Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone for the great reviews. It really helps me write new chapter and improve my writing. (i hope you agree, lol) In case you guys thought the angst was over (as if that little bit was angst!) there is so much more to come ;-) Though not telling you what!

Thanks to my beautiful beta's again! Enjoy this chapter!

Chapter 9: Someone To Talk To


When the door had closed behind Spike and Drusilla, Buffy looked up at her mother to see her smiling at her.

“What?” Buffy asked becoming a little bit uncomfortable by her mother’s gaze.

“You really like him, don’t you?” Joyce asked, walking into the living room. She sat down next to Buffy.

“I do,” Buffy whispered softly.

Joyce got more comfortable on the couch, which Buffy knew was a sign they were going to have a serious chat.

“So tell me, baby. What happened? When Spike called me, I was surprised to hear from him. You never mentioned the seriousness of your relationship before. All I knew was that he was interested in you.”

Buffy knew she had to tell her what was bothering her.

“Spike and I have been seeing each other for the last week. It’s all going so fast, it’s scaring me,” Buffy said in a quiet voice.

“So you are afraid things are going too quickly and you have no time to adjust to this new adventure?” her mother asked.

Buffy nodded. “I’ve never felt this way about anyone mom, and it scares me. I feel so vulnerable,” she said as a lone tear slowly made its way down her cheek.

Joyce took her hands and squeezed them lightly. “Buffy,” she said and then sighed. “Not all men are like your father. Don’t let his leaving us affect your judgement in men. I believe Spike is a good man, and it’s obvious he cares a lot about you. Maybe you should talk to Tara about this?”

Buffy looked at her mother with wide eyes. “You think I need a shrink?” she asked incredulously.

“Buffy, Tara’s not a shrink and you know it. She’s a counsellor and I’m convinced she can help you. You feel comfortable talking to her, don’t you? I think this is a good way of sharing your emotions and dealing with your insecurities.” Her mother told her gently, still holding Buffy’s hand.

Her eyes left her mother’s face, slightly in a daze, but knowing her mother was right. She needed to deal with her insecurities. They were getting in the way if she wanted to start a serious relationship with Spike.

Taking a deep breath she answered her mom. “If you really think it will help me, I will give her a call tomorrow.”

Joyce stood up from the couch, giving her hand one last squeeze.

“I think you’re doing the right thing. And don’t be afraid to take risks, honey. It will be worth it.”

XXXXX


When Buffy arrived home, she picked up the phone and dialled Spike’s number.

“’ello?”

“Hi,” Buffy whispered softly, still feeling shy and silly for what had happened.

“Buffy love. Is that you?”

“I just wanted to call you and say hi.”

“Oh baby, you can call me any time you want.”

“Did Dru have a nice time? I’m sorry if I spoilt your plans with her. I feel so stupid.” She sighed into the phone.

“No Buffy, you didn’t spoil any plans. I wanted you two to meet, even if this was in a little different setting than I first had anticipated. She loved meeting you, and your mom. She had a wonderful time, believe me,” Spike said in a soothing tone.

“I’m going to make an appointment with Tara. I told you about her right? She’s a counsellor. Mom says it will help me with my insecurities.”

Spike was quiet for a few seconds. “I think that might be a good idea. Talking to someone you trust can be very liberating. But you know you can talk to me about anything right?”

“I know… but some things are easier to discuss with an outsider, since some of these talks will revolve around you,” she said.

He chuckled at that. “I guess you’re right, pet. What do you say we go out on a date next Sunday? Something simple, I know we should take things easy, get to know each other, and not jump into anything we’re not ready for.”

Buffy smiled. “Yes, I would like that, Spike”.

“Good. I will pick you up at noon. We’ll make a day out of it,” he said.

After saying goodbye she hung up the phone, knowing she already felt a lot better.


XXXXX


Spike hung up the phone, smiling to himself. He knew Buffy needed time to think about things, but he also knew she was most definitely interested in him. It was true that they would have to take things easy. They’d really only known each other for a week, even though it felt like it was an eternity, and they were acting around each other like they’d been together for months.

When he turned, he saw Drusilla sitting on the coach with a knowing smile on her face. She knew her brother like no other, and he knew that about her. She knew that when he fell for a girl, he fell hard, and fast. And that was obviously what had happened with Buffy. And knowing him, he would pursue her till she wouldn’t be able to say no.

Sitting down he turned to Dru, already knowing she wanted inside scoop. He smirked at her.

“Stop smirking at me, Spike. Tell me more about you and Buffy. You drag me up to her house, telling me nothing but that you have to go there, and you want me with you. So tell me everything before I go crazy, huh.” She teased him.

“Alright Dru, you know me well enough to have figured out that Buffy means something to me. I will tell you the whole story now, but I will do that over a nice glass of wine.”

He got up and walked to his liquor cabinet. Grabbing some glasses and a bottle of wine, he mentally prepared himself for a long night full of stories about Buffy and interrogations from Drusilla.


XXXXX


When Buffy woke up the next morning she was feeling better than she had in a long time. Thinking back to the day before, and the events of that evening, she couldn’t help but get a smile on her face.

Getting up from her bed she walked into the kitchen to make herself some coffee. She had a busy day ahead. Lilah had been on her case as usual about stuff that needed to be done, and it was literally driving her insane. She was seriously thinking of finding another job. Though she knew it would be difficult, since she had no college degree. She would just have to wait and see how things progressed.

She picked up the phone and called Tara. She was ready for a good heart-to-heart. Tara had an open slot later that afternoon because a client had called in sick. It was as if it was meant to happen that way.

She got ready for work and left the house in a cheerful mood


XXXXX


Buffy walked into Tara’s practice and sat on the couch, waiting to be called in. Just as she picked up a magazine to read, the door to the office opened and Tara stuck her head out.

“Come in Buffy, I’m just going to get us some tea and we can get started.” She smiled at Buffy waving her in.

Buffy made her way into the office and had a good look around. She’d never actually been in Tara’s office before on a counselling appointment. Only when Tara had opened her practice 2 years earlier, but the rooms had been filled with balloons and decorations and it looked completely different now.

It had a nice and warm feeling that made her feel at ease. As if the room was having a soothing effect on the people that came in to talk about their problems. The walls were dark red and white, and there were two leather sofas in the room. Tara’s desk was on the opposite side of the room, only to be used for administrative uses and first time consults with her clients.

Buffy sat down on one of the leather sofas as Tara came in with their tea.

“So, Buffy, what is it you want to talk about exactly?” she said as she sat down, handing Buffy her tea.

“Well, I should probably tell you about a few things that happened yesterday, when I went to my mom’s house.”

Tara sat quietly listening and then asked, “So, your mom thinks it’s wise for you to talk to me about your insecurities when it comes to men? But what do you think yourself Buffy. It won’t work if you’re not open to my suggestions,” Tara told her.

“Of course, I’m open to whatever you have to say. I realised yesterday that this is not the way I can continue living. If I would like to start a relationship with Spike, I will have to trust him, and be able to open myself up and give myself to him.”

Tara smiled at that. “Buffy, have you any idea how wise that just sounded? I think you’re going in the right direction with your thoughts. But don’t throw yourself in the deep end right away. Dare to take risks yes, but take things slow. You’ve known Spike only for a short period of time. Get to know him, go have fun with him, and see where it leads you. The most important thing is that you earn each other’s trust.”

Buffy gave Tara a brilliant smile. “He asked me out on a date this Sunday. I’m really scared, but am looking forward to it at the same time.”

“Ok Buffy, this is your assignment for this week. Yes, I’m giving you homework! Go out with Spike, try to let loose a little bit and get to know him. You can tell me how things went when we see each other again for our next appointment.” Tara winked at her. “Go get your man, girl!” she said laughing.


=====

Ok, another chapter! What do you guys think? Going fast enough for you? ;-)