Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow, I must say I was overwelmed by all the reviews I got! I hadn't expected that! I'm glad everyone enjoyed and as a reward I'm updating the fic with another chapter! Though please don't get used to me updating every day! I won't be able to keep up! lol I will try to update a few times a week, but it all depends on if I can write more chapters and if my beta's have time to review the story. Thanks again for reviewing, and please do it again. I love it! :-)

Chapter 2: There’s more than meets the eye


Buffy walked into her apartment, arms full with bags of groceries. She threw her keys on the kitchen table and sat her bags down. She had gone straight to the supermarket after work since she hadn’t had time earlier. It had been one hell of a week. Lilah, her boss, had been constantly on her case with things that still needed to be done.

Buffy worked at a large law firm and was an assistant to Lilah Morgan, the Vice President of Marketing Strategy. It wasn’t a difficult job, but it brought long hours and heavy headaches. When Buffy was still in high school, her mother had been diagnosed with brain cancer. To help pay off all the medical bills, Buffy had decided to get a job after she had graduated from high school. She didn’t really care about university - she never had ambitions to do anything special in this world. Besides, she wouldn’t have known what to study anyway. Buffy had worked at a small diner in town for a few years and once her mother was declared ‘cancer free’, she had decided to look for something else. That’s how she’d gotten the job as assistant. Buffy had been working at her mother’s gallery while in high school, so she had some knowledge of administration.

After putting everything away, Buffy pressed the play button on her answering machine. As she sat on the couch, she heard Willow’s voice fill her apartment.

“Hi Buffy! I just wanted to remind you of this weekend’s party. Maybe we could go shopping beforehand? I still need a new outfit. Let me know, ok? Talk to you later!”

Beep

“Hi, sweetie, it’s mom. Are you going to help me with the exihibition opening in two weeks? I remember you said you’d help me and I need the help! Call me, honey, I miss you.”

Beep

Buffy looked up when she heard her mothers voice. Joyce Summers lived in Los Angeles, where she owned a small art gallery. Buffy’s parents had gotten divorced when she was only two years old and Buffy had never seen her father again. She didn’t really mind, Joyce was an excellent mom and she never felt like she missed a father figure.

She called her mom back to confirm that she would help with the gallery exhibition. After she hung up, Buffy called Willow to tell her she’d go shopping with her before the party. She also told Willow about the gallery exhibition, as both she and Tara loved Joyce and never missed any of the gallery events.

Buffy rummaged in her handbag to look for the number of Dominos Pizza to order her dinner when she suddenly saw a pack of matches that had “Little London” printed on top. Blue eyes were the first thing that came to mind. Buffy sighed loudly. There was no point in dreaming about someone who wouldn’t give her the time of day.


XXXXX


“This was exactly what I needed,” Buffy sighed over her hot cup of coffee. Willow nodded in agreement.

“I feel like my feet have walked over hot coals and we still have to go to the party tonight.” She said and took a sip of her coffee.

Buffy and Willow had spent the entire Saturday afternoon in the mall looking for a new outfit for Willow, and costumes for the party that night. It turned out to be more difficult then they’d expected it to be. Finding a Halloween costume in May wasn’t the easiest thing to do. But after hours of looking, they found a little boutique that sold fairytale costumes. Willow had gone for a sexy fairy godmother outfit and Buffy had opted for a somewhat more ‘covered’ little Red Riding Hood outfit.

“So, are you going to swoon all over the British hottie tonight?” Willow teased with a smile on her face.

“I do not swoon! And what does it matter, it’s not like he would ever notice me.” Buffy sighed. “I just don’t know how to be around a guy, Will. And I know guys like girls that are confident and not some wallflower who doesn’t even know what a guy likes.”

“You know that’s not true, Buffy. You’re a sweet and caring girl, not to mention that you look great. Guys have been knocking on your door, but you keep brushing them off. Either you have too high standards or there is something blocking you. Try not to think too much. It’s really not that scary, Buffy. You’ll have to take risks to see where things can take you,” Willow explained, looking at Buffy intently. Knowing it was enough to deal with at the moment, she got up from her chair.

“We’d better go now and get ready. The party starts in three hours,” Willow said, checking her watch. They gathered all their bags and walked to the parking lot where Willow had parked her car.


XXXXX


Spike was arranging the bar for tonight’s party. It promised to be a success. The whole town had been talking about it. Everywhere he went, he heard people talking about the party - which made him smile. He couldn’t have hoped for a better start of a new life in this foreign country.

After a bad break up in London, England, he’d left the country to start afresh across the big pond.

Spike walked back to the stage where the band was setting up their gear and doing sound checks.

“Everything going ok down here?” he asked to no one in particular.

“Yeah, everything’s set up. We were just going to head out to get some dinner and we’ll be back here at 7:00 o’clock,” one of the guys replied.

“Right, see you fellas in an hour. If you need anything, just give a shout,” Spike replied.

He went over to the bar and checked the lights. Everything was in place.

“Hey Spikey, how’s my little blondie bear?”

Spike looked up from the bar to see his current ‘nightmare’ walking over to him. After he’d slept with her one night when he’d gotten pissed drunk, which had happened a lot right after his arrival, she hadn’t stopped following him. Spike never had any intention of having a relationship with the girl, and he’d tried to make that clear to her. But somehow it wouldn’t get through her thick head.

“Harmony, how did you get in here? I told you before not to come to the club like this.” Spike looked around and saw the backdoor open. The guys must have left it unlocked.

“But Spikey, aren’t you happy to see me? We could go out to dinner and have some fun later?” Harmony said, seductively pushing herself up against his chest.

Spike looked annoyed and pushed her away from him. “Stop it, Harm, I told you I’m not interested. Why don’t you just go and hit on some other guy? I’m through with it”.

He knew he sounded harsh, but there was no other way to get through to her.

Harmony looked offended. “Well, next time you have an itch to scratch, don’t come crawling back to me for something, because you won’t be getting it from me!” she said and stormed off.

Spike sighed and turned off the lights. It was going to be a long and busy night. He turned around and walked out of the club to get ready.


XXXXX


Willow and Buffy arrived at the club at 9:00 o’clock that evening dressed in their costumes. They saw their friends sitting at a table near the stage, waving them over. Willow grabbed Buffy’s hand and pulled her along with her.

“Hey guys, what’s up?” Xander spoke up first. “We saved you two seats. It’s crazy busy tonight, so we’re lucky to have any at all!”

Buffy gave him a grateful smile. “That was sweet of you Xander. I don’t know if I could survive standing on these heels all night.” She indicated the very pointy high heels that she was wearing.

She sat down next to Tara and Willow with a good view of the stage as well as the rest of the bar. She looked at the bar and saw Spike filling drinks. He was dressed up as a bad ass biker. Buffy drooled at the sight.

Willow gave her a soft kick under the table to get her attention back from the bleached blond.

“You’re staring,” she mouthed Buffy so that the others didn’t notice, except for Tara.

During their coffee break earlier that day, Buffy and Willow had talked about Spike and Buffy’s attraction towards him. But Buffy had made it clear that she didn’t want anyone else to know about it. Too afraid of people’s reactions and what they would do to make her go up to him. She just wanted to watch him from a distance, not believing she had a shot with him anyway.
Buffy smiled at Willow and turned back to the table.

“So, who wants a drink?” Buffy asked her friends. Cordelia pointed at the still-filled glasses at the table indicating that they were still good.

“Willow, you want a beer?” Buffy asked, already knowing the answer. Willow nodded and Buffy grabbed her purse to go to the bar.

Buffy took a deep breath. You can do this, nothing to be afraid of, it’s just a guy you are attracted to. He doesn’t even know you’re there, or would give you the time of day. While giving herself the pep talk, she didn’t notice she was already at the bar. She looked up straight into a pair of bright blue eyes that left her immobile for a moment.

“What can I get you, love?” Spike asked her as he bent over the bar so he could hear her reply.

Buffy was completely shocked. Up close he was even more gorgeous. She heard him ask what she wanted to drink.

“Two beers, please,” was all she could muster.

Spike smiled and went over to the tap to pour her drinks. He handed her the beers, for which Buffy paid, and turned to put the money away. When he turned back, Buffy had already left the bar with her beers.

She got back to the her friends’ table and put one beer in front of Willow and the other one in front of herself.

“Buffy, are you ok? Your face is beet red. Nothing happened, did it?” Willow asked worriedly.

Buffy shook her head quickly, hoping no one else had noticed. Luckily for her, Xander and Cordelia were deep in conversation about something that was not even worth discussing. The only one who had noticed Buffy’s return was Tara. But since she and Willow were a package deal, Tara knew of Buffy’s interest in the blond hottie that owned the bar.

She looked over and saw Spike looking at Buffy. She smiled to herself. Buffy may have thought Spike had no interest in her, but Tara knew better.


XXXXX


Spike had been busy pouring everybody drinks at the bar when he saw the beautiful little blonde coming over to the bar. She was obviously deep in thought and looked surprised to be at the bar the moment she looked him in the eye.

She was wearing the cutest little red cap outfit. It stood out from all the other costumes the other girls in the club were wearing due to the lack of skin revealed. She had everything nicely covered up, only a small amount of her cleavage visible. She looked nervous, and it made her look absolutely adorable.

When she’d turned around to walk back to her table he couldn’t help continue staring after her. It wasn’t until he saw the other blonde at her table looking at him with a knowing smile, that he went back to his waiting customers.

=====

So that's chapter two. I hope you enjoyed that. Please leave a review. It truely inspires me to continue writing. Tell me what you think or how I can improve. Thanks!