Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay this will be the only chap I post this weekend, just as a heads up, but I will post first thing monday morning. Kuddos!
William had left his father’s and was on his way out of Sunnydale when he decided to take a small detour. He knew this wasn’t going to help his situation, but damned if he wasn’t curious.


When he pulled up in front of the small house, he nearly hit the parked car in front of him. What in the bloody hell was she doing here? Parking the car, he got out and leaned against the hood of the car, lighting a cigarette to keep his rattled nerves in check.


“Fancy seein’ you here pet,” he commented as he took a long drag of his smoke.


Buffy slowly turned around and gazed at William with sad eyes. “Hey,” she replied softly not moving from her spot on the porch of their first and only home together.


William blew out a puff of smoke and regarded his soon to be ex-wife. She seemed smaller somehow, like she felt the need to try and hide from the world. She had lost weight since the last time he had seen her eight years ago and her eyes didn’t shine as brightly as they used to. Her hair was still long, but slightly blonder than he remembered. All in all she had grown up.


Buffy continued to stare at William. He was still as beautiful as ever. His hair was still the same platinum blond, but he looked different somehow, older. He had lost that boyish look about him and she wondered if it was because of her.


William stood up straight and crushed his cigarette under the heel of his boot. Shoving his hands in his pockets, he rocked back on his heels.


“So….” he drawled unsure of what to say or do.


“So,” Buffy replied as she took a seat on the top step of the porch.


William walked over and stopped right in front of the bottom step. “I guess you finally made it big,” he commented softly as he looked down at his feet.


Buffy wrung her hands in her lap nervously. “I guess,” she agreed.


William looked up at Buffy and let out an exasperated groan. “Bloody hell Buffy I can’t do this,” he said turning to go to his car.


Buffy stood up and called out to him. “Will wait.” She didn’t know what she was going to say, but she knew she didn’t want him to go before she had a chance to explain everything.


William stopped and turned to look at Buffy with an emotionless look on his face not saying a word.


Buffy let out a sigh of relief and then sat back down. “Can I at least explain myself?” she asked meekly.


William shoved his hands in his pockets and gave her a small nod. He wasn’t sure why, but he wanted to hear why Buffy had up and left him like she had.


Buffy took a deep breath and got all her thoughts in order trying to find a way to explain to him as to why she ruined the best thing that had ever happened to her. “First off, I never wanted to hurt you Will,” she explained.


William let out a sardonic snort and shook his head.


Buffy let her anger get the better of her as she snapped, “If you’re just gonna stand there and mock me every time I say something then you might as well just go.”


William looked at Buffy with cold eyes. “I’m listening.”


Buffy took another deep breath and tried again. “Like I said, I never wanted to hurt you, but I got scared, scared I was gonna turn into someone I wouldn’t be able to recognize five or ten years down the road,” she explained.


“Is that what you thought I was trying to do to you? Turn you into someone else,” he asked incredulously.


“Not intentionally no, but you expected me to give up school and my dream of taking my music professionally to follow you to England,” she retorted flatly.


“Buffy I told you it was only until I got us on our feet,” he defended letting his temper flare.


“See that’s the problem, you told me. Never once did you ask me what I wanted,” Buffy replied irritably.


“Well that’s because you never gave me the bloody chance! You were too busy running away,” he snapped.


Buffy felt pure rage build within her. How dare he try to put all the blame on her. “I can’t believe this, you are absolutely incredible,” Buffy said as she shook her head and let out a sardonic chuckle.


“Me? I’m incredible? I’m not the one who’s sittin’ here tryin’ to justify up and leaving her husband because things didn’t go ‘er way,” he commented snidely.


“You know what Will, go to hell,” Buffy snapped as she stormed past him in a fit of anger.


Oh no. She wasn’t going to get off that easy. William whipped around and was on Buffy in a flash. Pinning her against the car with his body, he leaned in until his face was mere inches from hers.


“Don’t walk away from me,” he growled in a low menacing tone.


Buffy gasped from the forcefulness William had used. She couldn’t decide if she was more scared or aroused by his sudden change in demeanor. Looking William dead in the eyes she put up a wall so he wouldn’t see he was affecting her in more ways than one.


“Let me go,” she demanded through clinched teeth as she struggled beneath Williams’s weight.


William grabbed Buffy’s wrists to stop her movements. “Not until you give me some answers,” he replied in a menacing voice.


Buffy stopped her struggle. “Fine what do you want to know,” she snapped heatedly.


William let go of Buffy’s wrists and put some distance between them. Where did he even begin? “Why didn’t you tell me what was going on in your life?” he asked bitterly.


Buffy let out a heavy sigh. “When you left that night I figured you didn’t care,” she explained dejectedly.


“How could you think that?” he asked incredulously.


“Well when someone says, ‘Fucking stay I don’t care either way,’ it kinda makes you think they don’t care,” Buffy replied dryly with her hands on her hips.


“Buffy what did you expect me to say?” he asked heatedly as his temper flared once again.


“I don’t know?” Buffy replied exasperatedly. She really didn’t want to start hashing over what went wrong at the moment and just wanted to skip all that, getting to the point where they could talk things out like adults and try to salvage what little they had left.


“Will listen, I didn’t get any sleep last night and I really don’t think I have the energy to do this now, so can we just get straight to the point here,” she pleaded as she pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration.


“Fine, where do I send the papers,” he asked mournfully.


Buffy looked up at William with wide eyes. She had honestly expected him to argue with her, not to just give in and ask the one thing she had feared the most. “I’ll be back in New York next week so you can send them there,” she replied softly, feeling her hear break. This was it. It was really over.


William resisted the urge to comfort the woman he loved more than life itself. He knew if he gave in, he would only be hurt in the end. She was with someone else now.


“Fine as soon as the paperwork is drawn up I’ll give you a call,” he said fighting back tears.


“Do you have a number to reach me at?”


“No, I’ll call your mum,” he replied staring at Buffy with an empty look in his eyes.


Buffy nodded her head and looked up to meet his gaze and felt a knot rise up in her throat. This was even harder than when she had told him she was leaving, because then, she had always known in the back of her mind she was going to come back to him.


William gave her a quick nod. “Well I guess I should get back to LA, got stuff to take care of,” he said in a distant voice.


“Yeah I should go too, Angel’s probably wondering where his car is,” Buffy replied softly letting her hurt show in her eyes.


William suddenly wondered if he was doing the right thing. He could see the hurt in her eyes and wondered if there was still a sliver of hope for them. Just as he was about to question Buffy on it, her cell phone rang.


Buffy let out a sigh and pulled her phone out of her pocket. She saw her mother’s number and let out a small groan. It was more than likely Angel asking her where she was. Shaking her head, she looked over at William and gestured for him to give her a minute. Flipping her phone open, she closed her eyes and sighed.


“Listen Angel I’m in the mid-“but she stopped mid-sentence and snapped her eyes open. “Lindsey!” she said surprised. She had totally forgotten that Lindsey was going to be at her mother’s house.


William narrowed his eyes at Buffy and snorted. Well so much for that sliver of hope. He looked at Buffy and gave her a curt nod before turning and walking to his car.


When Buffy saw William walk away, she felt panic rise within her. “William wait!” she yelled running after him.


“Buffy where the hell are you?” Lindsey asked angrily.


“Lindsey I have to go,” she said quickly before she hung up the phone not waiting for a response.


Lindsey sat in stunned silence as he stared at the phone in his hands. He was not happy to say the least.


Buffy stopped just as she reached William. “Please don’t go,” she pleaded.


William turned around to glare at Buffy with cold eyes. “Why shouldn’t I.”


Buffy felt a chill run through at the look in William’s eyes. “We need to talk,” she insisted.


“Buffy there’s nothing left to say. You made your choice,” he stated matter of factly.


Buffy let out a sardonic chuckle. “So that’s it. End of discussion. What William says goes, as usual,” she replied snidely with a shake of her head.


William got right in Buffy’s face and leveled her with his eyes. “You’re the one that left me remember. You’re the one who’s moved on and fucking someone else so don’t go carrin’ on like you’re the one who got the shit end of this deal,” he growled.


Buffy was taken aback by William’s harsh words. Letting her tears surface, she nodded her head, “Well I guess that settles it. I’ll give you what you want, just tell me where to sign,” she replied dejectedly.


William backed away and got in his car with out saying a word. If he would have tried to speak, his voice would have cracked under the raw emotions that threatened to strangle him.


Buffy stood there as she watched William drive away. Letting her emotions give way, she let out a strangled sob and fell to her knees. Looking back at the house, she clutched her face in her hands as her tears flowed freely. This was the yet another day she would never forget as long as she lived.


******************************************************************************


William rode in silence as tears streamed down his face. He didn’t think his heart could take anymore pain than it already had, but he was sorely mistaken. At that moment, he felt as if his heart had been ripped out and stomped to pieces right before his eyes.


Wiping at his cheeks furiously, he grabbed his cell phone and dialed the familiar number. When the line connected, he cleared his throat and used his best cocky self-assured voice he could.


“’Ello pet,” he purred.


“Ah my sweet William, to what do I owe the pleasure?” the eerily calm voice replied.


“I’m on my way back to LA, thought I might stop by on m’way in,” he purred suggestively.


The woman on the phone giggled seductively. “Would this be business or pleasure?”


“How about a bit of both?” he asked charmingly.


“Oooh, sounds like someone needs a bit of comfort,” she cooed.


“So what do you say Dru, you up for a bit of company?”


“For you my sweet boy, of course.” Dru purred into the phone.


“I’ll be there in an hour,” he replied and then hung up. If Buffy could move on then by God, so could he.



A/N Okay before you all start throwing heavy objects at me let me explain. William is hurt right now so he isn't exactly thinking straight, hence bad phone call making decisions. In all fairness I did warn you that something like this might happen, but I promise there is a method to my madness so just stick with me here. With that being said please go and review letting me know what you think. Remeber I love you guys so easy on the flames, my fire suit is still at the cleaners, LOL!




Thanks to spufette, cordykitten, Kimber, Spikesluv, ChrissieLinnit, DaniD, Laura, Brat, kim, desertrose, LiLi, willowmouse, spikestheman, SarahandJamesFanatic, Raspy_Luv, frederique, Duckiesrule2005, MidnightGirl, Nicki, Brunettepet, jenny, vitalis, and jennybean for the amazing reviews! I hope you guys will stick with me on this one, I promise to make it worth your wild! Kuddos!