Parking her car in Willow’s driveway, she took the keys from the ignition; the curtains twitched and the door opened just moments later. Willow ran through the front door and with a squeal, she attacked Buffy to the ground.

Buffy laughed as she hugged her best friend back, her bag handle still attached to her hand as Willow helped her up.

Laughing they both walked into the house arm in arm. Buffy sat down on the couch with a slump, dropping her bag next to her. Willow sat next to her, squeezed her arm, and giggled.

“I can’t believe you’re finally here. We’re going to have so much fun.” She smiled at her best friend. She couldn’t remember the last time they had spent time together.
“Where’s Xander? I thought he would be here to meet me.” Willow looked around uncomfortably.


“Oh he’s meeting someone at the airport; he’s going to meet us later.” Buffy nodded as she stood up and stretched.

“Is it alright if I get freshened up for our boogie night?” Willow nodded and pointed down the hallway.

“If only you knew,” Willow muttered hoping her plan didn’t backfire.


Xander stood at the gate; waiting was never one of his strong suits. He paced back and forth waiting for the throes of people to enter the arrival lounge. He stood on his tiptoes until he spotted the shock of platinum blond hair.


Making his way through the crowd, he kept his eyes on the blond hair. Someone knocked on his shoulder and he was about to turn and shout an offending remark, when he was pushed from behind.

“Hey.” Xander bellowed and turned around, only to be face to face with Spike. He in turn grinned and put his fists up ready for a fight.

“Hey man, you know if you were anyone else I would pummel you?” Spike raised his eyebrow sardonically.

“Yeah right.” Xander laughed knowing he was right.

“So are you ready for a wild weekend?” Spike clapped him on the back and he fell forward.

“Oh yeah, I’m ready but are you?”

Spike frowned and laughed as he walked off in search of his luggage.


Buffy let the hot water cascade across her tired body, being in the town she grew up in brought vivid memories back.

Feelings she thought were buried forever suddenly came back full force. Shaking her head, she continued to wash her hair, shaking thoughts of first loves and bright blue eyes that were able to reach within.





**** Flashback*****

“So where were you on Saturday night? I thought we were bronzing?” Willow smiled as she linked arms with her best friend.

“Well Spike and I had the intention of partying but we fell asleep.”

“Oh Yeah.” Willow nodded her head, and clucked her tongue causing both girls to burst into a fit of giggles.

Buffy opened her locker, placed her books inside, and looked at the photo of her and Spike smiling back at her.

“You know if your boyfriend found out you were looking at another man, he wouldn’t be pleased.” Buffy smiled and turned around to face the bright blue eyes that looked back at her.

“Well, I won’t tell him if you don’t.” She turned around staring into the most intense blue eyes she had seen.

He pulled her close, his hand settling on the small of her back. Her fingers threaded through the hair at the nape of his neck while her lips moulded against his. His tongue licked her bottom lip causing her mouth to part.

Buffy was vaguely aware of whistles erupting in the corridor, until Spike pulled his lips away and blushed slightly. Buffy looked away from his eyes to see Willow giggling. She was doing her best to look at the book she had now taken from her locker.


“Okay, that was embarrassing. See what you do to me?” Spike leaned his forehead against hers as the bell echoed through the corridor.

Buffy giggled nervously as she spotted Willow signalling her from the other side of the corridor.

“I have to go.” She lowered her eyes and blew out her breath. It danced along Spike’s chin causing little vibrations along his spine.

“Okay I’ll see you at lunch. Love you.” He kissed her softly on the lips and walked away. Buffy stood transfixed while staring at his retreating form as it disappeared around the corner.

“He loves me.” She whispered, her fingers lightly grazing the still swollen lips. Dazed she walked slowly into the classroom and sat down.

“Buffy. Everything okay?”

“Will. He said the word.” Willow’s eyes slowly showed recognition of the word and squealed much to the dismay of the teacher who grumbled he should be working in the military instead of being stuck in a classroom.

“This is big. What are you going to do? Are you going to say it back?” Buffy absentmindedly started to bite her nails.

What was she going to do?

******End Flashback******


“So what are we doing tonight then mate?” Spike sat back in the passenger seat as Xander kept his eyes on the road. Xander had been way too quiet.

“Well seeing as it is the night before the uh night before. I thought we would go to the Bronze, you know like old times.” Xander kept his eyes permanently fixed on the road.

“I don’t know Xand. I mean that place holds too many memories.”

“I thought you said you could do this. You never think about her?”

Spike smoothed his hair with the back of his hand releasing some of his blond curls, debating with himself to come here had been hard. Truth be told he never stopped thinking of her.

“Yes I do think about her sometimes, but it’s just this place brings so many fresh memories.” Xander sighed, a sudden ball of nerves expanding in his stomach. Why did Willow talk him into this?

Buffy stood in front of the mirror and stared at her reflection; her blond hair cascaded and settled over her shoulders. This was a special night. It wasn’t often she dressed up for any occasion; the least she could do was make the effort for her friend.


Her blue dress fitted in all the right places, her neckline plunged low to reveal a modest cleavage and dipped low around the back. She twirled in a circle suddenly giggling to herself as her cheeks flushed with energy.

She stopped suddenly as she noticed the picture resting against the bedside cabinet, the familiar blue eyes looking back at her.

***** Flashback *******



Buffy sat on the couch waiting for Spike to arrive, her fingers drumming against her knee as the clock stared back at her.

She stood up quickly as the doorbell rang, smoothing her blue dress down she smiled and opened the door.

Spike stood on the other side of the door, his hair illuminated by the light. Smiling she stepped aside to let him in.

“So where have you been?”

“Getting your corsage? He moved his hand from behind his back to reveal a large blue box.

Grinning, Buffy quickly retrieved the box and opened it. Gasping she took the flower out and urged Spike to place it on her wrist.

“It’s beautiful.”

“Buffy, Spike. Please let me take some pictures.” Buffy’s mother Joyce rushed in with the camera, after five minutes of grins that could stretch elastic they quickly bundled out of the house and into the car to pick up Willow.

Settling into the seat she waved to her mom through the window, lifting her wrist she admired the corsage.

The prom was in full swing when they arrived. Xander was already dancing on the floor. Willow shook her head and smiled as she walked over to him getting caught up in the chicken dance.

Spike’s hand placed on the small of Buffy’s back, they walked over to get a drink, spotting Giles standing in his suit she waved.

“Did I tell how gorgeous you look in your tux?” Buffy looked up as he started to pull the collar away from his neck.

“No you didn’t, but I look like a penguin.” Buffy laughed and kissed him on the lips.

An hour later Buffy was having a ball dancing with her friends; she spotted Spike talking to Giles and waved over.

Half an hour later she tried looking for Spike and not finding him she wandered down the corridor from the school gym. Hearing voices in a nearby classroom, she walked in to find Spike and Cordelia in the corner kissing.

Buffy’s gasp hitched in her throat as Spike turned around. His face contorted as he stumbled forward.

“Buffy. This is not what it looks like” Spike voice broke the silence as Cordelia wiped the corner of her mouth.


“Really. I think I will never speak to you again.” She turned on her heels and slammed the door leaving Spike to realise he had just made a terrible mistake.

Running down the hall, tears threatened to escape. Not looking where she was going, she bumped into Willow and Xander.

“Buff what’s wrong?” Willow’s hands held Buffy’s as she re-told what she saw in the room. Spotting Spike walking out of the door, she motioned Xander to get Buffy home.

“Don’t worry I’ll get Giles to give me a lift home.” She patted Xander on the shoulder as she left them to walk up to Spike.

Pushing Spike on the shoulder, he stumbled back. Her arms crossed defensively, she stood there with her eyebrows knitted together.

“How stupid could you possibly be William?” he lowered his head and tried to explain to Willow. She listened quietly realising it was Cordelia’s ploy to get Buffy to break up with Spike.

Willow sighed and linked arms with Spike, walking back into the prom and towards Giles.

Buffy didn’t go to school the following day, she couldn’t face seeing Spike and Cordelia in school. Picking up the phone, she dialled the number with her mother’s consent and she made arrangements.

Spike left it for 3 days before he tried to call on Buffy. Knocking on the door, he waited. Xander tapped him on the shoulder, and sighed shifting his hands inside his pocket.

“You won’t find her there. Willow had a call from her; she moved to live with her father. She’s gone.”

Spike closed his eyes, but couldn’t swallow the lump that formed in his throat. Slumping onto the ground, he rested his head against his knees.

He’d lost her.

********End Flashback*********

Quickly setting the picture back down she lifted her head, there is no way she was going to think of him tonight. He was in her past never to be seen again.