Chapter 2: Where is my daddy?


“Mommy, what are you doing up?” Buffy looked behind her and saw her daughter standing there in her pajamas with a tired look on her face. Her eyes were half closed and she looked like she was just recovering from a hangover.

“The question isn’t what am I doing up, the question is; what are you doing up little one? Are you having stomach cramps again?” She asked her 4-year-old daughter Emma with a concerned look. Emma was having stomach problems a couple of months ago, nothing serious, but it was enough to make Buffy panic. Emma meant the world to her and she couldn’t imagine life without her. Even with the little things, like a cut, Buffy went ballistic. She was only 17 when she found out she was pregnant with her. Of course she was in shock at first, but who wouldn’t at that age? She was only 17 and now she had to take care of her sister AND a baby? It was too much, but now… she wouldn’t want it any different. She couldn’t imagine her life without Emma in it.

“I had a dream mommy. It wasn’t scary, but there was a man and he… he s...” Emma started. She wasn’t sure how she was supposed to ask her mother this, but she wanted to know so badly. She looked at her mother with her big eyes.

Buffy looked at her daughter. Emma was a special little girl, she was much smarter than most kids her age. She was very mature for her age. At times Emma would say something that made Buffy think who was the 21-year-old and who was the 4-year-old.

“What did the man say honey? Did he say something mean?” Buffy asked concerned. Emma wasn’t scared easily, but when she was scared, her screams could wake up a whole town.

“He said that he came for us. That he couldn’t wait to… to have us, to be with us again. What does it mean mommy?” Emma asked her mother with a confused look on her face. She wasn’t scared, just confused. She knew the man wouldn’t hurt her, or her mom. She didn't know how or why, but she knew something she couldn't explain told her they would be allright.

“I don’t know baby, I really don’t know. But it was just a dream; you don’t have to be scared.” She told her, hugging her little girl tighter. She stopped hugging Emma when she asked her the one question that made Buffy silent.

“Mom? Where is my daddy?”

It took a while for Buffy to respond to her daughter. It was the first time that Emma had asked her that and she didn’t know how to answer it. She took a deep breath and looked at her little girl again.

“I don’t know Emma. I really have no idea. It was a long time ago when I last saw him.” Buffy looked at her daughter. She didn’t like to lie to her, but as she thought of it she realized she wasn't exactly lying. She didn’t know EXACTLY where he was, just that he was somewhere in LA.

“When was the last time you saw ‘im?” Emma asked looking intensely at her mother. She knew her mother didn’t like talking about him, but she also knew that she did think a lot about him. She would always stare into space and sometimes she would say his name, just whispering it… Spike.

“Do you have to go to LA? He isn’t coming home! Buffy, would you just let it go, I know I did.” Dawn pleaded with her sister .Her arms were crossed to show she was serious. She knew Buffy could take care of herself, but it was a strange and new city for them.

She knew that Buffy just couldn’t get over the fact that their brother left them. She was angry too, very angry. The jerk didn’t even come to the funeral of their own mother! She wanted her brother to come back, just to show him that they could make it without him! They didn’t need him; she wanted him to need them!

“I have to Dawnie and I can’t just let it go, he’s our brother for god’s sake. I need him, you need him!” Buffy tried to tell her sister. She knew why Dawn was so scared, after all; there are a lot of weird people in a big city like Los Angeles. But she didn’t want to think of that, she didn’t want to think of the dangers, she only wanted the think about Xander. How they were going to be a family again. She was going to get him back, no matter what she had to do.

After their mother died all she thought about was if they could only get Xander back,then they’d would be a family again. She just had to tell him that she needed him, that Dawn needed him!

“I don’t need him; he wasn’t here when mom died, so I don’t need him now. The only thing I need is you… here, with me….” She sighed. But, I know you have to do this. No matter what he would do, you’ll always be there for him, which is something I could never do Buffy. I could never do that, because he hurt me so much.” Dawn told her sister. Buffy knew she was fighting to hold back her tears. Buffy was always strong, she never cried and Dawn wanted to be like her, but Buffy always said that she could let it out, and then she did. She cried again and again till she physically couldn't cry anymore.

“I’ll always be here for you Dawnie, please believe me. I could never leave you.”

“I know Buffy.” She told her sister while hugging her like her life depended on it. She didn’t want to let her go. Buffy smiled when she was stuck inside her sister’s deep embrace. She didn’t want to let her go. After a couple of minutes Dawn finally let her go. Buffy kissed the top of her head, grabbed her suitcase and disappeared out of the door.

When she was hugging Dawn all the memories of Xander leaving came back to her. When she was hugging him, she didn’t want to let go either. There was only one thing different from that night; she was coming back!


To be continued


---------------

AN: thanks to: Tuesday, yipee, MarstersGirl13, 75_Bloody_Trombones, Peanut Butter, SarahandJamesFanatic, Chrissnicole, Stine, Spikestheman. You're really great!

And Spikestheman I got myself a beta, not one but TWO :P

Thanks SOOO much to Chelsea and Meg mejia for betaing this chapter!