Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters except for Mia, Bryan, Daniel, and Cassandra. Joss Whedon owns all of the others
A/N (Thanks to anyone who’s actually reading this : ) I’m honoured. Please, Reviews! They make me write faster, and do a world of good to my sagging ego : ). I hope you enjoy this part. Thanks!)

Okay, Enjoy!

8 8 8

Hugged by his leather duster, Spike was proving he was a brilliant actor. Kicking his legs nonchalantly as he sat on the small table, he betrayed none of the roiling fear… no, not fear, he chided himself, nervousness. Yeah, just nervousness. After all, if Adam realized that he had been betrayed, Spike didn’t doubt at all that the torture Adam would inflict on him before staking him would surpass what the Initiative had done.

-And that’s bloody ironic, innit? Considerin’ Adam really is part of the Initiative… or used to be.-

The bleached blonde kept his eyes firmly trained upon the screen still showing the empty corridor, just like Adam. To his calculations, Buffy should be appearing right about…

“Well, this is must see T.V,” Spike smirked, unnecessarily pointing at the image of Buffy, accompanied by a large group of soldiers, walking down the corridor. “Look, there’s the Slayer. Now, I believe we have one chip to be out?”

“She’s alone,” Adam said satisfactorily, ignoring him. He silently perused the situation for a few more seconds, and then smiled. “Very well. Forrest?”

The human/demon hybrid stepped up, and grabbed Spike. If his heart was still beating, it would have been thumping impossibly fast. Possibilities whirled through his mind as he wondered what was going to happen next.

“… I will honour our agreement and remove your chip.”
Spike stared at him in amazement, wondering if teaming up with the Slayer had been a bad idea. But as soon as he saw the glint in Adam’s eyes, he knew he hadn’t.

“Take his head off.”

Forrest grinned viciously, slamming Spike against the computers, but he was prepared. He brought his right hand up, which had hidden his lighter, and Forrest reeled back, screaming as his eye was engulfed.

Freed from his grasp for a moment, Spike elbowed Forrest in the solar plexus and raced off to his next spot. Forrest started afterwards, but Adam just smiled.
“Leave him, there’s nowhere to run.”

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8

“Colonel,” Buffy tried, but she was cut off.

“You have some nerve, lady, waltzing into a government institution bearing weapons…”

Buffy sighed and rolled her eyes. “You haven’t checked me yet? Unarmed. And I’m trying to warn you. Adam is here, Colonel. In the Initiative.”

“Nice try,” he sneered arrogantly. “Every inch of this place is under surveillance. A tick or a mouse couldn’t come in here without us knowing it!”

“Including the secret lab?” Buffy asked innocently.

“Including everything!” he barked.

There was a silence as the Colonel stared at her for a while, then. She had to resist smirking at him as he looked around at all the soldiers surrounding them, and then back to her. “What secret lab?”

“The one that Adam’s been using,” she explained. “The one built for the final phase of the 314 project.”

At the blank look in the Colonel’s eyes, Buffy rolled hers again. “And you have no idea what I’m talking about.”

“I know everything that goes on in here,” he declared rigidly.

“Oh really? Well, how do you plan to get close enough to Adam to grab his power source?”

He glared at her, pausing for a little while before answering. “Hit him simultaneously with multiple taser blasts, and incapacitate him.”

“Well, that’s right up there with duck and run,” Buffy snorted. “I’ve seen Adam hit by taser blasts. He feeds on it. So now you’re going to provide him with an all you can eat buffet?”

“You have some nerve telling me about my business…”

At that Buffy snapped. She’d put up with this arrogant, ignorant idiot for too long. “Your business? This isn’t your business, it’s my business! You, the Initiative, the boys at the Pentagon, you are in way over your heads! Messing with primeval forces you have absolutely no comprehension of!”

“And I suppose you do?” he sneered.

“I’m the Slayer,” she stated fiercely, feeling a strange sense of pride surge through her as she made her stand. “You’re playing on my turf.”

The Colonel stared at the five foot, three inch blonde Slayer. He wasn’t the only one who had suddenly felt power radiating off her in waves. Composing himself, he snarked back. “Up there, maybe. But down here? I’m in control.”

Ironically, at that exact moment, the lights went out, and the alarm fired.

“Colonel! All power is down! The Hostiles have escaped!”

Buffy merely leaned on the wall and watched, casually as the suddenly ashen man moved to the computers. “How many!”

The soldier gulped. “All of them, sir.”

“Colonel, it’s Adam. Get your men out of here, and let me go,” Buffy lost all of her nonchalance as easily as if a mask had dropped from her. “I’m the only one who can stop him!”

He glared at her again, ignorance and arrogance getting the better of him. “Alright men, hit the armoury. You, guard her. This girl is under arrest, understand? Everyone, follow me.”

Buffy rolled her eyes as the Colonel ordered the one paltry soldier to guard her. As soon as the rest were out of earshot, she quickly turned on him. Smiling as she felt the adrenaline rushing. Everything was dark, none of the doors were locked except for the ones to the outside, and there was a big, bad, demon ass that she needed to kick. Despite the warnings of the apocalypse that would come if she failed, Buffy was ready.

“Nice speech, Slayer.”

Even Spike’s presence wasn’t enough to bring her mood down, but now she moved into Slayer-mode, grinning wickedly. “Are we all set?”

“All pumped and ready to go,” he smirked. “Come with me.”

She rolled her eyes again, and followed him through the strange near-darkness of the Initiative corridors. Presently, they heard loud cries and screams, and a light ahead grew steadily brighter.

“I thought all the electricity was out,” Buffy whispered.

Spike scanned the far room with his vampiric eyesight. “I think good old Frankenstein thought that battles in the light would even out the kills… what with most demons naturally being able to see in the dark and all.”

“It’d figure,” Buffy frowned, but then the same grin was back in place. “Ready, Spike?”

“I’m always ready, Slayer.”

They leapt into the crowded room, battle-cries sounding in their throats. For Spike, he felt the fierce surge of joy as he waded through demons, unconsciously saving humans as he went. Bones snapped, muscles tore. With a savage scream of primeval rage, he separated a demon’s head from his body, all at once.

But the chipped vampire wasn’t the only one cutting a swathe of destruction. Buffy kept her wicked grin firmly plastered in place, moving like an acrobat as she went. As she felt the near hysterical laughter bubble out of her, she felt the selfsame fierce urge from deep within, and she gave into it. Spike’s scream mixed with her laughter as they each ripped apart their foes simultaneously.

If the soldiers of the Initiative weren’t so well trained, they would have stared, fixated, on the pair that were wreaking bloody devastation upon the demons they were fighting. Some, however, took the time to gape disbelieving at the raw strength and violence that seemed to crackle in energy waves around the two.
Buffy felt a pure force inside her that threatened to overwhelm her. It was…

Primeval.

888

Images swirled past her, but try though she might, when she tried to focus on them, they melted away from her. Ineffectively, she grasped for them, but they slipped through ethereal fingertips. Where was she?
Another figure, another image. A snake, rearing up as if to strike, but then it faded away again before she tried to determine the details.

And then another. Someone was screaming…

And then another. It was a glowing golden orb, glimmering like there was a soft internal fire inside. Inside, there were even more images, flowing together almost seamlessly…

And then something crashed inside her mind. The utterly horrific image of something so inexplicably, unexplainably, evil, that it sent her reeling. She crashed to nonexistent knees in this place as waves of nausea overcame her.

“Stop!” she forced out, hoarsely.

Instantly, everything slowed as if the images had been liquid that had instantly turned to ice. Shakily, she stood, and wondered if, in this place, she could retch.

“Okay,” she rasped. “What the hell am I doing here?”

A ghostly figure immediately appeared by her side.

Looking up through half-swollen eyes, she vaguely noted that he… she… it… seemed to be genderless. Clad in a long white robe, he/she/it merely looked down on her, and smiled.

“What is this?”

“This? It is an extension of your mind, only. It’s what you want it to be.”

“Okay,” she nodded slowly. “That makes some sense. But why am I here?”

“Magic shrouds you. Magic engulfs you. Magic flows through you. You’re surrounded by it, and it’s suffocating you.”

“Magic? You’ve got to be kidding me. Magic doesn’t exist.”

The he/she/it… being, she finally decided, just looked at her. “You know better than that.”

“No I don’t,” she retorted. “And what do you mean, anyway?”

“I mean what I mean. You’ve been cursed.”

“Cursed? There’s no such thing…”

“Where does your poetry flow from?” the being interrupted her impatiently. “Where does life come from? Where do paintings and art come from? Where does music come from?”

“I don’t know… inspiration?”

“Magic. Even in your dimension, it is powerful. It’s just that the vast majority of your race has failed to reach it.”

“My dimension?”

“Yes… soon, it will no longer be your dimension, however.”

The next words that burst out of her mouth surprised her. “Where’s Daniel?”

The mist that surrounded them parted, and Daniel, as ethereal as her, appeared. “What’s going on?” he asked calmly.

“What’s going on?” Cassandra asked in disbelief, still frozen in her shocked, bewildered state. “Is that all you can say?”

Daniel wanted to chuckle, but he decided not to.

Cassandra didn’t usually get flustered… okay, perhaps she did. But whenever she did, she was quite… funny…

“Now that the both of you are here, we may begin… begin… begin… begin…”

Cassandra and Daniel both turned to where the being had been, but he/she/it was gone, leaving in its place only an echo…

8 8 8

Hope you enjoyed :D.