Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about not posting yesterday but I got seriously busy around here and then my computer decided to start hating me. Long story short, we're breaking up and he is totally being replaced! Well I know you are all anxious to see what happens, so enjoy!
**Disclaimer in full effect**




Buffy rolled over in her hotel bed and stretched lazily. As she slung her feet over the edge, sitting up, she let thoughts of the night before cross her mind. She had slept with William and now they were going to try and start fresh.


They had talked until the wee hours of the morning telling the other about the lives they had over the last eight years. There were tears and laughter, and lots of pain, but they had talked and to Buffy, it was definitely a start.


When Buffy had left William’s she was in nothing more than her jeans and his t-shirt she had grabbed off his floor, leaving her other clothes behind. With a soft peck, Buffy had left with a feeling of hope that one day they could maybe get back what they used to have.


With a smile on her face, Buffy got up to start her day. She had to leave to go back to New York that afternoon and there was a certain bleached blond she needed to see.



******************************************************************************




William lay flat on his back in bed in deep thought. After Buffy left he climbed into bed with every intention off letting sleep consume him, but sleep had never come. His mind was still reeling at the fact that Buffy was willing to give them another chance.


He knew it wasn’t good that they had started out with sex, but damn it all if it wasn’t the best night of his life. Buffy had felt so good in his arms again, all soft and warm. There was no way he would trade that for the world.


Knowing good and well he wasn’t going to get any sleep, William rolled out of bed to get his shower. As he walked to the bathroom, he noticed Buffy’s shirt and panties lying on the floor. William knew Buffy ran off with his shirt but he could have cared less. He remembered a time when all Buffy would wear to bed was the shirt he had worn that day, said it made her feel as if she was in his skin somehow, cocooned in his smell.


With a grin, William picked up Buffy’s clothes and turned them in his hands. The shirt she had worn looked as if it might fit his niece Kennedy and her small scrap of panties looked barely large enough to cover her neatly shaven mound. He brought the shirt to his nose, inhaling as much of Buffy as he could, night jasmine with a hint of vanilla; heaven.


William tossed Buffy’s clothes on the bed and made his way to the shower. From this day forth things were going to be different and if they went they way he hoped, it would be for the better.



******************************************************************************


Buffy stood nervously outside of William’s apartment. Was it okay for her to just drop by like this? Things were still new between them but Buffy had known William all her life so when the idea to go and see him came to her she hadn’t thought twice about it, but now standing outside his door, it didn’t seem like such a good idea.


Buffy walked away from Will’s door and pulled out her cell phone. When he finally picked up, Buffy felt the butterflies that had been in her belly turn to full out moths.


“Will?” she greeted nervously.


William smiled into the phone. “Buffy, I was just thinking about you,” William replied as he wrapped a towel around his waist.


Buffy heard an echo, and frowned. “Are you in the bathroom?” she asked curiously.


“Yeah, just stepped out of the shower, why?” William asked.


Buffy felt a blush tint her cheeks. William was thinking about me while he was in the shower?


“Oh uh, no reason, I uh, just heard an echo is all, thought maybe it was my phone or something,” Buffy rambled senselessly. The thought that William could have been doing that while thinking about her in the shower caused Buffy to clinch her thighs together.


William couldn’t help but find her absolutely adorable. “No, not your phone,” he assured her with a chuckle. William could tell that Buffy was flustered at the idea of him thinking of her in the shower.


Buffy leaned up against the wall. “What are you laughing at?” Buffy asked huffily.


“You pet,” William replied as he walked out of the bathroom.


“I don’t think I said anything funny.”


“Wasn’t what you said, was how you said it,” William teased.


“And how might that have been?” Buffy asked haughtily.


“All hot and bothered,” William chuckled.


Buffy let her jaw fall open. “What?! I am not hot and bothered,” she lied.


“Could have fooled me luv.”


“Well I’m not, so there,” Buffy retorted childishly.


“Okay, I’m sorry for being presumptuous,” William apologized insincerely.


“Yeah you sound real sorry William,” Buffy replied dryly.


William let out a full laugh. “You know me all too well,” he sighed.


Buffy couldn’t help the smile that curled at her lips. “Yeah I do,” she agreed reminiscently.


They both stayed quite for a moment. The fact that they had so much history together was always going to be lying close to the surface it was just a matter of whether they would let it get in the way. Buffy felt like the silence between them was becoming too awkward so she decided to say something in hopes of easing the tension.


“I realized that I left…. some of my things last night and I was wondering if I could swing by and pick them up,” Buffy asked sheepishly.


“Sure, when did you want to come by?” William asked as he picked up said clothing for another smell.


Buffy rang the doorbell and shoved her hands in her pockets.


William frowned and without thought to his attire, ran to answer the door. When he pulled it open, Buffy was standing there, cell phone to her ear.


“Would now be a good time?” she asked with a soft smile on her face.


William shook his head as he flipped his phone shut. “How long have you been out here?” he chuckled.


“Since about ten minutes before I called you,” Buffy answered with a nervous giggle.


“Well I don’t fancy my neighbors want to see me in m’towel so how bout we get out of the doorway, yeah?”


Buffy stepped inside the apartment. “So is this a new thing you picked up, answering the door half naked?”


William smirked as he walked past Buffy to his room to get some clothes on. “What’s the matter pet, ‘fraid someone might see my hot body?”


Buffy watched as William strutted down the hallway, towel slung low on his hips. He most definitely had a hot body. “Hardly,” she replied trying to sound indifferent.


William pulled on his favorite pair of faded blue jeans and grabbed a shirt from the closet before collecting Buffy’s things and heading out to the living room.


Buffy looked up to see William standing there in blue jeans and a black short sleeve button up shirt left open so you could see the chiseled contours of his well defined chest and abs. Her mouth went dry and she couldn’t have said an intelligent thing if her life depended on it.


“Here’s your things luv,” William said as he held out her clothes.


Buffy nodded mutely and took her things from William unaware she was openly gawking at his chest.


William smirked. “See something you like pet?” he asked suggestively. Sure they were starting over, but flirting was one of the many things that people did when they got to know each other.


Buffy snapped her eyes up to meet William’s and blushed profusely at being caught staring so openly.


“Oh, uh…” Buffy fumbled as she looked anywhere but at William.


“What’s that, I didn’t quite understand you?” William teased. He was enjoying this way too much.


Buffy looked at William and scowled. “Shut up.” When he just laughed at her, Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “Do you think you can button your shirt? The glare coming off your chest might blind me,” she grumbled trying to sound like the sight of his body was gross.


William shook his head as he buttoned his shirt. “Right ‘cause we don’t want to hurt your precious eyes now do we,” he quipped.


“Well I see you haven’t lost your knack for snappy come backs,” Buffy commented dryly.


“Nope,” William replied plopping on the couch next to Buffy.


“Well I guess since I got what I came for I can go now,” Buffy suggested not really wanting to leave just yet.


William let his shoulders sag. “Sure, I guess just give me a call when you get some free time,” he replied disappointedly.


Buffy worried her bottom lip. It was obvious William wasn’t going to make the first move so the ball was in her court. “Will, would you like to go and get some lunch?” she blurted out before she could over think it.


William looked at Buffy with surprised eyes. He had expected her to just get up and leave, but she was actually trying to spend time with him.


“I’d like that,” he replied not even trying to mask his excitement. Maybe this was gonna work after all.



******************************************************************************



Buffy and William sat at a small sidewalk café browsing over their menus. The ride to lunch was quiet and both were feeling more than a little nervous. Buffy kept reminding herself that this was not a date. It was just two people who had had sex the night before having lunch. Could things be any weirder?


“So, what’ll it be pet?” William asked needing to break the deafening silence.


Buffy looked over her menu at William. Honestly she was so nervous now that her appetite was non-existent but she knew she had to eat something. “I think I’m just gonna have the soup and salad, you?”


“Well you can keep the rabbit food and I’m gonna get the turkey club,” he replied.


“No mayo or onion, honey mustard on the side,” Buffy said looking at William with a smile.


“You remembered,” William chuckled. After all this time, Buffy still remembered how he liked his sandwich.


“How could I forget? Remember the time we ate at that deli while we spent the weekend here in LA, you ordered a sandwich with no onion and they forgot. You swelled up like a balloon and we had to spend the rest of our trip stuck in the room cause you got sick from the medicine they gave you to counteract the allergic reaction to the onion,” Buffy giggled as she reminisced.


“Bloody awful it was, I don’t think I’ve ever been so sick in my life,” William chuckled at the memory.


“Well the weekend wasn’t a complete waste,” Buffy recalled with a blush thinking about how once William managed to stop throwing up, they had made love for hours only getting out of bed to hydrate themselves.


“No, not a complete waste,” he agreed as he gazed at Buffy.


They sat there just staring at one another with lust evident in their eyes. When William reached across to take Buffy’s hand in his, the waiter chose that moment to approach them to take their orders. When Buffy pulled her hand away, William let out an aggravated sigh and looked up at the waiter, irritation evident in his eyes.


Their orders were taken and they were left alone once again, but the moment had passed and now they were just sitting in awkward silence.


Buffy wished she knew a way to get back the moment they had shared before being interrupted. It was nice being able to look back at the good times they had shared, but she knew as many good times as they had there was also some bad, and that’s what scared her the most.


“So, how do you want to work this when you get home?” William asked.


Buffy had been so caught up in her thought’s she didn’t realize William was talking to her.


“Huh?”


“I asked how you wanted to work this after you got home,” William reiterated.


“Oh, you mean as far as us?” Buffy asked timidly.


“Yeah, I know the distance thing is a big factor, but I thought that if we set aside time maybe in the evening or something to call one another it might be a start,” William suggested.


“I could do that, I just don’t know how often though,” Buffy replied.


“Why?” William asked trying not to get frustrated. Was Buffy already trying to back out?


“Well in the next week or two, I’m gonna be trying to record my new album, and I’ll be working all kinds of crazy hours so it might be few and far between calls at first,” Buffy pointed out.


To William it just sounded like excuses. “Buffy are you trying to blow me off?” he asked bluntly. He needed to know before he put his heart back on the line for this girl.


“No Will, I just want you to understand that this isn’t gonna be easy.” Buffy explained.


“I told you already I didn’t expect it to be, but your already setting us up for failure,” William replied exasperatedly.


“No I’m not,” Buffy defended.


“Yes you are. You’re already making excuses and you haven’t even left yet,” William snapped.


Buffy noticed the people that were now looking in their direction. “William will you keep your voice down, people are staring,” she hissed in a hush tone.


William was about to yell he didn’t give a shit when the waiter appeared with their food. Settling on just scowling at Buffy, they started their meal in silence.


Buffy could feel William’s eyes on her. With an exasperated sigh, she looked up from her half eaten salad. “William are we going to talk about this or are you just going to glare at me the whole time?” she asked exasperatedly.


“Well the glaring seems to be working for me,” William grumbled before taking a bite of his sandwich.


“Fine,” Buffy sighed and went back to her salad.


William knew he was being childish and really didn’t want to leave things this way before Buffy left. “Listen I don’t want to fight with you Buffy, I just feel like you’re not wanting to make a go of this.”


Buffy put down her fork and looked up at William with warm eyes. “Will, that’s not it at all, honest. I just need you to understand that my life is never easy, at every turn there is always someone in my face with a camera or wanting an autograph, that’s all,” Buffy explained.


William knew Buffy was just trying to make him see that if they did this it wasn’t going to be a normal relationship; it was going to be one that was constantly under a microscope for all the world to see. Reaching a hand out across the table to hold hers, William smiled. “Buffy I understand, we’re just gonna have to do this one step at a time.”


Buffy squeezed William’s hand and smiled. If he was willing to accept that his life would no longer be his own than this just might actually work. Just as Buffy was about to tell William she would do whatever she had to make things work, two guys came over to their table.


“Hey aren’t you Buffy Summers?” A blond guy who looked to be about seventeen asked.


Buffy looked over at William and could see the aggravation written all over his face. Turning back to the two boys, she smiled. “Yep that’s me.”


“Holy Shit! Can we get an autograph and a picture?” the boys asked eagerly.


Buffy looked at William apologetically. “Sure,” she agreed.


“Hey man, do you mind taking our picture?” the darker haired boy asked William holding out his cell phone.


William clinched his jaw and looked to Buffy who was pleading with him with her eyes to just do it and get it over with.


“No problem mate,” William said through clinched teeth as he snatched the phone form the boy. The boy was so engrossed in Buffy he was oblivious that he was about to get torn limb from limb.


Buffy stood between the two boys letting them wrap their arms around her back. She could feel them trying to slip their hand lower on her back but fought the urge to say anything. All she needed was for William to go to jail for beating the crap out of two teenaged boys.


William quickly snapped the picture and tossed the phone in the direction of the horny teenaged boys. The dark haired boy caught the phone and checked the picture. “Hey man, you can barely see us,” he complained.


“Sorry ‘bout that,” William replied flippantly taking his seat.


Buffy could see there was about to be a confrontation so she was quick to jump in before someone got hurt. “Who do I make this out to?” she asked as she pulled a pen out of her purse.


The boys quickly turned their attention back to Buffy. “To Chase,” the blond answered. “And Tanner,” the dark haired boy added.


Buffy quickly scribbled something down on a napkin and then handed it to the overzealous boys. “Here you go,” she said as she handed them the napkin.


“Thanks!” The two boys smiled brightly and then headed off down the street as they commented, “Dude can you believe it, Buffy is so fucking hot!”…. “Yeah but who the hell was that guy she was with, he was a dick.”…. “Yeah he was.”


Buffy turned back to William. “Sorry about that,” she apologized.


“Do horny teenage boys try to grope you while you’re eating lunch often?” William asked sarcastically.


“Will, this is what I was telling you about, if you can’t handle it then maybe this isn’t a good idea.” Buffy said mournfully.


“No.” William replied adamantly.


“No?”


“I’m not gonna let this come between us Buffy, so I guess I will just have to deal with it,” William declared resolutely.


Buffy couldn’t help the smile that crossed her face. “Thank you Will,” Buffy said before leaning across the table to leave a tender kiss on his lips.


William was taken aback by Buffy’s gesture. “What was that for?” he asked with a lop-sided grin.


“For understanding,” she replied simply.


With a sexy smirk, William leaned in so only Buffy could here him. “And what do I get if I’m accepting?” he asked suggestively.


Buffy couldn’t help the shiver that ran down her spine. Pulling back she looked William deep in his cerulean eyes and smiled. “I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.”





Thanks to Debbie, Spikeshunny, DaniD, spuffette, Kimber, MidnightGirl, Spikesluv, Danielle, cordykitten, Laura, kim, Deege, Nicki, Briana, Kimber, ChrissNicole, SarahandJamesFanatic, willowmouse, Nerf Herder, and frederique for the lovely reviews, I really appreciate them. Well I'm not sure when I will be able to post again since my hubby is out buying our new PC as we speak, which you all know means he won't let me touch it until everything is perfect *rolls eyes*, but I promise to put up the next chap as soon as I can, 'til then, Kuddos!