“Do you mind if we join you?”

Not waiting for a reply, she lifted a chair from a nearby table, placed it between Xander and Spike. Seating herself, she waited for Angel to find a chair.

“Of course not.”

“Spike you’re certainly looking well, I see things never change.”

“Really I’d say things have changed, haven’t you gained a few pounds.”

Buffy turned to stifle a giggle, while a straight-faced Willow looked at Xander who had an amused look on his face.

“It may seem that way but I’m still swollen from surgery.” Noticing their hands on the table she raised an eyebrow.

“You two still together after all this time, that’s refreshing. I heard that you had run out of town Buffy.”

Buffy’s lips pressed together, a clear sign she was losing her patience. Shaking her head she opened her mouth to speak.

“Actually we are still together, how long has it been honey? In fact we’re just in town for our friends’ wedding.”

Buffy looked at Spike and then at her friends. Xander suddenly found his beer very interesting.

Fixing a bright smile, she moved her chair in closer so that her leg was touching Spike’s.

“Yep that’s right, we’ve been together since school.”

“That’s sweet. Oh is that Harmony? Nice to see you all.” Cordelia pushed her chair back causing it to scrape loudly across the floor.




Buffy tapped her foot on the floor, her whole body shaking. Picking up her drink she knocked the contents to the back of her throat.

“Bitch.” Muttering to herself she stood up and walked to the bar.

Two hours later Buffy was leaning against the bar, the empty glasses racked up in a line. Giggling to herself, she looked down the bar to see Spike, Willow, and Xander in deep conversation.

“Okay this is ridiculous. Look at her, she’s wasted. She’s obviously taking this harder than we thought.”

“What we’re you bloody thinking? You must have known how she would have reacted.”

“We didn’t think she would come if she knew you were here as well.” Xander lifted his hand for another shot of whiskey.

Spike dropped his head down and sighed loudly, turning to watch Buffy who was now waving and jumping down on the spot.

“Xander you might as well stay with Willow, I’ll take her home.”

“She’s not going to like it.”

“I know, but tonight she hasn’t got a choice.”

Fixing himself a seat next to Buffy he watched her carefully. Standing up she ordered another shot. Spike looked at the barman and mouthed to him to stop.

“Buffy come on, I’m gonna take you home.” He moved to stand up and just barely caught her in his arms.

“Spike, you’ve got strong arms. I missed those arms.” She giggled prodding his arms with her fingers.

Placing an arm around her waist, he held her upright while trying to walk out of the bar. The door opened as they wandered into the alley, Spike looked around for a cab. Trust his luck; he decided she might be better if she walked for a bit.

“Buffy luv, can you walk at all?”

“Yep no problem. I’m a professional you know.”
His arm still firmly fixed around her waist she took a tentative step forward, slipping on the pavement she sighed.

“Okay so the pavement moved, that’s not fair.”

Laughing at the predicament he found himself in, he helped her as they walked down Main Street.

They walked a few blocks when Buffy stopped and turned to face him, her eyes welled up in front of him.

“Spike I want to tell you, I found out what happened tonight with Cordy. Willow told me.”

Spike stood still and listened. He could see she was having trouble. She started to clench her fingers when she was embarrassed.

“Buffy…”

“No I need to get this off my chest. And with the whole Dutch courage thing going on I would prefer to do it now”

“When I saw you that night at the prom with Cordy, it was like my heart had just snapped. I didn’t want to face you or anyone in school. It hurt too much.”

Buffy started to pace as she let out all her feelings in the middle of the street. Her head suddenly felt clearer as all her emotions bubbled to the surface.

“God I missed you so much, I wrote you lots of letters intending on posting them. But I was so worried they would get sent back to me. About a year after, I decided to come back so I rang my mom to explain my decision and she said you had left town. So I stayed where I was. Every time I rang Will or Xander they would mention your name and it was like my heart just couldn’t take it.”



Spike stepped forward his hand firmly fixed at his side. She held her hand up to stop him from moving closer.

“I know now how stupid it was for me to leave, but it had seemed right at the time so for that I’m sorry.”

She lowered her head finally relieved she had told him, maybe now they could get on with their lives.

“Buffy, I think if we had just talked about it. But I wasted my time and didn’t call you till a couple of days later.”

She put a finger to his lips to stop him, shaking her head, her blond hair bouncing around her shoulders.

“There’s nothing there anymore, I just wanted you to know.”

Spike brow’s knitted together in annoyance, grabbing her upper arms he pulled her close. Breathing heavily he leaned forward his lips almost covering hers.

“Are you honestly sure there is nothing there?”

His warm breath danced along her lips, causing a shiver to course along her back. Her eyes grew dark while his lips barely touched her throat.

“Positive.” She swallowed loudly, her hands itching to wrap themselves around his neck and pull him closer.

Lifting his head he gazed at her soft lips. Buffy looked at him. She knew it now; she was still madly in love with him.

She didn’t see the movement coming until it was too late. All coherent thoughts were lost as his lips pressed against hers.