Author's Chapter Notes:
please review!



Disclaimer: I own nothing, everything belongs to Joss.




Without turning to look at the door, he answered.

Spike: Buffy?

Angel: Buffy.

Spike, to Angel: Did you...

Angel: I told you I haven't talked to her.

Spike: Then how?

He asked as he turned to look at her. She just stood there, looking as beautiful as the last day he saw her, but there was something different about her. She looked so worn down, and she was crying. For him? Why?

Spike: Buffy. How did you...? I mean...What are you doing here?

Buffy: I came to see the man I love.

Spike was shot down. She had come here to see Angel and just happened to be thrown by the sight of him. On the other hand, Angel was very pleased. He saw the look in Spike's eyes when he heard her voice. Now that she was here for him, he was much happier.

Spike: Oh.

Buffy: You see, the last time I saw him was in the middle of an apocalypse. I said a few things I don't think he understood at the time. We left on some awkward terms and I came here to make them better. You see, I came here because...I mean I felt that...I knew that you were back Spike.

Spike just stared at her. How could she have known? Could she really sense that he was back? How could she? And wasn't she here to see Angel? Not him? She said she was here to see the man she...oh!

Buffy: Spike?

He was lost in thought and answered without even thinking.

Spike: Yeah, luv?

He didn't mean to say it, but it was so natural. And just hearing him say that word made her knees shake and her heart skip a beat, which Angel could hear with his vampire hearing. It made him think differently about the situation. So, she was here for Spike, not him. He didn't expect that.

Buffy: I came here to see you.

Spike: But you said you came here to see the...

Buffy walked up to him and placed her hand on his cheek.

Buffy: Man I love.

Angel stood to the side as he watched this scene play out in front of him. He had asked her that exact question when he came to see her in Sunnydale and she lied straight to his face. He was quite upset that she was in fact there to see Spike and not himself.

Spike: Buffy?

Buffy: Didn't I tell you that already?

Spike: Yeah but...

Buffy: But you didn't believe me. I told you the one thing you wanted to hear from me for three years and didn't believe me when I was finally able to tell you.

She was crying now and so was he. Only he was trying to hide it, but she knew. She could tell when she looked into his eyes. He was full of love, terror, and confusion all at once.

Buffy: What's wrong?

Spike: Nothing. Just still trying to let that sink in is all. You're right I didn't believe you. I wanted to, but I couldn't. And part of the reason I told you that you didn't was so you could move on. I was about to die. I knew that. I didn't want you to be stuck on a man that didn't bloody well exists anymore. And the other part of me just didn't believe it. I thought you were just saying it cause I was about to die, so you could make me go down on a happy note or some rubbish like that. I didn't want it to be about that. I wanted you to mean it when you said it to me.

Buffy: And now?

Spike: Well, I'm back. I'm not bloody well about to die, and you just said it again. I guess it's safe to say you mean it.

She smiled at him, as he smiled back. He didn't care that Angel was standing only a few feet away, he let himself cry. And he was internally smirking at the fact that this scene was playing out right in front of the poofter and there wasn't a sodding thing he could do but watch it. She removed her hand from his cheek and placed both arms around his neck. He, in turn, moved his hands to rest on her waist. She leaned in very close to him but they did not kiss. He lowered his head so it could rest on hers. As they talk they do nothing but whisper to each other.

Spike: Say it again.

Buffy: I love you.

Spike: I love you.

All he could do was smile. She saw how happy she had made him with just three little words. She smiled back at him, then leaned her head up so her lips could touch his.

Buffy: I'm gonna kiss you now.

Spike: You better.

Both let out a small giggle before Buffy brought her lips up to meet Spike's. This kiss was completely different then any kiss they had ever shared. It was full of love, from both sides, and seemed to have lasted forever. If Angel wasn't standing right there, it probably would have.

Angel: Uh, uh.

Spike was the one to pull back. He still had a big smile on his face Buffy let out another slight giggle and rested her head on his shoulder.

Spike: Right. Maybe we should take this somewhere more private then, eh luv?

Buffy: I think so.

She smiled at him and then left his embrace for a moment.

Buffy: Angel? When I came looking for Spike, I stopped off at the hotel first. Obviously you've moved out, but...The rest of the gang is already there and we don't really have anywhere else to go, so...?

Angel: It's yours. For as long as you need it.

Buffy: Really? I mean...thank you.

And that's all he got. Spike was ecstatic. He was expecting her to give Angel a small kiss or even a friendly hug, but she did nothing. She said thank you and walked back into his arms.

Buffy: Um, before we go...I was just wondering. Why aren't you a pile of dust?

She was talking to Angel, who was standing in front of the window.

Angel: What? Oh, the windows, right. It's a special glass, the sun doesn't really go through it, so...

Buffy: Oh. Just curious.

Spike was confused. Why didn't she ask why he wasn't a pile of dust instead of Angel? He would have to figure out what that was about later when they had more time to talk. But now he just wanted to get out of there, with her.

Buffy: Let's go, Spike.

Spike: Right.

Buffy headed for the front door of the building when Spike pulled her back.

Spike: Hey, luv. I just got back. Don't quite feel like turning to dust again.

Buffy: What? But you...Oh, right. I'm sure Angel has a sewer system under the building he uses to get in and out. Come on.

They left the new Angel Investigations through the sewer tunnel conveniently located under the building and headed back to the Hyperion. The whole way, Buffy wouldn't let go of Spike's hand. It was as if letting go would mean he would leave her again. Spike wasn't complaining of course. He was just confused as to how she knew he was here.

Spike: Buff?

Buffy: Yeah?

Spike: Did you really know I was here? I mean, how could you know?

Buffy: Spike.

He continues to walk but she stops. And since she still has his hand firmly in her own, he abruptly stops as well.

Spike: What is it?

Buffy: I had a dream.

Spike: A dream? About what?

Buffy: About you. I've had it every night since the day that you died. But not until two nights ago did I finally get through the entire dream. You see, every night I would get a little further but never really finish it.

Spike: I don't understand. Was it a Slayer dream?

Buffy: More like a nightmare.

Spike: Oh.

Buffy: I saw it all. I even saw things I didn't see that day. I saw you in the Hellmouth. I saw you die.

Spike: Buffy.

She had started crying at the mention of his death. If he needed any proof that his death had taken its toll on her, he saw it now. Her face. Her eyes were dark, as if she didn't sleep at all. Apparently the only time she did sleep she was having nightmares anyway. Her mouth. When he first saw her he could tell. When she smiled at him, it was like it was the first time she did since that day. But now, he would make it so that she would smile everyday. As soon as he could get her to stop crying. He took her into his arms and she laid her head on his chest and continued to cry.

Spike: Shh. Don't cry, luv. I'm here. I'm back. I'll never leave you again. Just please, stop crying. I hate to see you cry.

Buffy: Every night I'd see you die. Fall to dust, right in front of my eyes. And there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Spike: It's alright, luv.

Buffy: No it's not. Do you have any idea what happened to you after you..!?

Spike: What are you talking about?

He backed away from their embrace so he could look into her eyes.

Spike: You know what happened to me?

Buffy: Yes.

Spike: Tell me.

Buffy: I will. But not here.

Spike: But...

She placed her index finger over his lips.

Buffy: Let's just get out of this sewer, and I'll tell you everything.

Spike: Alright then.

She sniffles a little, and wipes her eyes.

Spike: Hey. Come’ ere.

He pulls her back into an embrace and holds her there for a long moment. She pulls away from him and looks up into his eyes. She thought she would never be able to loon into those deep blue eyes again. She slowly raises her head up to his and places a gentle kiss on his lips. He pulls her deeper into the kiss, trying to convince her that he's going to stay, and not leave her again.

Buffy: I love you, so much.

Spike: I love you, too. I'll never stop loving you.

Buffy: Promise me that.

Spike: I promise you, Buffy. I will always love you.

Buffy: Good, now let's get out of here.

tbc