Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry I didn't post yesterday but I had family stuff that I had to do, but if you guys are really sweet with the reviews I might post another chap tonight. Yes, I know it is so bribary, but hey, all is fair in love and Spuffy, LOL! Enjoy!
Buffy was sitting in her chair half listening to the reporters that were doing the Q&A session. It was the same every time. ‘Buffy when are you going to go on tour again?’ ‘Buffy are the rumors true that you’re engaged to your manager?’ They really needed to start coming up with some better questions. But one reporter seemed to spark her attention.


“Buffy your hit single ‘Someone’ is absolutely amazing, is it about someone in particular?”


Buffy sat stunned for a moment. Of course it was about someone in particular, someone she had loved more than life itself.


“Not necessarily,” she lied. “I wrote ‘Someone’ for everyone who has ever been in love,” she covered quickly. Buffy had always made a point of keeping her personal life and business totally separate things.


Buffy looked over at Lindsey and gave him a look that said she was ready to wrap things up.


“Okay folks, how about one more question and then we call this thing quits,” Lindsey let everyone know.


All the reporters and columnists started talking over one another trying to get the last question in. Lindsey scanned over the crowd and chose a columnist that was local.


“You back there in the back from the Sunnydale Times,” Lindsey pointed to a highly attractive blond that was clearly giving him the eye.


Buffy saw Lindsey choose Harmony Kendall and felt her stomach clinch in knots. Harmony was Buffy’s lifelong enemy. They had hated each other since grade school, but when Buffy had started dating William it had turned into all out war.


Harmony stepped up so she was at the center of attention and plastered a sickeningly sweet smile on her face. Oh, this was too good to be true.


“So Buffy, you have apparently made something for yourself over the past few years,” Harmony pointed out with a malicious undertone. “I was just curious, and well, I’m sure everyone else here is as well,” she knew she had sparked the attention of every last person in the small room. With a sadistic smile she asked, “So tell me, what does your husband think of all your success?”


Buffy felt like the air had been sucked out of the room. She knew Harmony could be a heartless bitch, but this was low even for her. Without warning, tears began to well up in her eyes and she sat there completely helpless as reporters began to flash cameras in her face and all speak to her at once.


Lindsey took one look at Buffy and quickly tried to rectify the situation.


“Okay folks that’s all the time we have, I would like to thank each and every one of you for coming out today. On behalf of Blue and myself, have a great day.” He helped Buffy from her seat and quickly brought her to the backroom.


The reporters started going wild for answers as Buffy left the room but then turned to Harmony to see if they could get the scoop on Buffy’s mystery husband.


Buffy got in the backroom and began to pace back and forth. “Damn it!” she yelled, thoroughly pissed off.


Lindsey leaned up against the wall and pinched the bridge of his nose. “How in the hell am I supposed to fix this one?” he asked rhetorically.


“You were supposed to screen all the questions beforehand Lindsey,” Buffy snapped, stopping her pacing to glare at her boyfriend.


“I did Buffy! How the fuck was I supposed to know that this woman knew you?” Lindsey snapped back.


“Because that’s your job!” Buffy yelled.


“Well maybe if you didn’t keep your past a secret from me, I might have known,” Lindsey pointed heatedly.


“I told you about Will, so don’t act like this was some big shock,” Buffy retorted snidely.


Lindsey let out a heavy sigh. “Buffy I don’t want to fight with you about this. What’s done is done. I’ll take care of it; just let’s not fight, okay?” Lindsey relented.


Buffy just looked at Lindsey for a moment with emotionless eyes. She should have been glad that Lindsey was backing down, but for some reason it just seemed to aggravate her. Knowing now wasn’t the time to get into things Buffy let it go for now.


“Whatever Lindsey, let’s just go.”


Lindsey went to hug Buffy but she simply sidestepped him and walked out the backdoor.


Lindsey shook his head and let out an exasperated sigh. Buffy acting in typical fashion. She doesn’t like what she hears so she walks away, that’s all she’s ever done.


Buffy was about to get in the limo, but was stopped by a strong hand on her arm.


“Buffy, why do you always walk away from me?” Lindsey asked in a hurt filled voice.


“Can we not do this right now,” Buffy pleaded. All she wanted to do was forget this whole mess and go get practice started.


“Baby I love you and I don’t want you mad with me,” Lindsey confessed in a soft smooth voice.


Buffy felt some of her frustration towards Lindsey slip a little. She knew it wasn’t his fault that Harmony had asked about her past, but Lindsey was the only person there at the time she could take it out on.


“Lindsey look, I’m sorry if I took things out on you, but Harmony just threw me for a loop,” Buffy apologized.


Lindsey pulled Buffy in his arms. “I understand darlin’.”


Buffy let herself be comforted by Lindsey’s warm embrace. She knew it wasn’t right, but she was so desperate to make the hurt go away.


Lindsey ran his fingers through Buffy’s honey blond hair. “So we’re good baby?” he asked pulling back slightly to look her in the eyes.


“Yeah we’re good,” she agreed.


Lindsey gave her a sexy smile and pulled her in for a passionate kiss. He knew things weren’t completely all right between them, but there was no use dwelling on it now.


Buffy let Lindsey show her how much he cared for her. She wanted to love him, but her heart just wouldn’t let go of the past to let her give herself fully to him.


Pulling away for air, Buffy blushed at their blatant display of affection. “We should probably get to the stage so I can practice,” she pointed out.


“Yeah, I have to make sure everything is set up and ready to go for tonight,” Lindsey agreed. Placing one last tender kiss to her lips, he opened the limo door and slid in next to her.


Buffy rested her head against Lindsey’s shoulder as the car pulled away, but little did she know there had been a certain bleached blond standing across the street watching her as his heart broke into a million pieces all over again.


**************************************************************************************


William walked out of the saloon and ran his fingers through his freshly bleached and cut spiky locks. It was amazing how a physical change could somehow make you feel just a little bit better on the inside.


He was about to cross the street to his car when he stopped dead in his tracks from the sight before him.


Buffy was storming out of the back entrance of the record store and was visibly upset. His heart was screaming out to him to go to her and comfort her in anyway he could, but just as soon as his mind was beginning to agree with his heart, it all came to a halting stop.


William stood and watched in horror as some guy took Buffy in his arms and soothed her, then just when he thought his heart might break, said guy kissed his Buffy. Not just a quick peck to the lips but a full-blown open-mouthed passionate kiss.


William felt like someone had punched him in the gut and all the wind had been knocked out of him. He tried blinking to see if that would make the awful gut wrenching images of some ponce kissing his wife go away but it was an effort in vain.


He stood there shell shocked until he saw Buffy get in the limo and drive away. William crossed the street in a mind-boggled haze somehow avoiding oncoming traffic. Well if he wanted closure, he just fucking got it, because if what he just saw said anything at all, it was that whatever he had or what maybe could have been between him and Buffy was most definitely without a shadow of a doubt over.




Big thanks to cordykitten, DaniD, MidnightGirl, Smitten, spufette, Nicki, Brat, Raspy_Luv, Kimber, Dee, and jennybean for the lovely reviews, y'all are the absolute best! Also a huge thanks to by beta gotkona for all the hard work she has put into this fic for me. I can't thank you enough! Kuddos!