Chapter 17: Family


Buffy froze. She felt nauseous, like the air had just been knocked out of her. " Joyce? Willow, what’s wrong with my mom?" She took in deep shallow breaths trying to stay in control as everything around her seemed to spin in a slow rhythm.

" Buffy she, she’s sick."

The blonde closed her eyes and felt herself sliding down the wall to the floor. " How sick? What do you mean?"

" I took her to the hospital. They’re keeping her there. She had an x-ray done and there’s something..." A pause. " The doctor is planning on surgery."

Buffy’s eyes shot open. " Surgery? Willow how did this just happen?! I’ve only been gone for a little while!"

She could hear her friend quietly start to sob on the other end. " I...she collapsed while I was over and I panicked, called 911 and they took her to the hospital. She, the doctors, Buffy...she may have a tumor."

" I’ll be there on the next flight."

" Buffy..." She didn’t hear what her friend was going to say because she hung up. Shutting her cell phone she let it drop to the floor and put her face in her hands. Why was this happening? Now. When she was gone and... Oh god. She had been having a good time while her mother had been in the hospital. Possibly in pain, what kind of a daughter was she?

Getting up numbly she started to walk, blindly trying to find Spike. And then the reality of the situation hit her and she picked up her dress so she wouldn’t trip on it and started to run. Stopping she looked at the now offending high heels she was wearing. Taking them off she started to look for Spike again at a faster pace.

***

Spike walked to the groom’s dressing room and started to chuckle at what he saw. Not only was everyone drinking but they were trying to help Chris into his suit and tie while doing so. It was made to look like one very amusing scene. The only person who looked like they hadn’t had anything remotely alcoholic to drink was the groom himself who was looking awfully nervous, even...shaking slightly.

" Hey! Spike! Where have you been man?" David stumbled over to him and handed him and glass of something that everyone seemed to be drinking. " Here, have a drink."

He shook his head, looking around the room for a few seconds before spotting Angel. " Peaches, I need to have a word with you."

Angel gave him a smug look. " Really, Buffy did to, only a few minutes ago actually. Well, wouldn’t say talking was all she did."

Spike clenched his fists and frowned. " Out ‘ere. Now." He walked out the door and took a deep breath. It only took Angel 2 seconds before he was there too.

" So Spike, what did you want to talk about?"

" You know exactly what, you bastard. What you said to Buffy, and what you did to her."

" Oh yeah, that. Can I ask you something? Why do you bother with her anyway? She’s not even that good of a lay. I should know, I cheated right from the start."

That was his breaking point. Spike flew at him, his fist connecting with Angel’s nose. He didn’t even smile at the satisfying crunch and the blood that flowed freely from his nose but instead kept hitting. " Don’t you ever talk about her like that you pillock." He swung again at Angel’s cheek before getting up and kicking him a few times for good measure and watching his cousin moan on the floor in pain. " You don’t deserve to be in her presence much less utter her name."

Walking away, he decided he was mildly satisfied but now he wanted to see his girl. He’d have to apologize to Chris later for leaving the bastard lying there, bloodied on his wedding day.

***

Willow paced the hall trying to keep calm after her talk with Buffy. She knew there was no use trying to call her back and try to talk her out of it anyway because she wouldn’t listen. Besides that, she thought that it may be better if she was here with Joyce.

She made her way to the front desk and looked at the woman for what seemed like the hundredth time. " When will I be able to see her?"

The woman looked at her wryly. She had been around many people like this before, each one trying to persuade her that they had to see a certain person, whether it was a mother, aunt, friend, or some other person. " Look, I can’t help you, the doctor specifically told me that I can’t release any information unless you are a family member.”

The woman behind the desk saw a raw determination in the redhead’s eyes. " Look..." She looked at her name tag. "...Clara, this woman is my best friend’s mother, I have known her since I was in diapers and I have promised this best friend that I would take care of her mother while she was away. I don’t know about you but I am not someone who makes a habit of breaking promises. This woman that I need to see has been more of a mother to me then anyone has been my entire life." Her face took on a more pleading quality. " Please, just tell me where she is."

Clara studied her for a few more seconds before she spoke. " Her name."

Willow let the relief wash over her. " Joyce Summers."

She watched the brunette type in something in the computer before looking up. " She was moved to room 146 on the third floor. Look, I don’t usually do this and I could be fired so if they ask who you are just tell them you’re her daughter."

Willow smiled gratefully. " Thank you."

***

Spike started to walk to the back of the church where he knew there was a small door leading to the courtyard. Somehow he knew they would meet there sooner or later. Walking outside he looked around and sat on a bench beside a bush of white roses.

Beating the crap out of Angel had been satisfying but it made him want to see Buffy and tell her how wonderful she was even more.

Feeling a hand on his back he smiled. He knew she would find him. "Buf..." He trailed off as he turned around and saw who it actually was. " Dru."
___________________________
A/N:Please don't hate me! I have to have some more drama in this fic because truthfully, I've planned mostly everything since I first started writing it and this was just one of those things. Hehe, I think I'm starting to sense my love for clifhangers now ; ). Please review.