Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks a million for the reviews! You made my day. Sorry for the late update. My parents were here for a long weekend to celebrate my birthday, which was great of course. Hop eyou enjoy this chapter. Angst is coming!
Chapter 26: It's not what you think


Spike was extremely busy and Buffy hadn’t seen a lot of him. She was missing him and it was driving her crazy.

As she walked into the pub, she saw Riley standing by Paul chatting away. She’d kept her distance with Riley, but still talked to him when she needed to. He was so easy to talk to, and he could easily make her laugh. He’d come to her office at the end of his shift and they’d talk about the events of the day. She’d shared a few drinks with him, but nothing more. It was nice to have some company at the club now that Spike was out so often.

“Hey guys, how’s it going?” she asked as she walked up to the two. “It’s promising to be a good night, with the ‘Dingoes Ate My Baby’ playing here.”

“Yeah, I’m sure I won’t be bored tonight!” Riley laughed.

“Paul, have you seen Spike at all? He was supposed to be making arrangements for tonight’s gig, but I haven’t seen him and I can’t reach him on his cell,” she asked the head bartender.

“No, sorry Buffy, I haven’t seen him yet, but when I do I’ll tell him you’re looking for him.”

“Thanks a million. I have some things to discuss with him,” she said while looking around the place to make sure everything else was pretty much ready for the night. “Right guys, I’m heading out for a bit. I’ll be back later tonight to watch the show.” She walked to her office to get her stuff and exited the pub to go to meet up with Tara and Willow for dinner.


XXXXX

Spike checked his cell phone to see if he had any messages and noticed that the battery was dead.

“Sodding phone,” he cursed to himself. He hadn’t spoken to Buffy in days and he just wanted to hear her voice. He quickly got into his car and drove off into the direction of ‘Little London’.

“Paul?” he called out when he walked into the pub, all the while looking for Buffy.

“Spike, man, where have you been? Buffy’s been almost frantic looking for you.”

“I’m sorry Paul, the batteries of my mobile are dead so I couldn’t be reached. Was she looking for me urgently?” he asked, slightly worried something might be wrong.

“Not urgently, but she wanted to discuss some things with you. Told us to tell you she was looking for you.”

“Ok, thanks mate, I’ll give her a call then.” He walked over to the staircase leading towards ‘Buffy’s’ office. Sitting down in her chair he grabbed the phone and dialled her cell number.

“Hi, Buffy speaking,” he heard her answer the call.

“Hey baby, it’s me,” he answered.

“Spike!” He could hear the delight in her voice and a big smile enveloped his face. “Where have you been? I’ve been trying to call you all day long, but you never picked up. A girl might get ideas ya know.” He knew she was teasing him and he chuckled into the phone.

“Oh baby, you have nothing to worry about. There’s only one person in my life and that’s you kitten. My batteries died on me so I wasn’t able to answer your calls. But I hear from Paul that you’ve been frantically looking for me. Couldn’t stay away from me huh?”

“I miss you baby.” He heard her whisper into the phone.

“I miss you too kitten. But I’m here tonight, helping out Paul at the bar. Will you be in?”

“Yeah, I’m having dinner with Willow and Tara now, and will come to the pub afterwards. I’ll wait for you.”

“Good, I’ll let you go now then.”

“I’ll see you later baby, I love you.”

“I love you too, kitten,” he said, hanging up the phone and noticing a figure hovering in the doorway at the same time.

“Anyone there? Can I help you?” he called out. When he saw Riley step into the doorway he frowned.

“Sorry, I heard talking and thought Buffy might be in.”

“No, Buffy’s having dinner with her friends,” Spike replied cautiously.

“I know, she told me. Sorry for bothering you, see you around.”

“Yeah, see you…” Spike wasn’t sure what to think of this. Why would Riley just come round for a visit? Buffy told him he had nothing to worry about a few weeks before when he questioned her on their encounter, and he trusted her. But after his deceitful relationship with Cecily he still felt his insecurities about these things crawl back to him. Finding his first love in bed with another man had left him with deep scars. Even though he knew Buffy would never do that to him, he knew he would never feel 100% secure.

With a sigh he got up from his chair and walked back downstairs.


XXXXX

“Hey Buffy!”

Buffy turned around and saw her two friends sitting at a table near the back of the restaurant.

“Hey guys, sorry I’m late. Spike called me on my way over. I hadn’t spoken to him in a few days.” She smiled at her friends; it was good to see them.

Tara smiled softly at her. “So how are you guys doing?”

“Things are going great. Life’s just been really busy. The pub needs a lot of my attention and Spike’s really busy with his ideas.” She unconsciously let out a loud yawn.

“Buffy, you alright? You look exhausted,” Willow told her gently.

“Thanks Willow.” Buffy chuckled at her friend. “I’m ok. It’s been a bit tiring lately, but I’ve been so busy with everything that I haven’t given myself enough rest. Don’t worry.”

“If you’re sure.”

“I’m sure,” Buffy said. “Now let’s order. I’m starving.”


XXXXX

The ‘Dingoes’ were playing their socks off and the dance floor was filled with people. Buffy made her way over to the bar and saw how busy Spike and Paul were. She went behind the bar and wrapped her arms around Spike giving him a quick squeeze before releasing him.

“Hey baby, I couldn’t wait any longer, missed you,” she said while standing on her tiptoes and giving him a quick kiss before pulling back.

Spike put down the two beers on the bar he was serving and pulled her back into his arms. “And I missed you. I will see you tonight right?”

“You can count on it.” She disentangled herself from his embrace to let him get back to work and walked up the stairs towards her office.

When she got there she couldn’t help but smile when she saw the single red rose lying on her desk. She sniffed it and went in search for a little vase to put it in. Not finding any she opted for a glass instead and put the rose in it on her desk.

“I see you’ve received the rose. Do you like it?” she heard someone say from the doorway.

She looked up she saw Riley standing there she frowned slightly.

“I was up here earlier, but I couldn’t find you,” Riley told her softly.

“I’m here now… can I help you with anything?” she asked quietly, not sure what to think.

“I just wanted to see how you were doing, and tell you that I’ve really enjoyed our talks of late.” He was walking closer towards her and Buffy got up from her chair to stand beside her desk.

“Riley, that’s really nice of you. I enjoy our talks as well, but…”

He didn’t let her finish though. “And I also wanted to say that I think you are a remarkable woman.”

She saw his hand reach up towards her face. Ok, so this was absolutely not of the good.

“Riley, wait, I’m sorry, I’m not…”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she felt Riley lips on hers and his tongue make his way into her mouth. His grip on her was too tight and she couldn’t get loose from his embrace. When she saw a shadow in the doorway she recognised the person immediately. She would recognise that body anywhere. Finally, being released from the tight grip she brought her hand up to her mouth and stared at the man she was deeply in love with. Though his stare was returned with one of icy cold anger and before she could react he was out of the door again.

“Spike!”

=====

right, that's it. The angst is coming, i hope you enjoy it still! Please leave me a review! Thanks !:)