Chapter 16: Hells Bells (Part 2)


She froze. Just freaking great… “ Look I don’t have time for this.” She tried to manoeuvre her way past him but he only blocked her. She felt slight panic rise in her chest as the back of the well pressed up against the bare portion of her back.

He brushed a stray hair away from her face pleased when she shivered, more out of disgust and loathing, but he didn’t seem to notice, or care.” Aww, you used to have all the time in the world for me Buff.”

She glared at him. “ That’s before you started whoring yourself and cheated on me.” She said menacingly.

He smirked. “ That hurt. Should probably kiss and make up.”

As he she started to walk away he pushed her more forcefully against the wall.

Getting in a position to her advantage she elbowed him in the ribs and kicked him in the groin. “ Not on your life.” With that she ran in a direction she didn’t remember coming from. Damn it, why’d they have to make such a tiny looking church into a maze?!

She finally made it into the small courtyard in the back. Walking along the cobblestone path she let out a relieved breathe as the warm sun washed over her skin. Perfect day for a wedding. She smiled leaning in closer to smell a white rose that was growing in a little neatly kept bush. God, today had been perfect and she refused to let that ass hole ruin it for her.

Making her way slowly inside she grinned when she finally found the Brides dressing room. She could tell by the giggles that were coming from inside. Stepping in she noticed most of the girls had a glass of champagne in their hands. She couldn’t help but frown. Everyone was accounted for except… “ Where’s Emma?”

They looked around the room and one of them giggled. “ I thought she was here.” Buffy could tell that most of them were a little more then tipsy.

“ I think I saw her heading for the washrooms a while ago. I would have followed but I’m keeping this bunch under control.” Ah, the ever reliable Ellen. She smiled.

Making her way towards the bathroom she was about the pass it by mistake due to the damned labyrinth from hell when she heard a quiet sniffle.

Lightly knocking on the door she spoke gently. “ Emma, are you in there?”

She heard another quiet sob followed by a muffled ‘yes’.

“ Sweetie, can I come in?” No response, she took that in her favour.

Walking in she saw the bride to be sitting in a corner by an open window wearing her beautiful white gown. Every hair on her head was pinned perfectly in place, the unsettling thing however was that even with her appearance perfect this bride didn’t look happy at all with the running mascara and fat tears drifting slowly down her face.

Grabbing the tissue Emma blew her nose and wiped away the tears. “ It’s all my fault, everything! We shouldn’t even be here…”

Buffy quietly closed the door behind her and clicked the lock, as she made her way to Emma she eyed the open window uneasily. It looked like an escape route. “ What do you mean here?” She asked softly.

“ I mean here!” She gestured wildly around her. “ In this dress,” She fingered the fine material. “ with this perfect hair, in this beautiful church with a gorgeous courtyard!” She paused for a moment to wipe at her eyes again. “ This shouldn’t be happening, and its all my fault.”

The blonde sat down next to the hysterical girl and looked at her intently. “ How is any of this anyone’s fault?”

“ Because! I don’t deserve all of this! He doesn’t even want to marry me, I…I…made him do it!” Buffy stared at her for a moment, not sure what she was hearing, or if what Emma had just said was some misunderstanding.

“ I know I’m asking a lot of questions and its annoying, but I’m a little confused.”

Emma flung her arms up in the air, her expression sad and desperate. “ Isn’t it obvious? He doesn’t love me, how could he. Besides, even if he does, the only reason he wants to marry me is because he figured that we’ve been together long enough and he owes it to me.”

Realization started to dawn on her like she had just been doused with a bucket of cold water. “ Emma, Chris loves you, I only wish someone loved me as much as he loves you. You’re like his whole world, his sunrise and sunset. Without you he’d be lost. He wouldn’t ask you to marry him in this church if he didn’t feel everything I just described as sappy and cliché as it may be.”

She looked at the silent dark haired girl beside her. “ Do you love him?”

Emma quickly raised her face so that she was eye level with the blonde. “ Of course I do!”

“ Then you’ll fix your makeup, gather your crazy bridesmaids, march down that isle, get married and have two point five kids!”

Emma leaned over and hugged the small blonde who had just saved the most important day of her life. “ Thank you.” She whispered in her ear smiling.

Grinning she got up from the floor and dusted of her dress. “ I’ve got my own guy to find.” Buffy started to walk out the door when Emma’s voice stopped her.

“ Someone does love you as much as Chris loves me. Spike.”

Buffy smiled and kept walking Emma was right, for once things were going amazingly for her. It didn’t seem like anything could go wrong at this moment in time.

She paused in a hallway on her way to see the groom. There was a ringing coming from her purse. My Cell. She fished it out of the bad and snapped it open. Got to remember to turn it off during the ceremony.

“ Hello?”

“Buffy. I’m so sorry I should have called you before, and it’s all my fault. She’s…” Buffy listened to a panicked Willow on the other end of the line as she practically spit out the whole sentence in one quick breath before she had to take another one.

“ Willow, calm down, what are you talking about?” The frown intensified, something was wrong, maybe it was intuition but she felt that something was seriously wrong.

“ Joyce.”