Author's Chapter Notes:
Ugh, i just uploaded it and it said i needed to have a story first and that i was not the author. How nice. *grumbles* ANyways, I have to upload a little earlier on the day than usual. I had no internet this morning and don't know if it'll work when i get home. I hope you guys like it. Thanks to everyone for reviewing!

Chapter 7: Act of Jealousy

“Thanks Wills, I’ll see you tomorrow evening at the club,” Buffy spoke into the phone.

Her and Willow had made plans to go to Little London the next evening. Buffy hadn’t seen Spike since the kiss. They’d spoken on the phone once since, and that had been a short conversation because Spike had been very busy with work. He’d sounded tired as well and Buffy wondered if he got enough sleep.

She could hardly wait to see him again. Buffy was still amazed at how at ease she felt with him. She’d never been able to feel so comfortable and relaxed around men, and she loved it.

Buffy was just about to run a batch when she heard a soft knock on her front door. Running to it, and opening it, she was surprised that all she found was a huge bouquet of flowers. She didn’t need to wonder long to see who had sent it. She found a small red card that said: ‘I’m sorry for not giving you the attention that you deserve. Please forgive me. Spike’

Buffy had to smile at this. She put the card aside and smelled the flowers. ‘He sure knows how to get to a girl’s heart’ she thought to herself.

Deciding she wanted to surprise him as well, she went up to run her bath for a nice soak. She would go to the club tonight for a short visit to say thanks for the bouquet.

Two hours later Buffy was ready to go. She checked her make up for the last time in the hall way mirror and headed out of the door.

‘Little London’ was relatively busy, it being a Friday night, and most people that were there had gone straight from work for a few drinks.

Buffy looked at the bar to see if Spike was tending today, but she didn’t see him there. Not wanting to barge into his office right away she decided on having a drink first and wait a little while. Maybe he would show himself in a little while. Buffy ordered her drink and sat at a table near the back of the pub, so she had a nice view of everything.

After about fifteen minutes went by there was still no sign of Spike. Just when Buffy decided it might be a good idea to check upstairs she saw a flash of bleached hair in the corner of her eye. She turned her head to see Spike in the arms of another woman. It was clear that it was a willing embrace from both sides and the huge smile on Spike’s face indicated his happiness of the situation. Buffy watched with a dazed look in her eyes how he flung the other woman in his arms which made the woman go in a mad fit of giggles.

Buffy had no idea how to respond to this situation. She really thought Spike had been different. He’s been so honest with her; giving her all the time she needed by letting her set the pace. She had truly believed his intentions were true and that he had feelings for her. But seeing the display in front of her, she realised she’d been played.

How could she have been so naïve? Buffy felt hot tears developing in her eyes. Not wanting to draw attention to herself she quickly got up from her chair, grabbed her coat and headed for the exit. When she was outside she let the cool evening air calm her features. Drawing up the collar of her coat Buffy made her way through the parking lot and got into her car and drove off towards her home.

When Buffy entered her home, the tears that she had held at bay came to the surface, and there was nothing she could do to stop them. She slumped down on the couch and curled up holding a pillow to her chest. The tears came down like a river.

Buffy woke up the next morning still lying on the couch. She hadn’t bothered getting up last night, and her crying had tired her out. Buffy had fallen asleep on the couch with her cheeks still wet from her tears.

The ringing of her phone made Buffy get up from where she was. She checked the caller ID and when she saw it was Spike she walked away from the telephone, to let the machine answer it. She went up to the bathroom to get a shower, convinced that it would make her feel better.

When she returned she saw Spike had called her 3 more times and left a voice message. Not wanting to hear what he had to say, she ignored the message and grabbed her bag to go out. She needed to talk to Willow, her trusted friend that always knew how to make her feel better.

“Buffy?! What are you doing here?” Willow asked bewildered when she found her best friend standing on her doorstep.

“Can I come in Will? I need to talk to you” Buffy said softly. And only then Willow saw that her eyes were still somewhat red eyes from crying.

“Of course Buffy, come in, tell me what’s wrong.” She gestured for Buffy to come in and walked to the kitchen to get something to drink. “Do you want some tea?” she asked Buffy.

Buffy nodded and sat down on the couch.

Willow came back with two cups of hot tea and sat down next to Buffy.

“Now tell me what has got you so sad. You were so happy when I spoke to you on the phone yesterday.”

Buffy look at Willow with new tears in her eyes.

“I went to see Spike yesterday, as a surprise,” she whispered. “And when I got there, I saw him with another woman.” A single tear fell down her cheek.

Willow looked at her with a disbelieving face. This was not what she had expected from Spike.

“He was with another woman?” she asked with a frown. “Are you sure he was there with her, maybe she was a good friend?” Willow said trying to make it better.

“It looked more than a friend Will. He was smiling and giving her big hugs. That’s not just friendly behaviour.” Buffy sniffed. “Why does this always happen to me, what’s wrong with me?”

“Oh Buffy darling, nothing is wrong with you. You’re the sweetest person I know. Come on, let’s rent a movie and have some Ben & Jerry’s. We’ll worry about men another night, ok?”

Buffy gave Willow a weak smile and agreed to an all girls movie night.

Neither heard Buffy’s mobile going off several times that night.


XXXXX

Spike had no idea why Buffy hadn’t been answering his calls. It had been two days since he’d spoken to her, and she hadn’t made any attempt to get back to him. It was getting on his nerves and he wondered what could be wrong.

He was sitting at his desk in his small office staring at the phone. First, she hadn’t answered any of his calls the day before and then Buffy hadn’t shown up for her usual Thursday visit to the club, which showed all the signs that something was obviously not right.

Spike got up from his desk, grabbed his jacket from the chair and walked out of the door. Getting into his car, he drove off to Buffy’s apartment.

Knowing that she couldn’t be home from work yet he sat down on her doorstep waiting for her to arrive.


XXXXX


Buffy had had the worst day ever. After her movie night with Willow, she’d gone home and straight to bed. She’d seen the messages Spike had left on her mobile again but never bothered to check them. Every time she thought of him she felt tears come to her eyes. She’d honestly thought he was interested in her. ‘Guess I was wrong,’ she thought to herself bitterly.

When she pulled up to her house she saw Spike sitting on her front porch. Great, just what she needed. She had no idea how she was going to face him. Pulling herself together she got out of her car, and walked up to her front door.

“Spike”, she said, walking past him to open her front door.

“Buffy, I’ve been trying to call you for two days now. Why didn’t you get back to me? Are you ok? Did something happen?” Spike asked, taking a hold of her arm before she could open the door.

Buffy turned around with fire in her eyes. “Yes, actually, something did happen. You know Spike; I really don’t think this is going to work. Maybe we shouldn’t see each other anymore. I’m sure you won’t have any problem finding someone else.” Buffy amazed herself by successfully stunning Spike. She pulled her arm out of his grasp, walked into her apartment and shut the door in his face.

Buffy walked to her bedroom still dazed from her own outburst. But as soon as she deposited her bag and looked into the mirror, seeing her face aflame and her watery eyes, she crumbled to the floor, letting the tears fall once again.


XXXXX


Spike had no idea what had just happened. He stared blankly at the closed door. Buffy had sounded so cold. Distant. So unlike her. Shaking himself out of his daze he knocked on the door, determined to find out what was wrong.

“Buffy, open the door. Obviously something’s happened that has got you upset,” Spike shouted through the door. He waited a few seconds before he knocked again. “Buffy, pet. Please let me in.” Spike knew he was starting to sound desperate at this point, but he didn’t care. Just when he’d found the one girl he thought he could have a long term relationship with, something happened to screw it all up. And he had no idea what it was.

Having stood in front of the closed door for over ten minutes without getting any answer from Buffy, Spike walked back to his car, and with one last backward glance, he drove off.


XXXXX


“Rupert, I need your help.”

Spike stepped into the small office in the library as Giles looked up from his book. “William, how can I help you? Is something the matter? You seem upset.” Giles got up from his chair.

“It’s Buffy”, Spike said, dropping down into another chair.

Spike had kept Giles in the loop of his progressive relationship with Buffy, knowing how much Spike cared about the girl and also knowing that if he would do anything to hurt her, Giles would hunt him down and give him a slow and painful death. At least, those were the words Giles had spoken to him when he’d told him he was seeing Buffy.

“What did you do?

“I didn’t do anything, as far as I’m aware of. I send her a bouquet of flowers and after that I didn’t see or hear from her. When I went over to her apartment just now, she gave me the brush off and told me we shouldn’t be together anymore.” Spike informed Giles.

“Something’s not right, Rupert. What can I do?”

“There is someone you could ask,” Giles said.

=====
Well, i hope you liked that. Not my best piece of writing i think. Tell me what you thinkg please!