brain said back to her stomach.

The sound of a flush and a door opening caught Buffy’s attention as Dawn walked into the living space and looked at her older sister. “Sorry, didn’t get around to go to the market. All we basically got is plain bread with nothing to put on it.” When it came to Dawn, nothing to put on bread meant there was absolutely nothing, not even ranch dressing.

Buffy went to the cupboard and pulled out the small loaf of bread and pulled two pieces. “I said there’s nothing to put on it though.” Dawn told Buffy not thinking that she heard her.

“I know. But the tummy demands something… anything really. Even your peanut-butter quesidias.” Buffy laughed at her sister’s experimentations with different foods. Dawn gave her an annoyed look, but Buffy was used to it.

She finished her two plain slices of bread and noticed Dawn asleep on the couch… again. Has she ever learned the proper uses of a bed? Buffy thought. She turned off the TV and picked up the blanket on the comfy chair to put over Dawn. After that, Buffy went to her own room and easily fell into a dreamless sleep.

*******************

Jail wasn’t as bad as Spike thought at first. Some guys tried to take a piece of him, but one brawl where he ended up the victor and that was all over. He wasn’t running the place, but he got enough respect to be left alone.

What he liked the most was his cellmate, Clem. A sweet guy who you’d think wouldn’t harm a fly, that is until you get him angry. Spike asked him once what he was in for and Clem completely shutdown, putting up a brick barrier around the subject. He got the hint and talked to Clem about other things.

He was almost enjoying himself there, until 2 months ago. His fiancé, Dru, sent her last letter with her ring. Said she met someone else and didn’t bother to apologize. Soon after that, Angel stopped visiting. The last thing Spike got from the outside world was his bleach. Now he was almost fully brunette again. He couldn’t bear looking in the mirror anymore, he was reminded of the weakling he was before Angel help him out.

Spike and Angel weren’t brothers by blood, but they were both orphans in the same joint. Angel was a lifer, the only way he was getting out, was his 18th birthday. He was the son of a crack whore who left if on in the waiting room of some hospital. From birth, Angel was addicted to meth but after time he got over that.

Spike on the other hand was 5 when his mother died in a car accident. He was born in London, but through his father, he had American citizenship so he continued to live in the states.

At first, Angel teased William about his poetry endlessly. But they grew a bond when some kids started fighting with little William. Angel took him under his wing, taught him to fight, to act tough, and to stay calm in difficult events.

When Angel left when he was 18, William ran away to join him.

Now Spike was abandoned by the man who taught him everything, who gave him everything. He told Clem of all his frustrations and he was sympathetic.

Spike wondered what would’ve happened to make everyone he loved on the outside turn on him. One thought came to mind, but that was ridiculous. But a voice in his head was always bringing it up; she’s sleeping with Angel. No, that can’t be, Spike reasoned. He must’ve done something. No matter how many times the voice would tell him about Dru’s probable affair with his brother, he would continue to blame himself. Spike was always one for self-punishment.

Clem would try to take his mind off the subject of Dru and Angel by bring up discussions about Knight Rider, Passions, or other television programs that they liked. Spike was glad that Clem was doing his best to comfort him. With Clem, this place could be at least a little bearable, but it started to get worse and worse over time…

*******************

Wesley called Buffy into his office. These were the times she really missed Giles. Wesley was all about duty and by the book, the kind of captain that would get on your nerves.

“What’s up cap’n?” Buffy said in mock cheer as she entered his office.

Wesley scoffed her total lack of respect for her superior. “It’s to do with The Gentleman case.”

“Oh?” She said as she set herself down in the seat in front of his desk. “Is that the guy who kills women after they leave galleries and cocktail parties and the such?”

“Yes… it is.” Wesley answered. “We got the toxicology report back and thought you might find it interesting.” He handed her the file.

“Oh? Why?” She asked curiously as she skimmed the pages.

“The chemicals in their system seem to match up with the chemicals someone you know uses.”

She looked at the list of toxins found in the bodies of the murdered women. They definitely striked a bell, a very loud bell. “No. I put this guy away three years ago.” She said as she handed the file back, “It can’t be him.”

“I wasn’t saying that it was. But he might know who would be getting his hands on the drugs.” Wesley was also telling Buffy something else. Something that really pissed her off…

“I am not going to see Spike!” She yelled as she stood up, looking down at her boss as he took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“I wasn’t asking Buffy.” He put his glasses back on and looked up at the petite blond, “But it’s the only connection we have to the killer.”

He was working on her conscious. She hated that. Giles would sweet-talk her to do curtain cases, but Wesley guilted her into working the case. “Alright. I’ll talk to him. But don’t get angry at me if I give him a good punch or two. Just a warning. He’s the reason I was transferred here from Narcotics.”

“Yes, I remember reading that in your report when you got here.” He said with a smile of satisfaction. “I’ve already set up a meeting for you with him in 2 hours.”

“What?!” she screamed in disbelief. “You were going to make me go no matter what, were you?”

“I am your boss that last time I looked.” Wesley handed her back the file. “Send William my regards.”

She snatched the file and left his office in a huff. But before leaving, “I do this and I’m done with this case, right?” He nodded and she slammed the door as she left.

Wesley smiled at her display. He was pleased with himself too. He put his feet on his desk and leaned back in his chair, but he leaned too much and fell to the ground. Oi, thank God no one saw that, Wesley sighed in relief until he saw Faith giggling in the window. He gave her an annoyed look and she went back to her desk. Why did I pair off the two most irritating officers I have together? he asked himself.

*******************

Buffy waiting in meeting room. She came early so that she could brush up on her Snow drug family history. Spike got his nickname from creating the strongest homemade drugs in the city. Angel was given his name because he was first taken in by some nuns who couldn’t resist his cuteness.

Buffy’s seen pictures of Angel, not so bad looking, but after three years he gained weight and muscle and lost his neck. The guy was now a hulk, and Buffy never though guys without necks were all that attractive.

For some reason, she started thinking about what her love life was like. That didn’t take long cause she never had a steady boyfriend. In high school, she was the quiet girl taking her Judo lessons without anyone’s noticing. In the academy, she flirted and had one-nightstands with some guys when she was drunk enough to say “yes”. In Narcotics, she was completely married to her work. And now, she was hoping that she would’ve met a guy now and settled down, but her mother’s death and the raising of Dawn squashed her dreams of a relationship with any guy.

The door finally opened to revile Lindsey McDonald and William snow wearing his gray jump suit. Lindsay must’ve forgotten to tell Spike who was going to talk to him ‘cause he was in utter shock at the sight of her and tried to keep and defensive distance. It almost made Buffy laughed to see him squirm, but she was here on business and the sooner Spike was out of her life again, the better.

Lindsey took a seat between Spike and Buffy, “You said that you’ve got something to offer us?”

“Yes, I have.” She directed to Lindsey and then straight to Spike. “Have you heard of The Gentleman killer?”

“Yeah, word gets around in the jailhouse. The fellas in here always like a good laugh.” He was purposely trying to provoke her, but Buffy was ordered to take Anger Management courses when she was transferred to Homicide, so his banter didn’t affect her at all.

“Well, that’s sweet.” She said, proud that she kept her cool instead of leaping at his throat. Why did I think this was going to be difficult? she thought. “But we at found a connection from the killer… to you.”

Spike raised his scarred eyebrow. She remembers that scar, she gave it to him the that interrogation room. The fact it was still there to remind him every time he looked in the mirror created the beginnings of a smile. “Well, since I have a pretty air-tight alibi, you can surely right me off as a suspect. And what’s a Narc doing with a murder case anyway?”

“Not in narcotics anymore, I’ve been in homicide for the past three years.”

“I was your last bust, eh? Got the revenge you wanted since I was put away?” He knew she must’ve worked out most of her anger, but bringing up her brother was going to make her flinch.

It worked. But Buffy stayed on the ball, “Is there anyone you know who could have used the same chemicals you did to make you’re drugs?”

“They were all household items, plus some stuff stolen from labs. I guessing any bloke could have made his own if he had the brains for it.” Spike shrugged while giving himself an ego boost.

She scoffed. Spike, with brains? That’s a laugh. “They found the exact same toxins in the exact amount of the drugs you made, care to comment?”

“Got no idea.” Spike shrugged again, “I’ve been outta the game for a while. Lost contacts with some people.” A hit of pain came out as he said this, but Buffy didn’t catch it, she hated this man too much to worry about his pain. “Maybe you should try Angel. He’d know. So if that all…” He started to get up out of his chair but froze when Buffy repeated his movements.

“We’re not done.” She raised her voice in anger. Spike sat back down at her words. Lindsey started wondered why the hell he was there, then his mind drifted to other cases he was trying to work on. No one noticed the cowboy lawyer. “I understand that you had assistants working for you, making the drugs. Care to give me a few names?”

Finally, Lindsey was included when Spike nudged his shoulder. “What? Huh?” Both Buffy and Spike looked at him with distain. How the hell did this guy pass the BAR? they both thought. Buffy repeated herself, “Before names are given, we need to see what’s on the table.” He said as though he was doing his job the whole time. Spike rolled his eyes, and Buffy soon did the same.

“We’re willing to knock off 2 years off his sentence if he gives the names.” Buffy hated the idea, but repeated exactly what Wesley had said to her before she left.

The Lawyer and the Blond whispered to each other for about two minutes. During this time, Buffy found that her finger nails were quite fascinating.

“5 Years.” Lindsey finally said catching Buffy’s attention.

“No way. 2 or no deal.” With that, Spike stood up and Lindsey soon followed him as they started to leave. “Wait!” Buffy exhales deeply as she considered their request. “I’ll take it to my superior and see what he says.”

Spike then gave her a smirk that made Buffy’s skin crawl. He knew she’d cave. “Right then. Same time tomorrow?” He asked as if he was asking her out on a date. Buffy’s stomach started to turn at his tone.

“Whatever.” They left her alone to clean up the files she had spreaded out when she was waiting for the two to show up. When she knew she was alone she uttered, “I’m going to kill that son of a bitch. I don’t care what it takes.”

*******************

She entered the offices to find her partner being comforted by the department’s psychiatrist. Wesley was nearby, watching Faith with caring eyes. Buffy made her way to him and asked what was going on.

Wesley pointed his head to his office so that he could tell her in private. He lead the way not looking at Buffy until she closed his office door. “Do you remember Tara? Faith’s cousin?”

“Yeah, they were practically sisters. Attached at the hip. Why?”

Wesley had trouble getting the word to come out of his mouth. But after a while he found out how to tell her that, “We found her body. She’s dead.”

This was utter shock to Buffy. Tara was nothing like Faith, she was modest, innocent, sweet, and caring. How could someone so rare in the world just be dead? “H-how?” Buffy stuttered.

“The Gentleman.” Wesley said trying to hold back his own tears. Everybody close to Faith knew Tara, Wesley thought of her almost as family as well as everyone who worked there, though he never would admit that out loud. “She was murdered.”

Buffy knees all of a sudden gave. The last time she felt like this was when the doctors told her, her mother, and Dawn that Sam was brain-dead and would never come out of the coma.

Wesley caught her before she completely fell to the ground and lead to the chair in front of his desk. He quickly went to the cooler in the corner and got Buffy some water. She drank it down in one gulp, coughing afterwards. Wesley again went and got her more water. This time she just stared at the clear liquid.

She tried to bury the pain in the pit of her stomach. That wasn’t a wise thing since the last time she did that, it exploded back at her when she attacked Spike. She knew this, but needed to do her job. She wasn’t getting paid for mopping. “Spike… he says he’ll tell if we take off 5 instead of 2.”

Wesley was shocked that she was changing the subject. Well, she wasn’t changing the subject really. “We need those names. We can give him the 5 years.” He said without giving it a second thought. He should actually talk to the DA about it, but these were desperate times…

AN: I thought is was kinda funny to have Lindsey be an idiot attorney.
I'm sad to say that the next chapter most likely won't be posted until after New Years. I'm moving soon and won't have internet access for a while.
Hope you enjoied this chapter and REVIEW!!!