Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to my beautiful beta's for reviewing!

This is a last update for at least a few days. I'm moving to a new apartment the upcoming weekend which will be hectic with packing stuff etc. And i don't have internet at the new apartment yet! *eek* I hope you like this update. There's some progress in this chapter. Please tell me what you think, it really inspires me to keep on writing! Thanks!

Chapter 10: First Date


When Buffy woke up on Sunday morning her alarm read 7 AM. Way to early to wake up on a Sunday! But there was an obvious reason why she had awoken so early. Today was her date with Spike. Well, her ‘first’ real date with him anyway. They’d met up at the bar before, but they were going to make day out of it now.

When she’d called him to ask what sort of plan he had, he’d been extremely secretive and told her to wear whatever she felt comfortable in. He’d laughed at her when said she needed to know if she would have to pretty herself up for something special. ‘You are a goddess by just being yourself pet, there is no need for you to go out of the way to get all the other guys attention.’ She’d had blushed profusely at his comment and hadn’t known what to say.

He’d chuckled on the phone, and told her he wished he could have been there to see her blush, since he was sure that’s what she had been doing at the time.

Buffy got up from the bed, knowing she couldn’t get back to sleep anyway, and walked over to her closet. Spike may have said she didn’t have to worry about how she was dressed, she still wanted to look nice!

Opening her drawers, she took out several pieces of clothing and laid them on the bed. After about half an hour it was full of clothes, from skirts, jeans, tank tops and blouses.

“Argh, why couldn’t he just tell me what were going to do. Now I’m never going to get ready,” she murmured to herself.

Just as she was reaching into her closet again for another piece of clothing her phone rang. Wondering if it would be Spike to fill her in on the day, she picked up the phone.

“Buffy here!” she practically beamed into the phone.

“Hi, Buffy. It’s Tara. I just wanted to wish you good luck with your day out. Willow said you might want some support with picking out clothes?” Tara said.

Buffy sighed. “She knows me too well.” She pouted.

“Buffy, I actually called you to give you the heads up that Willow is actually on her way over to you now, to help you out. I tried stopping her, but you know how she is. She even gave me her resolve face,” she said.

Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at that.

“It’s ok, Tara. I could actually use some help. I can’t decide what to wear and I’ve almost completely emptied my closet.” She listened for a moment. “And I think she’s already here, if the constant knocking on my door is any sign. Thanks, Tara, I’ll hang up now to let her in. I’ll talk to you tomorrow!” Buffy said before hanging up.

Opening the door to let her best friend in, she was almost shoved aside by a energetic Willow who pretty much rushed straight into her bedroom.

“Oh, I knew it!” she twirled around to look at Buffy, who was embarassed but was smiling anyway.

“Are you going to help me?” Buffy asked hesitantly seeing the stern look on her friend’s face.

Willow’s face melted into a huge smile and started laughing like mad. “You should have seen the look on your face just now, that was priceless” she hiccuped.

Buffy looked at her with her eyebrow raised. “Fine, be that way. If you’re going to make fun of me, you can just leave.”

Before Buffy could walk out of the room Willow had pulled her into a big hug.

“Don’t be silly, of course I’m going to help you. Now, let’s get this show on the road before Spike ends up standing on your doorstep with you still dressed in your nightgown. Though I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t mind seeing you in that little number” she winked at Buffy.


XXXXX


Spike woke up on Sunday morning with a smile on his face. Today was the day he was going to take his girl out. He’d planned a nice day at the beach with a small picnic. He didn’t want her to eat too much because he had booked a table for two at a lovely little restaurant at the seaside that he had found when he had been cruising around the area in his car.

Getting out of the shower, and after he gotten ready, he did a final check on the picnic basket and then headed out to pick her up.

Getting in the car he put the key in the ignition, but before he turned it, he took a deep breath. He was actually nervous. He felt like a teenage highschool kid who was picking up a girl he fancied for their first date.

Kicking himself for his stupidity of the situation he was putting himself in, he started the car and drove off. He was going to make it a special day, one they both would never forget.


XXXXX


After Willow had picked out an outfit for Buffy, a nice knee high skirt with a white blouse, Buffy had put on her make up and done her hair. She'd kept it light and natural looking. When the doorbell rang she checked her make up for the last time and went to open the door.

Spike was looking like a gift sent from heaven. He was wearing a pair of 'very' nice fitting blue jeans and a blue shirt that really brought out those gorgeous blue eyes. When her gaze traveled up to his face, she saw him staring at her intently.

"Hi," was all she could manage to say.

"Hi, luv. Can I just say right now how absolutely gorgeous you look?" he said with a gentle smile on his face.

She blushed at his comment and looked away smiling.

"Do you want to come in, or do you want to leave right away?" she asked quickly to get out of the awkward situation.

"I'm ready if you are, pet. I've got everything I need in the car."

"Ok. Let me just go grab my purse and we can go," she said, turning around to do just that.

When she got back to the front door Spike was still standing there, waiting patiently for her.

"Ok. I'm all set," she said, giving him a brilliant smile.

Spike took her hand and escorted her to his car.

"So, are you going to tell me where we are going?" Buffy asked him.

"You'll just have to wait and see," he said in a secretive tone.

Buffy gave him a pout for good measure. She couldn't stand it when people were keeping secrets from her. She wanted to keep control of things herself, and not be dependent upon others.

"You can't stand it, can you?" she heard Spike ask, shaking her from her thoughts.

When she looked at him, he was smirking at her. Without even thinking, she swatted his arm and immediately noticed the muscle she encountered. "It's not funny." She had tried to sound serious, but she failed misearbly and she burst into laughter instead.


XXXXX


Spike was enjoying the ride. She was so adorable sitting there, pouting like a little girl.

When she had opened the door, he had been blown away by her beauty. He couldn't have moved if his life had depended on it. Luckily, he'd noticed she was having the same problem, so he had some time to get himself together.

Oh yeah, this was going to be a great day, he thought grinning to himself.


XXXXX


When they pulled into the parking lot near the beach, Buffy's face beamed like a beacon in the night. She turned around to look at Spike and she found that he was grinning back at her.

"I hope you don't mind sand in between your toes," he said, winking.

She opened her door and walked to the edge of the parking lot watching out over the ocean. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes enjoying the tranquil environment.

She felt movement. Spike was standing next to her with a picnic basket and a blanket.

"You ready pet?" he asked indicating the small trail that lead to the beach.

She nodded to him and they walked off.

After Spike had arranged the blanket and the contents of the basket he pulled her down into his lap and nuzzled her face with his nose.

"I've wanted to do that since the moment you opened the door at you house," he whispered.

Buffy looked into his eyes and gave him a soft kiss on his mouth. When she pulled back she saw the surprise on his face. Looking from his eyes to his mouth and back to his eyes, she slowly leaned in for another kiss.

She softly pressed her lips to his, and opened her mouth slightly to run her tongue over his bottom lip. She heard him groan, and he responded by opening his mouth and meeting her tongue with his own.

Buffy had no idea what was coming over her. She normally wouldn’t do something like this, but something about Spike made her act this way. She felt so at ease with him, and not scared at all to kiss him.

When she pulled back she knew her face was flushed.

Spike pressed his forehead to hers as they both tried to get their breathing back to normal.

“I think it’s better if you move over to the other side of the blanket now,” he whispered. “Before I forget all about my manners and have my wicked way with you. And it would be a waste of all this good food,” he said grinning at her.

Buffy giggled at that and moved off of his lap and sat down on the blanket, leaving the food in between them.

They sat in silence for a while, enjoying the food and the gentle sound of the waves hitting the shore.

“So, I guess this is the right time to get to know each other better” Spike said, breaking the silence.

“Hmm, yeah, I suppose you’re right about that. We could take turns asking each other questions?” she asked, popping a grape into her mouth.

“Good idea. We can ask anything. Even if it’s rather embarrassing,” he replied with a wink.


XXXXX


They’de been chatting for almost 3 hours when they decided that taking a walk on the beach would be nice. Spike packed up the gear and they both took off their shoes. He held out his hand for her to take and they strolled off.

They’d gotten to know each other a lot better. How Spike dealt with the loss of his mother. How he was a stuffy geeky student, always with his nose in the books. She’d told him she didn’t believe it for one second that he was ever a geek, but he’d been dead serious and told her he didn’t always look like he did now. Spike had told her about his transition into the man he is now, and why he kept using pet names for people instead of their real names, which turned out was because, when he was little, he used to have trouble remembering people’s names and would disguise that fact with using the pet names, which Buffy thought was quite funnny.

“Are you enjoying yourself so far, pet?” Spike asked, looking at her while they walked hand in hand.

“I am. I’ve always loved the beach. You did a wonderful job with the picnic too.” She squeezed his hand a little.

“Well, it’s not over yet. I’ve booked a table for two at a nice little restaurant not too far from here. We should probably head that way now.” He looked at his watch.

Not even waiting for a reply, since she didn’t have much of a choice anyway, he guided her back up the trail to the parking lot. He gave her a towel to get rid of all the sand in between her toes that he had put the basket back in the car.

“Let’s go, luv. It’s time for a romantic dinner for two.”

=====

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Was it romantic enough? Thanks for reading!