Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: None of the character are mine. Though I dearly wish Spike was mine. Unfortunately I can only have him in my dream world. Thank you Joss Whedon for creating these characters!

Note: This is only my first fic, so please be gentle with me! I’d love to get feedback so I can improte my writing skills. I hope everyone enjoys the story.

Thanks to my two beta readers for helping me out writing this story!

Chapter 1: ‘First Impressions’

It was another Thursday night when they walked into ‘Little London’. The new bar had opened two weeks before and it had been popular from the beginning. Of course, due to the lack of good bars in Sunnydale, its success was almost a given. Cordelia, Willow and Buffy sat down at a free table and looked around to see if Xander and Tara were already there.

“Should we wait before we order?” asked Buffy when she didn’t see her other friends. “Maybe they got stuck in traffic? I heard there was a pretty big traffic jam.”

“I’m going to get something to drink,” Cordelia said.

Cordelia walked off towards the bar with Buffy and Willow staring behind her. They noticed how she flirted with the bartender to get his attention.

“Looks like Cordelia is on the hunt again,” Buffy said. Willow looked at the bartender. “Oh, that’s Spike, he owns the place. Works as bartender too, I guess. I hear he’s a real player.”

Xander and Tara came into the pub and walked over to their table.

“Hey guys. What’s up? And where’s Cordelia?” Xander asked. Willow pointed at the bar where Cordy was still flirting shamelessly. Xander rolled his eyes. “She never stops, does she?”

“Hey Buffy, how was your day?” Tara asked.

“Normal,” Buffy replied, staring at the blond bartender herself.

“Just normal?, Seriously Buffster, you need to get out more,” replied Xander in a teasing tone.

Willow and Tara both frowned and gave Buffy an apologetic look. But Buffy didn’t hear Xander; she was lost in blue eyes and felt a pang of jealousy when Cordelia placed both of her elbows on the bar to give Spike a better look of her ample chest.

“If only,” Buffy thought. Even over the noise of the patrons, Buffy could hear Cordelia talking to Spike and she was obviously having a good time.

XXXXX

“So, what does California have that England doesn’t?” Cordelia asked Spike.

Spike tilted his head and curved his lips before answering. “Pretty young California girls like yourself.”

Cordelia grinned at the answer. ‘So, he is the player they say he is,’ she thought to herself.

Spike placed the drink in front of her, giving her lower neck a final view he turned around. Cordelia smiled even wider, grabbed her drink and brought them back to the table.

“So, Cordelia, how’d the flirting go? Maybe you should wear something that reveals more of your cleavage; they’re not rolling out yet.” Xander commented.

“You’re just jealous, Xander. Just because you can’t find yourself someone doesn’t mean I can’t…”

“Knock it off you guys. We came here to have a good time, not to rip each other’s throats out,” Willow interjected. She looked up at Buffy who was still staring at the bar, and saw the dreamy look in her eyes.

“Earth to Buffy” said Willow, her lips curled in a sweet smile. “He is a hottie, isn’t he?” They watched Spike serve a beer to the local librarian, Rupert Giles.

Buffy turned her face to Willow, her cheeks red with embarrassment. “Who’s a hottie?”

Willow laughed. “Buffy, no need to pretend. Best friend here. Remember? I noticed you entered the staring competition that’s been going on ever since the bar opened.” The redhead grabbed her soda and added, “It’s okay, you’d have to be blind to not notice him.”

With that, Buffy’s face was covered in an alarming red-purple color. She was ashamed to have been so obvious. “Well, I was watching just in case Cordy needed help with the drinks,” she offered as an explanation, grateful when she heard Cordelia’s whining to Xander, taking the focus off of herself, if only for the moment.

“Look Xander, I’m single and available and obviously I’m a good catch. Why is it that you’re having a problem with the idea of me getting a man?” Her voice was a little bit cold.

“I don’t have a problem with you getting a boyfriend,” Xander said, but his voice had a small degree of bitterness. “I’m just saying that you’re probably not giving a good impression with your body language like that.”

“Well duh!” she said trying to sound like it was obvious. Turning around to face Tara she said, “Tara, tell me if you think that Spike is hot”.

Tara gave Spike a quick look and said, “Not my type, but he is good looking.” Her eyes moved quickly back to her drink, in obvious discomfort.

“See, Xander - nothing wrong with flirting with a nice guy.” Cordy smiled widely.

XXXXX

On the other side of the room, Spike was having a nice conversation with Rupert Giles, who also happened to be British and was currently living in Sunnydale. He and Spike had become good friends in a short period of time. Mother England was their common link and Spike was sad to admit he missed the normal English language.
“Bloody Americans,” was a frequent phrase for Spike.

Giles on the other hand was happy to take the newcomer under his wing. “I noticed that you are quite a success among the women, William. I couldn’t help but notice the pretty brunette that was talking to you earlier,” Giles said.

Spike’s eyes located Cordelia’s table and saw the beautiful woman chatting with a dorky-looking guy and then a red haired girl who was sitting next to a pretty blonde girl. Spike smiled, he was a master of body language and it wasn’t difficult to figure out they were a couple.

It only took a moment, when he noticed a petite blond who was smiling at the couple. Spike was taken aback. He had seen many beautiful women in his life - hell, he’d had them - but not one of them compared to the one he was looking at now. She was unique, he just knew it. His mind forgot instantly about the brunette who was again staring at him.

=====

Ok, that's the first chapter guys. Please give me feedback so I know what you guys thought of this. First fics are always scary, so please be gentle with me! But feedback will give me inspiration to write on!