Chapter 22: Men Always Know

Spike watched as the other guy rocked Buffy gently in his arms whispering to her as she clung to him as if her life depended on it. He saw red. How dare he hold her like that! He understood how Buffy could still be upset but he didn't want her to do anything she'd regret.

He was just about to storm over there not caring weather he made an ass out of himself when she turned her face and he saw the tears for the first time. She was crying. Something had happened and he hadn't been there to hold her when she needed him. God he hoped she wasn't crying because of him.

Gathering all the courage he had he slowly walked over to the two of them before sopping awkwardly. The realization hit that he had absolutely no idea what he was going to say. " Buffy?"

She tensed immediately when she heard his voice. She pulled away from Colin who looked thoroughly confused and looked at the men she had run away from. " What are you doing here?" She asked, her face void of emotion after the initial shock wore off. " More importantly, how did you find me?"

Colin shifted uncomfortably looking from one to the other. " I have a feeling it'd be better if I left."

Buffy looked at him apologetically before giving him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. " Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Sorry about the whole emotional mess thing."

He smiled giving her one last hug. " Don't worry about it."

Spike watched the other man leave with narrowed eyes. " Who is he?"

Buffy turned back to him wiping away the last remnants of the tears. " You didn't answer my questions."

Spike sighed running his hand through his hair. " I phoned the airlines and Emma told me about your mum so I figured you'd be here, since I don't know where she lives."

" So who is he?" Spike continued persistently.

She crossed her arms protectively in front of herself. " It's not your concern."

Spike took a few steps forward so that he was invading her personal space. " Like hell it is!" The beginning of anger starting in his eyes.

Buffy took a step back narrowing her eyes dangerously as she glared at him." You have no right to be angry with me, or him. You have no claim over me."

His head dropped to look down at the ground before looking back up at her. He was trying not to show how deeply those words had hurt him. " Buffy, I know your hurt..."

She cast her eyes away from his. Not able to look at him, because she was afraid that if she did, all would be lost. That instead of being mad and remembering what he had done, what she had seen she would simply give in to his explanation. His excuse. And god did she want to. She wanted to just give in and let him wrap his arms around her, let him kiss her into oblivion with his impossibly soft lips.

But she couldn't do that. Because even though her heart was hopelessly lost to him her mind wasn't going to let it get hurt again. So instead of exposing herself foolishly again, she was going to remember the gut twisting pain that she had felt upon seeing his lips connect with another girls.

" And whose fault is that?" She said quietly not looking at him.

" What you think you saw," He didn't get to finish.

Buffy's eyes flashed angrily once again. " Let me guess. It isn't what I think I saw?!" She spat. " Oh! Better yet! Her lips just happened to fall on yours? Or was it that she tricked you?"

He shook his head, determined to win her back, somehow. " I didn't know she was going to do that, luv please. I swear if I had known..." He trailed off watching her for any sign that she was willing let herself believe him, or weather her heart had, had enough.

She looked back up at him with pain in her eyes, anger all but forgotten. " Men always know when a girl is going to kiss them." She said sadly.

" Luv," He tried to cup her cheek but she turned away.

" Please go." She watched as tears pooled in his eyes before he nodded dejectedly.

She watched him disappear behind the corner before turning around and walking to Joyce’s room again. This time she could swear she felt her heart literally shatter, and she knew she was being irrational. Not listening to his full explanation before answering, not going for the whole ‘everyone should have a second chance’ philosophy. But the truth was she wasn’t ready to. Right not she wasn’t ready to be rational or willing to listen, right now she had a sick mother to tend to and a best friend who cared for her like a sister, who rarely saw her break down. So right now, at this very moment, she didn’t have the option of being rational.

She saw Willow walking towards her with a strange look on her face. “ What were you doing talking to the hot guy I saw in the café?”

He eyes widened. Great. “ Will, that was Spike.”

Willow hugged her best friend. “ Oh sweetie, I’m sorry. I’m guessing it didn’t go so well?” Buffy shook her head lightly on Willows shoulder. “ I still can’t believe that jerk had the nerve to come here after that.”

Buffy pulled away quietly. “ Yeah. He tried to tell me it wasn’t his fault. That he didn’t know she was going to do that.”

“ Did you believe him?”

She looked away at the ground. “ No.” He voice sounded a lot weaker and unconvinced then she had wanted.

Maybe tomorrow she would be just a little more convinced of what she was trying to believe so hard. Because somewhere deep down she was having a hard time believing that he would do that.
______________________________________________________