Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow, i'm a bit overwhelmed with the feedback that i'm getting. I'm happy people are getting into it. Just a bit more angst, i promise you things will be better!

Thanks to my two beautiful beta's for checking the story!
Chapter 29: Positive thinking?


“Miss Summers?”

Buffy looked up from her magazine and saw the medical assistant holding open the inner office door.

“The doctor is ready to see you now,” the assistant said.

Buffy got up from her seat and walked into the doctor’s office.

“Hi Buffy. I haven’t seen you in a while, how are you doing?”

She shook hands with him and sat down in the extra chair next to the examination table. “Hi Sam, I haven’t been feeling well lately.”

“Right, let’s see what we can do about that. Lisa took a blood and urine sample when you came in, is that correct?”

“Yes.”

“Good, we’ll probably know the results of your urine test within the next few minutes. Why don’t you tell me how long you’ve been feeling under the weather?”

“It’s only been the last few weeks. I thought it was just the stress of a new job and other things in my life, but I’ve been getting dizzy a lot and yesterday it got so bad that I actually fainted. The guys at work won’t let me come back until I see a doctor,” she said, letting out a small giggle. “They’re kinda over-protective.”

“Sounds like they care to me. Is there anything else apart from the dizziness?” Sam inquired.

“Hmm, not really, I’ve been really tired as well, but I guess that has to do with the dizziness.”

A beeping sound went off and Sam pressed a button on the machine in front of her.

“The results of the urine sample are ready,” a voice said.

“Thanks, you can bring them in,” Sam replied.

Buffy waited anxiously, fiddling with the hem of her shirt as the results were brought in. What she didn’t expect to see was Sam looking up to her giving her a warm smile.

“Buffy, when was the last time you had your period?”

“Well, I’ve always been kinda irregular, but I guess the last time was maybe 2 months ago? But it was only a light bleeding,” she said, with mixed emotions. She was worried, but the smile on Sam’s face told her she shouldn’t be.

“There’s a perfectly normal explanation for the symptoms you’ve been having.”

Buffy looked at Sam expectantly. “Whatl?” Buffy asked, although she was starting to suspect what Sam was going to tell her.

“Buffy, according to these tests, you’re pregnant.” Sam smiled at her.

Buffy was still shocked to hear it actually said out loud. Her mouth fell open and she unconsciously brought her hand to her stomach. “What?”

“You’re pregnant. And thinking back to what else you told me I would say you’re about two and a half, three months along.”

Buffy stayed silent, trying to process the information.

“Buffy, are you alright?” Sam asked with a worried look on her face.

Buffy raised her head to look into Sam’s eyes. Tears were threatening to spill. How could this happen to her now? “I’m sorry. I… I need to go.” Buffy hurriedly stood up and picked up her handbag.

“Buffy, hold up. It would be wise to schedule an appointment with a gynaecologist. I can recommend you one if you like.”

Buffy stopped short at the door and turned back to Sam smiling weakly. “Thanks Sam, I’ll call you back. I just need to… I need to go.” She turned back to the door when Sam called out to her again. She stopped not turning back right away.

“Are you ok?”

“I don’t know,” she whispered. “I really don’t know.”


XXXXX


“Tara?”

“Yes baby?”

“Buffy just called, she’s coming over right away. She seemed upset.” Willow walked into the kitchen where Tara was making some tea. Tara gave her a worried look and handed Willow a mug before they made their way into the living room.

There was a knock on the door and Willow went over to open it. Before she could even say anything, her arms were full with a sobbing Buffy. Willow and Tara exchanged worried glances.

“Buffy?” Willow called out to her soothingly, but there was no response.

They both slid slowly to the floor as Buffy continued to sob holding on for dear life. Willow ran her hands over Buffy’s back, whispering words of comfort.

“Oh Willow, what am I going to do?”

“Buffy, please tell me what’s wrong.” Willow asked her softly. She felt Buffy extract herself from her embrace. Her face was completely tearstained and her eyes looked back at her with a pained expression.

“Willow… I’m pregnant.”

Willow looked at Buffy shocked, completely blown away by the news. “Buffy, are you sure?”

Tara kneeled down next to the pair handing Buffy a tissue to blow her nose.

“I went to the doctor today. They did some tests and they told me I’m about two and a half, maybe three months pregnant.”

There was silence again.

“How can I be pregnant and not know, Willow?” More tears were rolling down her cheeks.

Willow looked at her friend, feeling sorry for her. Everything she’d been going through the last few weeks, and now this.

“Let’s get off the floor ok?” Tara told them softly helping Buffy to her feet.

“Thanks.”

When they sat down on the sofa Willow turned back to Buffy.

“Does Spike know yet?”

The look on her face told Willow all she needed to know.

“Oh, I’m so sorry sweetheart.”

“He won’t talk to me Willow. I’ve tried to call him and went to his house, but he won’t answer me.” She was sobbing again and Willow took her back in her arms.

“Tara, could you please ready the guest bedroom. I don’t want her to be home alone now.”

“Of course not, she shouldn’t be alone, I’ll get the room ready.”

Willow felt Buffy pull back and she ran her hands over Buffy’s tearstained cheeks.

“Thank you guys. I didn’t know where else to go.”

“Don’t worry Buffy. We’ll always be here for you. What else are friends for huh?” Willow gave her a reassuring smile.


XXXXX


Buffy walked into the pub with only one goal: finding Paul.

“Paul?” she called out. When no one responded she walked to the lower level of the club to look for him there. What she didn’t expect to find was the man that was now standing in front of her.

“Spike…”

“Buffy.” He looked shocked and agitated at the same time.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, not knowing what to say else. She hadn’t even gotten the chance to talk to him and now that he was there she was at a loss for words.

“Well, I work here, and I heard the place needed some attending.”

“Right, I’m sorry.”

They were both silent after that. But Buffy couldn’t take it any longer.

“Spike, I love you.” She blurted out.

Spike’s face changed from agitation to anger.

“Well, you have a strange way of showing it.”

“I tried calling you, I… you never gave me any chance to explain. Nothing happened, I didn’t do anything wrong. Riley was there, and he didn’t know I was seeing you. And I couldn’t stop him. I…”

“Don’t worry Buffy. I saw you with him again.” At her confused look he continued. “I saw you with him a few days ago; he was carrying you to your building. I came over to give you a chance to explain, but what I saw pretty much sealed-the-deal. You don’t have to explain.” He was walking away from her then and she grabbed his arm to stop him.

“No Spike, it wasn’t anything. I wasn’t well, he was just helping me. Please, you have to believe me.” She was almost begging him, her hormones getting the better of her as tears formed in her eyes.

“Spikey?”

Buffy whirled around and was faced with a blonde woman who was wearing an extremely short skirt and a top cut so low, her boobs were almost falling out.

“Harmony?” Buffy asked.

“Buffy? Oh my god, is that really you? How have you been?”

“I’ve been better. How are you? What are you doing here?”

“Oh, Spikey was just showing me around. Do you know Spike?”

Buffy looked at Spike in disbelief. ”I have to go.”

Buffy fled from the room tears now running freely.

=====

Well, that's another chapter, hope you guys enjoyed that one as well! :)