Chapter 23: Closure


Buffy sat in her new office, impatiently tapping her pen against the side of her desk. Surprisingly enough a day or so after she had gotten back to work she had gotten a promotion from her floor manager. At first she had been angry thinking it had been Spike who had made her get that promotion. When she had asked her boss she had looked at her strangely and said that she wasn’t blind and noticed that Harmony was hanging around so idly around the office and leaving early that there was no way she would have gotten all that work done. She had ended up asking around the office and found out that way that Buffy had done all that extra work. Harmony had been fired.

So here she was, turned out that with the new position came a new office, with a considerably better view and better hours. This meant that now she would be able to leave to see Joyce whenever she needed to. She was out of the hospital now.

Her current frustration was the knocking on the door from what was inevitably another delivery guy. Jeez, she had a job to do, she couldn’t be answering her office door every thirty minutes to receive flowers only to have to find a place for them.

Getting up she opened the door, grabbed the flowers and closed it rudely in the guys face. At this point she didn’t care, she was losing patience fast. She looked around and sighed. First he had started sending flowers to her home. Different arrangements, roses, lilies, daisies. You name it she had it. Her house was full of them. So once she had called Anya and told her to pass on that she didn’t want any flowers at her home they had stopped. Only to start coming to her office. She figured they would stop, and she was wrong again. Looking down at the white orchids she was currently holding she frowned and placed them by the window sighing.

Maybe she had been a little quick to judge what had happened, but who could blame her when Angel had dumped her in the exactly same way. Given that Spike hadn’t had sex with the raven haired girl, but still. She sat down picked up her phone and dialled one waiting for the answer.

“ Hello, William Pryce’s secretary speaking.”

“ Anya, could you tell him to just stop sending the flowers! I’m running out of room and no amount of flowers is going to work.”

Anya sighed, she did not like being in the middle of this little battle, or whatever the hell it was. “ I’ll be sure to pass it on…again. But don’t you think you’re being just a little to damn stubborn?” Anya asked in her usual blunt way.

She rubbed her temples irately. “ Anya, as much as I appreciate you concern for my love life, I don’t feel to urge to start anything right now.”

“ Technically it wouldn’t be starting another relationship because you didn’t properly end this one. Which by the way, I’m not suggesting you end. He’s rich, completely like your male opposite, and is sure to give great orgasms if he hasn’t already.”

She blushed rolling her eyes. “ Thanks Anya but I think I can make my own decisions.”

“ Well I still don’t think he did as much as you seem to think he did.”

“ Right. Well I have to go now Anya. I’ll talk to you sometime.” She quickly hung up the phone. Maybe Anya was right.

She quickly shook her head and exited her office. She wasn’t ready for anything right now but Anya was right about some of the things she had said. She needed closure. Making her way to the elevator she punched in the top floor and waited patiently. Getting out she made her way past Anya’s currently vacant desk and walked straight into his office without so much as knocking.

“ Spike we need to talk.”

He stood up immediately. He hadn’t seen her in person in a while and she looked more beautiful then ever. “ Buffy I…”

“ Look, things seem to have ended badly, if they even ended properly at all and I don’t like it like that, and you can stop sending the flowers, people are starting to think something is going on. Which by the way, they are incredible idiots not noticing that we left and came back at the same time and I started to receive flowers. Anyway, I think we both need closure.”

He was about to interrupt her rambling but stopped dead. Closure? He bloody well didn’t need, nor want, closure. What he needed was to somehow convince this tiny blonde woman, that currently held his heard in her hands, that he loved her more then life itself.

“ Pet, I don’t need closure.” She gave him a strange look and he approached her until he was standing in front of her. He gently held onto her hand with his. “ What I need is for you to understand that I am not going to let you go. No matter how much you fight it. What happened at the wedding was out of my control and I will apologize for what she did but I don’t love her, I love you.”

She looked down at their entwined hands. “ I know. But I’m not ready for anything more to happen between us.”

She tilted her head upwards pressing her mouth against his soundly. Letting things go a little further she opened her mouth inviting his tongue to mingle with hers. Brining her hands torun through the hair at the nape of is neck.

Finally breaking away slowly she gave him one last peck on the lips. “ Goodbye.”

He watched as she left his office, completely stunned. What in sodding hell had just happened?

“ Bloody hell.”

***
Buffy walked into her managers office, not feeling any of the closure she thought she would feel after that. Then again she had never felt closure before, maybe it wasn’t supposed to feel like anything.

“ Buffy, have a seat.”

Taking a seat she turned her gaze to her boss. She had called her into the office as soon as she had gotten back to her own office, and Buffy had absolutely no idea what it was about.

“ You’ve worked here for a long period of time, am I correct?”

Buffy nodded. Oh god, this didn’t sound good, did she know something?

“ And you haven’t taken any vacations and minimal personal absences, right?”

She nodded again. “ Yes, that’s right. What is this about?”

“ It has come to my attention recently, after your promotion actually, that you need, or rather deserve, a vacation. You’ve been a great employee and you seem tired lately. Perhaps it’s time you took some time for yourself.”

She stared at her boss for a few moments contemplating this. Maybe she was right. It was time for a vacation.
___________________________________