Buffy stood motionless, her eyes fixed firmly on the man that had haunted her dreams for years. She barely registered Willow’s hand grasping hers and pulling her forward.

Her feet felt heavy as she walked slowly. Turning to Willow she looked for some sign this was a dream.

“Oh god I can’t do this Will.”

“Of course you can, I’m with you. I mean it’s only Spike right?”

Buffy looked at her friend like she had grown two heads.

“Don’t you remember what it was like in school?”

Willow grinned and wiggled her eyebrows causing Buffy to giggle.

Spike had a multitude of emotions flowing through his body. Watching her as she walked forward, she leaned into Willow and spoke. They both broke into laughter. Spike found himself smiling and frowned suddenly wanting to grab her and kiss the past away.

As she neared, her grin flew back to shock and nervousness. She suddenly felt like the teenager she left behind.


Xander nudged Spike in the back and motioned with his bottle to sit down at a nearby table. Spike ran a nervous hand through his hair.

They all sat down at the same time; each locked in their own thoughts. Buffy crossed her hands over her knees; she couldn’t look at him just yet.

Willow held her hand inwardly cringing at the atmosphere that had surrounded the table. Xander’s eyes darted to his fiancée. Pushing his chair back with a scrape he walked around the table. Buffy looked up to see her friend smiling down at her. Standing up she hugged him fiercely; she needed this little encouragement.

“I’m so happy you’re here Buffy.”

Xander released his hold on Buffy and moved away, his head tilted and pointed to the bar.

“Will, help me with some drinks would you?”

“No I’m not going, I’ll wait here.”

“I can’t carry them on my own.”

Xander mouthed to leave, Willow stole a glance towards Buffy who nodded. Squeezing her hand she stood up and walked away. She waited until they were out of sight before smacking Xander across the back as they walked to the bar.



Spike took the lame opportunity to lean forward and study the girl who sat next to him.
His eyes slowly took her in, her hair was dyed a lighter blond. Her skin now had the tanned glow from living on the coast.

When Buffy looked up intent on seeing where Willow was, her eyes caught his gaze. His bright blue eyes were looking back at her; he was still the most handsome creature she had ever seen.

Crossing one of her arms across her chest her other hand tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Can you please stop looking at me like that?”

“Like what luv.”

“Don’t call me that.” She turned her head away, to stop from crying. His pet name for her spoke straight to her heart.

“I’m glad you’re here,” he whispered, his fingers drumming on the table.

“I’m not sure about that, I feel like I’ve made a mistake coming here.”

“Yeah there’s been a lot of those in the past.” He muttered wondering what the hell was taking Xander so long.
“Can we not do this now?” Buffy held up her hand to stop him from bringing up the most painful part of her life.

“Okay well what do you suggest we talk about?” Spike slumped back in his chair feeling defeated. He was deluding himself that this was going to be a romantic reunion. There was too much bitterness between them both.

“How about, what do you do for a living? That’s always a good ice breaker.”

“Well I’m a lawyer working in Los Angeles.”

“A lawyer huh? Sounds good what kind of lawyer?”

“Criminal mainly, it’s good work and steady. How about you?”

“I’m a doctor. After leaving Sunnydale I really didn’t know what to do with my life. I met someone who was studying medicine and he said why don’t I try it. I found myself enjoying what I was doing.”

At the mention of her leaving the town they lived in, Spike shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

She looked at him, her brows knitted in a frown that made her nose crinkle.


“So this friend of yours, you still see him?”

“Who Riley, well we see each other…..” Buffy was stopped from the conversation as Xander placed the drinks on the table.

Spike snatched his bottle and drank heavily; she was seeing someone. Why was he jealous? It’s not like she would be waiting for him.

“Is everything okay Buffy?” Willow whispered as she sat back down at her seat.

She nodded reassuring her friend everything was okay, while her stomach was churning. He sat right across from me, and all I want to do is embrace him and say sorry for running out on him.

“Buffy?”

She looked up when she heard her name being called, her eyes widened and the colour drained from her face. Her hands gripped the edge of the table, her knuckles turning white.

The other three occupants of the table turned to who was calling her name, all three visibly paled. The past had come back to haunt and bite her on the ass for good measure.

She closed her eyes and tried to block out the vision of the person she didn’t want to see, but every time she closed her eyes she couldn’t shake the image. She felt someone’s hand grasp hers, as if knowing how upsetting this would be.

Opening her eyes slowly she looked down to her hand that covered her own; looking up she saw only Spike. Time stood still as all she could see was him, but this was the reason she had toyed with the idea of coming back.

She couldn’t do this. This was a test it had to be. Her small breaths were causing little hiccups. All he could do was watch her as she had what looked like a panic attack. His jaw clenched and unclenched until he felt her hand squeeze his back.

Spike looked down in wonder. His hand firmly grasped within hers, the slight touch sending ripples of warmth through his whole body.

A shadow cast itself across the table. She sighed and looked up, fixing a smile on her face.

“Cordelia, Angel how nice to see you.”