Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews guys! Hope you're still enjoying yourself. I need to be more patient with my betas because of easter coming up, but hopefully i'll be able to keep posting twice a week.

Somehow sth went wrong with updating earlier. my final note was somewhere in the middle of the story. Sorry about that!
Chapter 23: New player in town


Buffy was sitting at her desk checking the application form of one of the bouncers she was going to interview today. She still hadn’t found one and she was getting worried that she wouldn’t at all and they needed one soon. Earlier that week, they’d had one bad customer who wouldn’t stop drinking. When Paul had refused to give him more drinks, the guy had resorted to violence. Spike was the one that had managed to escort him outside in the end, but it wasn’t something they wanted to happen again.

The knock on the door made her look up. “Hi, can I help you?” she asked the man standing in the door.

“Hi, I’m looking for Buffy Summers?” he asked. “They told me she’d be up here somewhere.”

“I’m Buffy,” she said, getting up from her desk, she motioned the guy in.

“I’m Riley Finn. I’m here for the position as bouncer. I have an interview with you?” he said.

“Yes, that’s right. Come in and take a seat. Do you want anything to drink?”

“No, I’m fine, thanks,” he answered as he sat down.

“So Riley, let’s cut straight to the chase. I’m sorry to say that we’re almost desperate when it comes to finding a bouncer. Could you please tell me your experiences and something about yourself?” she asked as she sat down at her desk.

“Ok, so the name’s Riley Finn and I’m from a small town in Iowa. My dad’s an officer in the United States army and that’s how I got my position in military school. I was in the army for about 5 years until I realised it wasn’t for me. I did get all the combat training and it’s good for the job as a bouncer.”

Buffy nodded her head and wrote down everything he told her. It all sounded good so far. “Do you have any experience as a bouncer?”

“I did have one job before this one, in a club in L.A. Had some nasty clients, but I’m not afraid of them.”

“Ok, that’s good to hear. Though we always try to avoid physical violence it may be needed at times, and we need to make sure you are able to handle that,” Buffy responded seriously.

“Well, you don’t have to worry about that ma’am; I will be able to handle myself.”

“Good, good. Well, I think I’ve heard enough so far. When can you start?” she asked with a big grin on her face. “And it’s Buffy.”

“You’re giving me the job? I can start right away,” Riley answered happily. “Buffy?”

“Yes I am. You can come back tonight at 6? The pub opens at 7, and I would like to show you around the place before we open.”

“Ok, that’s cool. I’ll be here at six.”

Buffy got up from her desk and walked over Riley to shake his hand in congratulations. What she didn’t expect was him taking it and kissing the back of it.

“You won’t regret this Buffy,” he whispered before turning around and walking out of the office.

Buffy stood stunned for a while. She really hoped she’d made the right decision, because she really didn’t want to analyse what just happened.

Shaking her head she walked back the desk to finish up some paperwork before lunch. Spike had told her he’d take her out for a quick bite to eat and she wanted to be ready when he got there.

At one o’clock Buffy was finished with her paperwork and looked around her office. Everything looked neatly organised and she was ready for her lunch. She got up from her desk, grabbed her jacket and made her way downstairs to the bar. Paul was going over the inventory and getting the bar ready for that evening.

“Hey Paul, have you seen Spike?” she asked him.

“I believe he just got in. He should be around somewhere.”

Spike showed up as if on queue. “Hello love, are you ready to get something to eat?” he asked as he made his way over to her.

“Yup, ready to get some food. I’m pretty hungry.”

“Good. I’ll see you later Paul,” Spike said waving to his bartender.

“See you Spike, Buffy.”

XXXXX


Buffy walked into Tara’s office for her appointment and sat down on the sofa. Life had been hectic and she hadn’t had time for her usual weekly visit.

“Hey Tara. Sorry I’m late. Spike took me out for lunch and he decided to drive us out of town to a nice little bistro.”

“It’s ok. I’m sure lunch with your lover is more important than talking to me.” Tara smiled.

Buffy giggled and looked Tara in the eyes. “I’m really sorry. I shouldn’t have neglected our meetings.”

“Oh no, Buffy. Don’t worry about it. Your life has changed drastically the last few weeks. And that means we have a lot to talk about now.”

“I suppose you’re right. Things have changed so much. I have a new job, a loving boyfriend with whom things are going great.”

“So how’s the new job working out for you so far?”

“Oh Tara, I love it so much. Everybody is so nice there, and I feel right at home. And people actually listen to what I have to say! It’s so cool. And I finally found a bouncer today…” Buffy said and then frowned.

“Something wrong with that?” Tara asked.

“Something strange happened at the end of the interview. I mean, I’m probably making it into something it’s not, but it just felt weird…”

“What happened?”

“Well, the guy that I interviewed, his name’s Riley, and he was all gentleman like during the interview, very nice and all. But before her left I went over to congratulate and he took my hand and kissed it and then he whispered that I wouldn’t regret it.” Buffy was silent for a moment. “It was just really strange. Because at that time I was thinking I may have made the wrong decision.”

“Why would it have been a wrong decision?”

Buffy looked up at Tara as if she’d lost her mind. “Why?? I’m in a relationship with someone!” Buffy almost yelled.

“Buffy, do you not think that maybe you’re making too much of the situation already? First of all, Riley doesn’t know about your relationship with Spike, and so doesn’t know you’re not available. Secondly, it might not have been anything at all; he may have just been trying to charm you to secure his job.”

Buffy wasn’t convinced.

“Look, I think you should just let things take their course. Do not encourage Riley, but don’t treat him differently. Just act normal towards him, like you do with everyone else.”

“Right, ok, I can do that. Just act like I do with everyone else.” Buffy said while biting her bottom lip. “Should I tell Spike?”

“Do you want to tell him? Is there anything to tell him?” Tara questioned her.

Buffy didn’t know what to say. She was probably being stupid about the whole thing. It wasn’t anything to worry Spike about. He had enough going on in his head as it was.

“I guess not. You’re right, there’s nothing going on. I shouldn’t make this into something it’s not.”

“Good, now that we’re talking about Spike, how are things with you two?”

They continued their session, Buffy talking about their relationship and how things had progressed in the mean time. As the end of the hour neared, Buffy said her goodbyes to Tara and made an appointment to come back in two weeks.

As she walked out of Tara’s office Buffy felt remotely better. Her sessions really did help her deal with certain aspects of life.

With a smile she stepped into her car and drove off towards her apartment.

=====

I hope you guys still like the story and that i'm not lossing anyone's interest. Please give me feedback to improve! Thanks!