Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay, another update! LOL. Thanks for all the lovely reviews! You guys know how to make me smile every time i come back into the office the next morning and see a bunch or reviews :) Hope you enjoy this update as well! Leave me more reviews, and make me smile again!
Chapter 31: Promises


Before she knew what was happening she was enveloped in a tight manly embrace.

“Oh Buffy.”

Buffy was stunned to say the least. “Spike?”

“Buffy, I’m so sorry baby. I’m so sorry.”

She felt hot tears leaking onto her shirt and realised he was crying.

Her mother walked into the hallway and Buffy saw the apprehension on her face. Buffy gave her an encouraging smile and before walking toward the kitchen, her mom gave her an encouraging one back.

Buffy tried to pull herself out of Spike’s embrace but he wouldn’t have any of it. “Spike, please let me go.”

“No, Buffy, I’m so sorry. Please don’t tell me to go.”

“I’m not, but your death grip is making it a bit hard to breathe.” She felt him immediately loosen his hold, but still didn’t let go of her. “Why are you here?”

He pulled back then and looked her in the eyes. The emotions were clear in his crystal blue eyes.

“And how did you know I was here? I specifically told everyone not to tell you.” She felt her heart contract when she saw the hurt in his eyes. ”I’m sorry, but you never gave me a chance to explain, and now I needed some time for myself.”

“I’m sorry,” was all he said.

”Stop saying you’re sorry! It’s the only thing that’s come from your mouth since you got here and I’m still not sure why you’re even here in the first place.” She was definitely getting more agitated and the fact that she didn’t know how to handle this situation didn’t help her either.

She was mad at him for not listening to her, but also happy that he was finally there. But then she remembered seeing him with Harmony and felt the piercing pain in her heart. She pushed him away from her and managed to disentangle herself from his grip.

The emotions in his eyes spoke volumes of his feelings. Not wanting to be affected by it, she looked away and walked back into the living room, needing some extra space between them. She sat down in one of the chairs and saw Spike do the same.

He stared at his hands and said nothing. The silence continued and Buffy felt herself grow even more uncomfortable. Not being able to stand it anymore she opened her mouth to say something, but was cut ff by his voice filling the air.

“I never meant for you to see her there.” He wasn’t looking at her, so he missed the look of disbelief cross her face.

“You didn’t mean for me to see her? You mean to say that she was a dirty little secret? Just another one of your bimbos to fall back on?”

His head shot up. “What? No, Buffy, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“So what did you mean Spike? Please, enlighten me!” She got up and started pacing the room. “Convince me that it wasn’t what it looked like when I saw you with her. That it was just a way for you to get back at me.” She turned to him and gave him a cold stare.

“I just needed someone around me. I couldn’t take it being alone anymore.”

“And you decided Harmony was a good replacement? Well, you know what Spike? You can go back to your little blonde substitute, because I really don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

She abruptly turned and marched out of the living room. She didn’t get far though, because she was once again hit by one of her dizzy spells. She’d been warned to take it easy, but of course a situation like this didn’t help that at all.

She moaned as she grabbed her head and felt her world go black.


XXXXX


Spike had followed behind her as she’d marched out of the living room. Though he hadn’t expected her to crumble to the floor. He quickly shot out his arms to prevent her from connecting with the wooden surface.

He cradled her in his arms and looked with concern at her white face. “Joyce!” he called out immediately.

It didn’t take long for her to speed into the hallway, having heard the urgency in his voice.

“She just collapsed. I didn’t mean this to happen, I’m so sorry,” he whispered.

“Shh, Spike, I know you didn’t. Let’s put her on the sofa, she’ll probably come to in a few minutes.”

Spike lifted her up in his arms, made his way back to the living room and slowly set her down on the sofa, her eyes already fluttering open again. He kept holding her close and brushed a kiss to her temple.

“Spike?” he heard her ask groggily.

“Shh pet. It’s ok. Everything’s going to be ok.”

“What happened?”

“You fainted in the hallway. I was just in time to catch you before you hit the floor.”

“I really need to stop doing that.” She tried to sit up, but he didn’t let go. He wasn’t ever going to let her go again.

“No Buffy. I know I haven’t been fair to you. But first we’re going to talk about what just happened, because it’s clear that this is not the first time.”

Buffy looked away from him then. “It’s nothing for you to worry about.”

Spike was hurt by her answer. She didn’t want to tell him the reason she’d been feeling less than 100%.

“So, you want to tell me there’s no specific reason that you just faint like that.”

“I never said that, I told you it’s nothing for you to worry about.”

“Well sweetheart, that’s where you’re wrong. Because when the woman I love keeps fainting, it is something for me to be concerned about.”

Buffy stayed silent after his proclamation.

“So? Are you going to be honest with me and tell me what’s wrong, or do you think you can keep this from me forever?” The double meaning of his words were obviously not lost to her, because she turned in his arms and looked into his eyes suspiciously. He knew there’d come a time when there would be no way she could conceal her growing stomach.

“You know…”

“Know what Buffy? That you’re carrying my child? Yes, I know.” He told her firmly.

“I specifically told them not to say anything. It was for me to tell you.” She wasn’t looking him in the eye and he could tell she was upset that he had found out.

“I want you to be able to tell me everything.”

She looked at him with tears in her eyes. “You were with another woman, Spike. I couldn’t tell you. You have to understand that.”

“I know Buffy. I know…”

They were both silent.

“I guess we have a lot to talk about,” she said.

“I guess we do.”

=====

So they're talking, finally! What did you guys think?