Author's Chapter Notes:
*Previously posted in entirety at BSC a couple years ago. Posting it here before posting my new stories :-)*
*All human AU,*
Chapter 1: Taking the Field

Buffy lifted herself off of the sticky vinyl seat and hopped down from the stuffy moving truck that had been her prison for the last few hours. Her gaze moved from her crumpled skirt towards the modest two-story home in front of her.

“Home sweet home,” she mumbled to herself while wrinkling her nose and forcing her sunglasses up until they perched on top of her head.

“So what do you think honey,” Buffy’s mother placed a reassuring hand on her daughter’s shoulder.

“No, it’s great,” it came out quicker then she had anticipated.

“No? It’s great? Not what I was hoping for but I’ll take it.” Joyce almost laughed the words as she kissed Buffy’s forehead. “Now go on, you haven’t seen your brother’s for…” Joyce was cut off as Buffy sprinted for the house. “But then I expect you to unpack young lady!” The request went unnoticed.

Buffy burst through the front door and had only a moment to appreciate the warm feel of her new home before she was scooped up into welcoming arms.

“How’s my faaaavorite sister today!” Xander held her tightly as he accentuated the greeting. “I think you grew while I was away, yep definitely bigger Buffy.”

“I’m your only sister DOOFUS, now put me DOWN and do I need to have that talk with you again about things to not say to girls?” She slapped her twin playfully, but threw her arms around his neck all the same.

“Looks like princess has finally entered her castle.” Buffy’s eyes lit up at the sound of her older brother’s voice.

“Angel!” Buffy almost leapt out of Xander’s arms.

“Cool it Buff, the Xand-man might be deceivingly strong and masculine, but OWE.” Xander whined the last part as he handed her over to Angel’s waiting arms.

“Hey Buffy, missed you.” Buffy snuggled into his chest as he kissed on top her head.

“I missed you both so much!” She pulled both her brothers in for a hug before releasing them. “How has practice been?” The sideways smile and arched eyebrow didn’t go unnoticed by either brother.

“You know Buff-ster same ole’ thing, me kicking some serious butt,” a goofy smiled played on his lips as he karate chopped the air for emphasis.

“He’ll be lucky if I even play him this year.” This time it was Angel’s turn to smile.

Veeeeery funny… you ARE joking right, cause I’ve been KILLING myself the last couple weeks with the running, and the suppressing the urge to vomit.” The worried look on Xander’s face made both of his siblings laugh simultaneously.

“Speaking of it, how are you liking being assistant coach?” She choked the question out through her waning laughter.

“I miss hitting the field myself, but I don’t mind showing little boys like this a thing or two.” Angel grabbed his younger brother’s arm as it half-heartedly swung through the air towards his much larger frame.

“You know you MIGHT have a lot going for you, like good looks, a seemingly effortless charm AND you’re a pretty snazzy dresser but I have what the ladies call personality…” Angel tightened his grip before Xander continued, “and what I like to call a broken wrist, MERCY!” Xander rubbed his wrist thoughtfully as he sent daggers towards Angel.

“You two have way to much testosterone, and for the record you should really give up the ‘I’m better then you are’ manly man stuff cause we all know I could take you both!” With that Buffy shot out the door to help her mother with the tower of boxes that was growing next to the truck.

~~

‘What would I do without them?’ Buffy asked herself as the last of her boxes were placed gently on her new floor by her brothers.

“Buffy, princess of Buffonia, the last of your belongings my-lady.” Xander blew her a kiss as he and Angel left her room to get some much needed water.

Her brother’s had moved in almost three weeks ago in order to start summer training for soccer. They had taken all of their belongings and the majority of the furniture and family stuff with them and had already put it in place when she and Joyce had arrived that afternoon. Buffy had spent the last days of her summer break with her friends back in LA and now she was here, in a new house, waiting but not ready to start school at Sunnydale High.

Buffy and her twin Xander (older by four minutes and don’t think he didn’t bring that up whenever he had the chance) were both seniors this year and considering he was pulled out of Hemery High’s top ranking soccer team to move to little known Sunnydale he was taking the move quiet well, better then her even. Her oldest brother Angel had graduated two years ago and had been picked up by a semi-pro team in LA. Angel loved soccer and had dreamt of a career in nothing else until he was injured nearly six months ago. She was glad Angel had taken the assistant coaching position, she hadn’t seen him much during the time he was playing and he had been in and out of the hospital and in a bad depression during the past few months. Things were looking up now though, they were together again and she couldn’t have been happier.

“Dinner time squirt.” Angel popped his head into her room and was gone again.

“Coming!” it came as a whisper as tears stung her eyes. The tears threatened to spill out but she steadied herself before taking to the stairs, there was no need to cry after all, she hadn’t been happier in years.

~~

“SO what are we gonna have to do to get you to be our team slave again Buff?” Xander braced himself for the blow that never came, instead Angel chimed in.

“Yeah Buffy, it’s been so long, I miss having you hanging around, getting in my way.” This time the blow landed directly on Angel’s shoulder, he winced mockingly.

Before Buffy could verbally protest Joyce cut in and Buffy began preparing for her defeat.

“Sweetheart that is a wonderful idea, even if your brothers aren’t the most eloquent persuaders, you were so happy when you use to help manage and aide your brothers’ team.” Joyce sent a quick glare towards her sons before settling her gaze on Buffy expectantly.

“I don’t know mom, it’s different here I don’t even know if they appoint student trainers for the soccer team and…” Buffy was cut off suddenly.

“Hey COACH here, of course I can make you a student trainer, but if you ask me slave is more accurate.” Angel laughed out the last words.

“Assistant Coach! And maybe I don’t want to be at the beck-and-call of 20 high school boys,” as the words poured over her lips Buffy was already questioning them. ‘Maybe I do?’

“Buffy I know moving here wasn’t your dream come true but we are all making an effort and I expect you to do the same, things were better when you used to get involved in after school activities and I can’t think of a time when you were happier then when you were helping out with the soccer team.” Every word dripped with pressure and guilt, Buffy had lost this battle before it even begun.

“Ok Mom, I’ll give it a shot, after all I did do all that first aide training and I’m still qualified.” She mumbled her surrender.

“GREAT, I’ll let Coach Rayne know you’ll be gracing us with your presence at practices and games,” Angel was more excited to have his little sister around then he let on, “Oh, and Buffy, head over to the training room right after class tomorrow, after the last few weeks of daily doubles the boys are barely standing, they’ll be plenty of ankles to tape and shoulders to ice,” he ordered in a condescending tone, only to mentally chastise himself, ‘Do I really want her around them, damn-it.’

~~

As Buffy lay in bed that night she found it impossible to sleep, her mind racing in a million directions. She worried about making new friends and senior classes, her mind darting over the decision she had made earlier that night.

‘At least I have the team, that is definitely a good'. She smiled as she thought of her brothers and how much they had done for her in the past few years since her father had left. Angel had immediately become more protective while Xander and her became even closer, if that was even possible. They were both her big brothers though and in that they were both her protectors and best friends, she needed no one else if it came down to that, she knew from experience. At that thought Buffy fell into a deep and peaceful sleep.

~

A/N: This fic was posted in the full at BSC and now I will be posting it here at TSR one chapter at a time on a regular schedule. I hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think!


Chapter End Notes:
most wonderful banner ever made by the lovely midnite_holic! thanks love!