Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to my lovely betas married_n_mich and Jessica. Also BIG thanks to everyone who reviewed. I'm so glad to read people enjoy the story, and it just gives me such a happy smile on my face :)

Chapter 14: Unintended Surprises


Buffy walked into the Sunnydale café for a cup of coffee. She was on her break, and even though she could get coffee at work, she needed to get out of that building. Lilah had been going on and on about work, and all the things Buffy still needed to do. She had almost screamed at Lilah to just shove it up her ass, which was indication enough that she needed to get out of there, soon.

Getting her coffee, she looked for a free table, sat down and then sighed. This was getting ridiculous really. One more day like this and she would run out of that building screaming.

So lost in thought, she didn’t see the man that sat down in front of her. Not until he spoke to her in his familiar British accent.

“Hello, Buffy. You seem to be lost in thought,” Giles asked.

“Hey, Giles. Sorry I didn’t see you there. Shouldn’t you be at the school? It’s the middle of the day.” She was glad to see a friendly face.

“I’m on a break. The kids got sent home because the basement got flooded and the fire department had the building evacuated.”

She giggled to this.

“It’s your lucky day then! In a matter-of-speaking kind of way. That’s more than I can say.” She sighed.

“What’s wrong? Your mom’s ok, isn’t she?” he asked, concern etched on his face.

“No! Mom’s fine. I’m just thinking of changing jobs.”

He smiled at her bad news. “Spike asked you then?”

“Spike asked me what?”

“To work for him at the pub?”

“Giles, what are you talking about?” she asked, getting more confused by the moment.

“I’m sorry, Buffy. I thought he asked you, and you just weren’t sure it was such a good idea.” He sighed heavily. “Spike wants you to work for him at the pub, so he can continue working on his plans for expansion.”

Her jaw just about hit the table. She wasn’t sure she was hearing correctly. Spike wanted her to work for him? He’d talked about it with other people. Involving her in his plans? Not asking her? Did he just assume she would do it?

“Buffy, maybe you should go talk to him. I didn’t mean to tell you, I just assumed you knew since you told me you are thinking of changing jobs.”

She picked up her bag and her coffee. “Thanks Giles, I think I will do that right now.”

XXXXX


Spike was standing behind the bar, ensuring that everything was in order for tonight, when he heard the backdoor opening.

“Were you even going to ask me yourself?” Buffy asked him straight on.

“Buffy? What are you talking about? Are you ok?” He was confused and a bit concerned by her tone.

“I ran into Giles at the coffee shop and he tells me that you have decided that I should work for you so you can plan out your dreams for your little pub. Were you even going to ask me, or did you just assume I would do it? ‘Buffy’ll do it, I finally got to let her go a bit, she won’t mind’. Well guess what Spike, I do mind. No one tells me what to do.”

By the end of her speech she was red in the face from anger and breathing heavily.

Spike walked up to her cautiously, not wanting to upset her more. “Buffy no, I didn’t just assume you would do it. It was Giles’s idea to ask you if you might want the job. I didn’t even want to find someone in the first place because it would take too much time to find the right person. He said he knew someone suitable for the job and gave me your name. I just hadn’t figured out yet how to ask you.”

He saw Buffy’s face change from anger to shame for her outburst.

“Oh…” was all she could come up with.

Spike chuckled at that. “You are one hell of a woman, you know that? It’s good to find out that you’re as headstrong as me. You don’t take it too easily when people decide for you. Come here baby,” he said and opened his arms for her.

She walked into his embrace and buried her head in his chest. He held her there for a few moments before pulling back and giving her a soft kiss on her lips.

“So will you?” he asked.

“Will I what? Oh! That. What would the job entail? And won’t it be awkward if I came to work for you, when we’re in a relationship?” she asked, blushing as she said relationship.

“I don’t think it would be a problem, unless you think you can’t keep your hands off of my tight hot body.” He wiggled his eyebrows which made her giggle.

“And I won’t be around too much once I get to work on the plans for expansion. You will be in full charge of the pub, the administration and hiring of new people. I will still be the one to decide on things in the end. For now at least.” He explained her. “So will you?” he asked again.

She reached up and planted another kiss on his lips. “When do I start?” she asked laughing.

He swirled her around hearing her answer. “As soon as you can, baby.” He told her grinning madly.

“Well, I better get back to work now, before all hell breaks loose. I will see you later,” she said.

And with one last kiss she left him standing in the middle of his pub with a huge smile on his face.


XXXXX


“Willow, are you in here?” Buffy was practically shouting through the Magic Shop.

Willow worked in the Sunnydale Magic Shop as a sales person. At least that had been the job title when she’d applied for it. After having worked there for two 2 years, while going to college and studying business management, and two years full time after college, the owner of the shop had decided to move back to his homeland and left Willow in charge.

“Buffy hi, what are you doing here?” Willow asked her friend as she came out of the backroom.

Not giving Willow a chance to say anything more she ran over to her friend and enveloped her in a tight hug.

“Buffy, help, oxygen becoming an issue,” Willow squeaked out.

“Oh, I’m sorry Will. I’m just so excited! I’ve got a new job!” she squealed.

She looked up at her surprised. “When did that happen? I’m so excited for you!”

Buffy told her what had happened, leaving out the part where she and Spike had argued just a little bit.

“Have you told Lilah yet?” Willow asked.

Buffy wrinkled up her nose by the thought alone. “No, I suppose I better do it officially. Write out my resignation and hand it to her.” Her eyes grew wide. “Come to think of it, I better do it right now. I just had to tell you before I went back to work. I was too excited to go back to the stressful situation there.”

They said their goodbyes, agreeing they’d call each other later that day.

When Buffy got back to her desk, new piles of papers were stacked there to be organised. She heaved a sigh and put the papers on the ground so she’d have some desk space to work on. Deciding it would be better to first write her letter and get it over with; she sat down behind her PC.

Printing her letter 15 minutes later, having re-read it several times, she was about to walk to Lilah’s office when she bumped right into said woman.

“Oh Buffy, it’s good that I see you, I’ve got some extra work for you,” Lilah started talking right away.

“Lilah, I actually wanted to talk to you.” Buffy tried getting in a word or two in but was blatantly unsuccessful because Lilah continued without even noticing Buffy had spoken.

“I put papers on your desk that need immediate attention, as well as some other things that need to be typed out by the end of the week.”

“Lilah…” Buffy tried again.

“Ok, that’s it, now get to work,” Lilah said, turning around to walk away.

“Lilah!” she almost screamed exasperated.

She turned toward Buffy again with a raised eyebrow in question.

Buffy sighed. “I’ve got my letter of resignation here. I’m quitting.”

Lilah took the paper that Buffy presented to her and then looked back up at Buffy with an astounded look on her face.

Buffy felt herself get uncomfortable under Lilah’s stare, feeling the need to say something. “It’s not that I don’t like it here.” She lied. “But I’ve been offered a different job which I couldn’t refuse. I’m sorry. I’ll leave be leaving within a week if that’s possible.”

“It’s fine Buffy, I didn’t expect you to stay here forever. I accept your notice,” she said with a slight smile.

Buffy thanked her, and went back to work.

When she’d finished off her paper work she called Spike to tell him Lilah had accepted her leaving. Buffy would come to the pub later that night to have a drink to celebrate her new job.

She couldn’t wait to see him again.

======

That's it, hope you guys enjoyed that. I'm writing more soon and things will get more and more interesting...