The final bell rang and students seemed to pour out of the cracks of Sunnydale High. Monday was finally over, and many of them had a fresh load of work to do for the upcoming week. Buffy grabbed the books she needed and hurried to find her other sophomore friends. She walked out of the door to find all of them gathered around the giant water fountain in the schoolyard.

“Hey Sweetie,” Angel greeted as he pulled her close for a kiss. Before she got close enough, Buffy saw Spike out of the corner of her eye. The look upon his face literally tore her heart to pieces. He looked so dissapointed that she was with him.

She pulled back from Angel’s kiss as quickly as possible to try and erase the look on Spike’s face. Xander saw the look and tried to start a new subject. Buffy looked across the faces of her friends. She could tell which ones knew about Spike from the way of their eyes. She counted up the ones who knew.

Willow and Xander were definates. Riley and Anya had suspecting looks. Was it that obvious to everyone? Just how blind was she? Buffy’s gaze went everywhere but to Spike’s. A few silent moments passed as she watched the sun reflect off of Willow’s fiery red hair.

“So who is going to the Bronze tonight?” Angel asked, oblivious to the surrounding tension. Riley answered him. “We’ve got class tonight. Aren’t you coming?” Spike’s eyes darted to Buffy as hers went from Spike to Angel and back.

“Nope. I have to babysit my little brother Connor while Mom’s at work.” Buffy let out a sigh of relief. She did not want to have to sit through another night of sitting between the two while Angel tried to hold her and guilty pangs shot through Buffy as Spike had to sit and watch.

“I forgot that there were two meetings this week. I planned to miss Wednesday night too.” Buffy glanced at Spike and caught his half smile and piercing blue eyes, and her heart gave a sudden jolt.

“Dad has some kind of thing planned for us,” continued Angel. Xander glanced at Willow hopefully. “Sorry,” she whined. “I know it’s an open class even if you’ve already taken it, and I know you want me to go to spend time together, but we’re going out to eat tonight. It has been a long time since I’ve done anything with my family.” Xander pouted jokingly. “I understand. Well Buff,” he said more energetic, “I guess it’s just me, you, Riley, and Spike tonight.”

Buffy and Spike’s eyes averted around each other’s. Spike’s eyes finally caught Buffy’s as she slowly looked up into his vibrant blue eyes. She saw them sparkle when she looked back at him. For a fraction of a second, she felt the space being filled by his smile, but the feeling was gone before she realized what had happened. Spike looked at Angel and Xander. “I guess it is.”
---------------------------------

Buffy and Willow walked arm in arm down Main Street. They passed the cafés and shops that lined the sides of the road. As they passed the gallery, Buffy waved in the window to Joyce. “How late does your mom work at nights?” asked Willow slyly. “She gets off while I’m at class. Why?” Buffy asked as she caught Willow’s innocent look. “I’m thinking about going all the way with Xander,” she said too quickly.

Buffy stopped dead in her tracks. “Willow, are you sure? I mean, this is a big step. Especially for you!” Willow turned to face Buffy and grabbed her hands. “I know. And I believe that I’m ready. I’ve never loved anyone so much.”

Buffy looked into her friend’s eyes. She saw the passion and love for Xander radiating off of her. She smiled brightly and even felt a little jealous. “You’re right, Will. You two are so happy together. I’ll help in any way possible.”

Willow giggled at Buffy’s response. “Thanks, Buff.” She dropped her gaze as she pondered whether to continue. Just as she decided against it, Buffy caught her on it. “Alright, missy. What gives, huh? There is something else you’re not telling me.”

Willow looked over Buffy’s shoulders as she searched for an explanation. “I am so incredibly happy with Xander. I feel my world brighten when I’m around him. And you know, Buffy, you do the same thing. When you are around him, or even when he just looks at you or when you hear his voice, you glow. I’ve never seen two people more in love. He cares for you so much, Buffy. You guys truly belong together.”

Buffy smiled as a wave of emotions swept over her. Now she knew for sure that she was in the right relationship. She could relax more around Spike knowing that she wasn’t missing out on something.

“Thanks, Will. You don’t know how much that means to me. I think that’s the space that’s been missing. The glow. I just wasn’t sure if I had it, and I’ve had it all along. Now I don’t have to worry if I’m missing out on anything with Spike.”

Willow stopped suddenly and stared at her friend. “Buffy, I was talking about Spike.”

The color drained from Buffy’s face. She found a bench and slowly sat down with Willow’s help. “You’ve got to be mistaken. The glow must be coming from Angel. I don’t love Spike. I have very strong caring feelings for him, but only as that. I can’t love Spike. He’s my best friend.”

Willow frowned and held on to her. “Buffy…” she said carefully. Buffy looked up at Willow. Her mind was reeling. Could that be why her heart seemed to stop every time Spike looked at her? Could it possibly be love instead of just guilt? And why did Willow say she glows around Spike instead of Angel?

Willow sat down beside her and brushed a strand of hair from her face. She placed her fingertips on Buffy’s arm, interrupting her thoughts. “Maybe I am wrong, but think about this. That void that you said you feel, when do you feel it? Ignore the space and think about Angel. You feel the emptiness. Now ignore it again and think of Spike.”

Buffy’s mind flashed a picture of Spike’s sweet half smile with his blue eyes sparkling at Buffy. She saw the love in his eyes and felt the compassion he had for her. A small smile slinked across her face without her realizing it. Willow grinned greatly at her as she observed the color and brightness return to her face.

“Now where is that space?” Buffy turned to Willow and let out a small gasp. She didn’t feel the emptiness at all. It was finally gone, and just from thinking of Spike’s smile. “You’re right,” she said slowly as the smile returned with full force. “I am in love with Spike.”