Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyong for reviewing. I'm glad you're all still enjoying this. The story is coming along nicely, but i'm at a difficult point with writing right now, so i hope i can keep up with the updates and keep the story well written and interesting. But i have lovely beta's who will guide me through the way!

Chapter 21: Moms know best


Buffy was walking arm in arm with Willow enjoying her free Saturday afternoon. They’d decided to go into town and do some shopping. Due to Buffy’s new job and her relationship with Spike, they hadn’t been able to do their usual outings which meant they had a lot of catching up to do.

“Have you spoken to Xander lately?” Willow asked her.

“I haven’t seen him since the night at the pub when he threw his beer at Spike. Besides, I don’t think it’s up to me to take the initiative to get in contact.”

Willow nodded and was silent for a few moments. “He’s really sorry for what happened. I can tell you that Cordelia gave it to him good after he’d left the pub. He’s afraid that you don’t want to see him.”

Buffy sighed. “Look Willow, if he wants to see me, he can come and contact me, he knows where I work. I’m still angry with him, but he’s also still my friend. You know I don’t appreciate it that he uses you as a messenger. Tell him to come and talk to me if he wants to re-establish our friendship.”

“Ok, enough negative talk. What do you say we go for a cup of delicious mocha and hit some more stores before we go home? You said you wanted to go to Victoria’s Secret, as a surprise for Spike, huh.” Willow winked.

Buffy grumbled under her breath. “I should never have told you that little piece of information.”

Willow laughed and steered Buffy towards the ‘Espresso Pump’. As they were about to enter they bumped into the person that was just walking out. Buffy lost her balance and disgracefully fell onto her bottom.

“Dear lord, I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you there, are you alright?”

Buffy looked up from her spot on the floor and grinned up at the man.

“Hello there Giles, it’s nice to see you too,” Buffy said getting up.

“Oh dear, hello Buffy, are you alright?” Giles asked her while taking her hand and helping her get back on her feet.

“I’m fine thanks, a bit overwhelmed by your exit, but fine otherwise. How are you doing?” she answered cheekily.

“Very well. I was just on my way back to the library. How is your mother?”

“Mom’s fine. I’m actually going to visit her tomorrow.”

“Good good, I heard you work at Little London now?” he inquired.

“Yeah… Spike and I worked some things out about working at the pub so he can work on his other plans.”

“I’m very happy for you Buffy. Say hello to your mother now, will you?”

“I will. Bye Giles!”

“Good day Buffy, Willow,” he said before walking off.

Both girls went into the coffee shop and found themselves a seat to relax and have a drink. As they sat there nurturing their mochas, they talked more about little things and just enjoyed each other’s company.

Just as they finished their drinks and were ready to leave, Buffy saw a familiar man walk up to their table.

“Hey Buffy.”

Buffy looked at Willow. Will gave her an encouraging smile and walked away.

“Hi Xander” Buffy replied cautiously.

“Could we sit down for a few minutes?” he asked softly.

Buffy nodded and sat back down. They sat there in silence for a bit.

“Look, if you’re not going to say anything then,” Buffy said.

“I’m sorry, Buffy,” Xander interrupted her.

“I was completely wrong to react the way that I did. I… I just couldn’t deal with the fact that some guy came into your life and swept you off your feet, right in front of my face. I got jealous, and reacted like a complete jerk.”

Buffy had to smile at that last remark.

“You were a jerk. Xander, you must accept the fact that Spike and I are together, and that things are pretty serious. I would love to keep you as my friend, but if you can’t deal with the idea of me having a relationship then I don’t know if we can stay friends.”

“I would like for us to stay friends,” he replied.

“Good”

“I’m not telling you that it will be easy, especially in the beginning. I just need to get used to it.”

“There is one thing though that I want you to do before we can go back to our friendship,” Buffy said giving Xander a pointed look.

“Anything Buffy.”

“I want you to apologize to Spike.”

She could see his hesitation and frowned at him.

“Alright, I will apologize to Spike,” he mumbled.

“Thank you, Xander.”

“Now, I have other shopping to do before I can go home. I hope to see you at the club, and you can drop by any time you like to take me out to lunch, ok?” she said and poked him in the side.

She gave him a hug and waved goodbye as she walked out of the ‘Espresso Pump’. Willow was waiting for her on a bench, clearly enjoying the afternoon sun.

“You told him we’d be here, didn’t you?” she asked Willow.

Willow gave her a sheepish smile. “I knew he wouldn’t have the balls to do it himself. And I want my friends to be happy. I’m sorry if I made the wrong decision.”

“All is good, Will. I think we sorted things out. He still has some groveling to do, and I told him to apologize to Spike. You should have seen the look on his face, it was priceless. But it’s the only way we can be friends, and I made that pretty clear to him.”

“Good, and if he screws up, he will have me and Cordelia to deal with. Now, let’s go to Victoria’s Secret to find you a dead-sexy number that will have Spike’s eyes fall out of their sockets.” Willow grinned mischievously.


XXXXX


Buffy turned off the ignition and got out of her car. It was a lovely day and she couldn’t wait to spend it with her mom. It had been too long.

“Mom?”

Buffy was standing on the hallway with her weekend bag over her shoulder as she closed the door behind her.

“Oh, hello sweetheart.” Joyce enveloped her in a big hug.

“It’s good to see you, mom. I’ve brought my overnight bag. I arranged with Spike to start work a little later so I could stay with you tonight.”

“Oh, that is sweet of him. How is he doing, he is such a charming man.” Joyce smiled at Buffy. “Let’s make ourselves comfortable in the living room, so we can catch up a bit. I made us some hot cocoa like we always used to and I did rent a movie in case you were staying tonight.”

“That’s great. I’m just going to take my bag upstairs to my room.”

“Ok honey.”

Two hours later, mother and daughter were still chatting about things that had happened in the last few weeks. The gallery was doing great, the exhibition had brought new customers and of course Buffy’s relationship with Spike was discussed.

“I love him,” Buffy whispered softly. “I was scared at first, it went all so fast, but he told me he loved me and I know I love him too.”

“Buffy baby, when I saw Spike at the exhibition, and the way he looked at you, I knew he was right for you. I could tell that you had him wrapped around your little finger without you even knowing it. He was entranced by you and couldn’t keep his eyes off of you the entire evening.”

Buffy was silent at that statement.

“I’m not sure yet mom, but he might be the one.”

“Just let it happen, honey. Everything will happen just the way it’s supposed to…”


=====

Jup, everything will be just fine....