Chapter 21: Tears Will Fall

" Are you going to say anything?" Buffy asked nervously as she sat across from her friend in a small café across the street from the hospital.

After she had time to talk to her mom for a little bit and explained her current attire, at least partially, not the gory details of yet another failed relationship. Relationship,ha!. Her and Willow had gone to her house so she could grab some clothes to put on that were more comfortable, and now she was sitting across from her red headed friend after having explained everything and watching as her mouth hung open.

She looked down at her coffee and ran the fingers that were holding it gently against the smooth container as she nervously waited for a response. God she hoped there wasn't a speech coming on about how foolish she had been or something like that, she couldn't take that now. Right now all she needed was comfort girl Willow and to erase the last week or so from her memory. Or pretend it had never happened, that worked to. She'd go back to work after her mom was better and act like normal.

" Oh god I'm so sorry Buff. I wish I had told you that it had been a horrible idea from the start so maybe it could have been prevented but I didn't and now…" The red head frowned looking away.

Buffy grabbed her friends hand shocked at what she had just said. There was no was she was going to let Willow blame this on herself. " Oh god no, Willow this wasn't you fault. I just have a knack for exposing my heart to the male population when I shouldn't." Willow looked up and gave her a small sigh and a nod. " Not to mention my horrible taste in men. I mean seriously, Riley?! With his less then good abilities in bed and Angel with the container worth of gel in his hair. What was I thinking!" They both started to laugh.

Willow nodded taking a sip of her coffee. " You're right, you really do have a crappy taste in men." She giggled watching her friend smile.

She glanced out the window and watched as an absolutely gorgeous guy with bleached hair and a long coat started to walk towards the hospitals main doors. " Check out the hottie!"

Buffy turned to look at the guy Willow was talking about but all she saw was some patients going out for fresh air as well as a parked ambulance and a few doctors and nurses out on a brake.

" What hottie?"

Willow shook her head. " You must have missed him. But damn he was fine."

Buffy laughed at the look on her friends face. " Down girl, you're taken."

Willow gave a sheepish shrug. " I can still look."

***
" How are you feeling mom?" Buffy asked as she walked into the room with Willow.

Joyce Summers rolled her eyes, she wished people would stop treating her like she was going to break at any second, she gave her daughter a smile none the less. " I'm perfectly fine. Just got back from the tests."

" How did they go?" Willow asked sitting down beside her friend.

Buffy watched as her mother started to smooth down the bed covers that she was under. Not a good sign, in fact, it was a horrible sign. Every time she had done that in the past it had been right before she either told bad news. Like right before she told her that her father was leaving them. Or when Riley, (that coward) had broken up with her by phoning her home and passing on the message to her mother. Who the hell did that?! " Mom?" She said quietly.

Joyce looked up at her daughter and stroked her cheek lightly, smiling. " They found something on my brain, they think it's a small tumor." She watched as Buffy's face crumpled and tears shined in her hazel eyes. " Oh honey, don't worry. Everything going to be perfectly fine, I'm going into surgery in a few days so that they can remove it."

" Did they say it was serious," She didn't bother to blink back the tears, just to hold them in place, not letting them fall. " I..I mean its s-safe right? The surgery?"

She motioned for her daughter to give her a hug as she stroked her hair whispering into her hair gently. " Everything's going to be fine sweetie." Buffy let a few tears drop in her loving embrace. " Besides, I'm a tough old bat. I've survived a lot worse, I mean, you remember Hank right?" At that Buffy had to laugh.

She finally let go standing up and quickly wiping away at the few tears trying to hide them for now. " I'm going to the cafeteria to get another drink, do you guys want something?"

She watched as they nodded before excusing herself from the room. She started to think about everything that was happening. God, when had things just gone completely down the crapper? Was it karma coming to bite her in the but? For what though? What had she done that was so monumentally horrible that it wasn't only her being punished for it but her mom too? Joyce didn't deserve this kind of thing happening to her!

Just as she turned the corner she bumped into someone. Somebody male shaped, unless it was a muscular, wide, broad shouldered woman. She rubbed her aching elbow. " I'm sorry, I wasn't.."

" Buffy?!"

She looked up and gave a little smile when she saw who it was. " Hi Colin. Few hours no see." She said taking the offered hand to get up.

" So how's your mom?" He smiled at her before quickly frowning when her eyes misted over with tears and she finally let the floodgates open.

" She…oh god she has a tumor."

Buffy gratefully buried her head in his chest as he enveloped her in a hug rocking her gently. " She has to get surgery in a few days." She said looking up at his face slightly. " I'm scared."

He hugged her closer. " Everything's going to turn out fine, don't you worry."

***
Spike sighed when he finally found the hallway leading to the room he was looking for. Luckily Emma hadn't been too mad at him for calling while she was on her honeymoon. At least it was better then calling during the wedding. He had found out that she had come to Sunnydale because there was something wrong with her mum and since he didn't have her address what better place to look then a hospital? It surprisingly hadn't taken him as long as he would have thought. After asking the lady at the front desk for a 'Summers' he had just gone to the elevators and waited as the other people got off on the other floors. That elevator had been packed. He also got the distinct impression that the lady at the front desk seemed very annoyed at him asking for Summers.

Now all he had to do was ponder exactly how he was going to explain to Buffy that what she had seen wasn't what she had seen. If that made any sense at all. Before he could think about what he was or wasn’t going to say he turned the corner and saw her hugging a guy, more closely then he would have liked.
____________________________________
A/N:Well, as you know the spuffy realm was down for a while so there were no updates seeing as how this is the only site I am currently posting at. So here's the long overdue update. Also, I know it looks bad but trust me when I say Colin is not a bad guy. ;)