Author's Chapter Notes:
Well after reading all the reviews I just had to give you guys another chap! Thank you so much for all the support, it's absolutely amazing. This chap is for you! Kuddos!
Disclaimer: I own nothing but the story line. All else is credited to the rightful owners.




William walked over to Joyce and touched her arm to get her attention. You could hardly hear yourself thinking over the screaming crowds.


Joyce looked up when she felt a hand on her arm and smiled. She grabbed William’s hand and pulled him off to a quieter area so that they could talk. Once they found a spot they could actually talk to one another without shouting, Joyce asked, “So what did you think?”


William looked back over to Buffy who was working the crowd and smiled. He wasn’t surprised in the least that Buffy had made her dreams a reality, that was just the way she was, she never did anything half ass.


“She’s amazing,” he admitted.


Joyce watched her daughter fondly. She had never been more proud of Buffy. The only thing she wished was different for her daughter was that she could have found some way to include William in her life.


Buffy put down her guitar and sat behind the grand piano that was now on stage.


“Alright folks this next song is one of the first songs I ever wrote, it’s called ‘Listen to Your Heart’.” Buffy closed her eyes as she started to play the slow song that meant so much to her and reflected what she felt in her heart.

I know there’s something in the wake of your smile
I get a notion from the look in your eyes, yeah
You've built a love but that love falls apart
Your little piece of heaven turns too dark….

Listen to your heart when he’s calling for you
Listen to your heart, there’s nothing else you can do
I don't know where you're going and I don't know why
But listen to your heart before you tell him goodbye….


William sat there in stone silence. Was that song about them? His mind was going a mile a minute and he felt dizzy trying to sort out all his feelings that were squirming around in his head. He suddenly wasn’t so sure setting Buffy free was the right thing to do.


Sometimes you wonder if this fight is worthwhile
The precious moments are all lost in the tide, yeah

They're swept away and nothing is what is seems
The feeling of belonging to your dreams…..


Listen to your heart when he’s calling for you
Listen to your heart, there’s nothing else you can do
I don't know where you're going and I don't know why
But listen to your heart before you tell him goodbye…..


And there were voices that want to be heard
So much to mention but you can't find the words
The scent of magic the beauty that’s been
When love was wilder than the wind….


Listen to your heart when he’s calling for you
Listen to your heart, there’s nothing else you can do
I don't know where you're going and I don't know why
But listen to your heart before you tell him goodbye….


Listen to your heart…Mmmm
I don't know where you’re going and I don't know why
Listen to your heart before… you tell him goodbye…



William turned to Joyce and stared at her with wide eyes. “I can’t do this,” he muttered absently.


Joyce grabbed a hold of William’s hand and gave it a small squeeze. “William it’s time,” she stated softly as she looked up at him with sad eyes.


William hung his head and closed his eyes. Joyce was right. Buffy had moved on, he had seen it with his own two eyes. Taking a ragged breath, he inhaled deeply through his nose.


“I’ll come and talk to her after the show, I just need a minute to myself first,” he told Joyce in a mournful voice.


Joyce rubbed his arm and nodded her head knowingly. “Take all the time you need, Buffy will be here for awhile.”


William turned to walk away and then turned back to Joyce. “Do you think you can get Kennedy back there before I talk to Buffy?” he asked.


“Sure sweetie,” Joyce replied and then walked over to where Giles and Kennedy were standing watching the show.


William walked over to the smoking area and pulled out his smokes. Lighting one up, he inhaled deeply, enjoying the buzz from the nicotine. He didn’t have much time, and he needed to think of a way to tell Buffy that it was finally over. How in the bloody hell was he supposed to do that?


Joyce found Giles and Kennedy standing close to the stage. Reaching out for Giles’ arm, she smiled and nodded her head for him to step away a bit so Kennedy wouldn’t overhear them.


Giles leaned in so he could hear Joyce without having to strain his ears.


“I just talked to William and he asked if we could get Kennedy backstage before he gets back there,” Joyce relayed to her old friend.


“I think that would be best, that way Kennedy isn’t confused by their relationship,” Giles agreed.


Joyce nodded in agreement and motioned for then to follow her. Giles grabbed his granddaughter’s hand and led her in the direction Joyce was going.


Kennedy frowned and yelled over the crowd, “Where are we going, the concert’s not over yet.”


“Backstage so you can meet Buffy and the rest of the band,” Giles called back to her.


Kennedy shrieked loudly and eagerly followed the two adults backstage. Her friends back home were going to be so jealous.


Buffy finished her last song and waved to all of her fans. “You guys were great! Thank you so much for coming out tonight, I love you Sunnydale!” she yelled at the crowd as she walked off stage. Buffy was barely offstage when she was whisked off her feet and twirled in the air.


“Buffy you were absolutely amazing out there,” Lindsey gushed as he captured her lips in a mind-blowing kiss.


Buffy pulled away panting for air. “Lindsey put me down,” she demanded between giggles.


Lindsey put Buffy down on her feet and let a serious look cross his face. “Buffy we need to talk.” He had some questions that seriously needed to be answered.


“Lindsey what-“ but she stopped mid-sentence when she saw her father-n-law standing there looking at her with a look on his face that she couldn’t quite describe, but if she had to guess, she would have said disappointment. She quickly pulled out of Lindsey’s arms and turned to the man she had loved as a second father.


“Giles,” she gasped in complete awe.


Kennedy looked from Buffy then back to her grandfather. “How does she know your name?” she asked confused.


Buffy hadn’t noticed the young girl at Giles’ side until now. She was the prettiest thing Buffy had ever seen. She had long soft curly brown hair and the most amazing blue eyes. Buffy felt her heart leap into her throat. Those blue eyes looked all too familiar.


Buffy walked over and leaned over to smile at the young girl. “Well what’s your name?” Buffy asked sweetly.


Kennedy was a bit star struck and took a moment to answer. When she finally found her voice, she squeaked, “Kennedy.”


“That’s a gorgeous name.” Buffy complimented her.


Kennedy blushed a pretty shade of pink and held out a CD and a permanent marker. “Can I get your autograph,” she asked shyly


Buffy smiled. “Of course you can,” she replied taking the CD from the little girl. Writing a message on it, she handed it back and looked up at Giles with a questioning look.


Giles realized he hadn’t introduced the young girl at his side. “Buffy this is my granddaughter, she’s a huge fan of yours,” he informed his daughter-n-law vaguely.


Buffy felt panic rise up within her. If that was Giles’ granddaughter then was this William’s daughter?


Joyce could see the panic in her daughter’s eyes and was about to clarify who the young girl was when she saw William in the distance.


“Giles how about we take Kennedy to meet some of the other band members,” Joyce suggested giving him a look as she nodded in the direction of William.


Giles looked over and saw his son standing there. He nodded in agreement and then turned to Buffy. “It was good seeing you again,” he said quickly and then led Kennedy in the direction of the other band members, that just so happened to be where his son was standing.


Buffy turned around and gasped. Standing not more than a hundred feet away was the man she would never have expected to see. The man that she had thought about everyday for the last eight years. The man that she could still legally call her husband, William.


Kennedy saw her uncle and ran over to him, jumping in his arms. “Uncle Will look, Buffy signed my CD,” she squealed excitedly.


William took the CD from her and read the message.


Kennedy,
Always follow your dreams and never let them go!
XOXO, Buffy



He handed back the CD and smiled. “That was nice of her.”


“Did you know Grandpa knows Buffy?” she asked animatedly.


“See I told you Grandpa was a better choice to bring than me,” he teased.


William looked over and saw Buffy standing there staring at him. This was it, he couldn’t back down now. Turing his attention back to Kennedy, he placed a sweet kiss to her brow and smiled. “Why don’t you go with Grandpa and meet some of the other people from the band,” he suggested.


Kennedy quickly hopped out of her uncle’s arms and ran back to her grandfather.


William watched to make sure his niece was safely at his father’s side and then turned back and walked over to the woman he had fallen in love with so many years ago.


Lindsey watched as Buffy stood stone still waiting for William to approach her. By the way she was reacting to his presence told him that she had had no clue he was here. Keeping his jealousy in check, he stood back and let his girlfriend have the space she needed, but would be close enough that he could jump in if need be.


With every step William took her heart would beat that much faster in her chest. Her mouth went dry and she knew that she wouldn’t be able to make a coherent thought even if her life depended on it. Right now the only thing her mind could process was that he was here. After all this time, he was here.


William stopped in front of Buffy and stared into her big green eyes. “Hello Buffy.”


Buffy stared back at William. His eyes were still the same deep blue that she had gotten lost in all those times so many years again. “Will what are you doing here?” she asked almost breathlessly.


All coherent thought went straight out the window when he heard Buffy say his name in a breathy tone that had his insides melting. “Had to come see about a girl,” he replied softly as he looked down at his feet and shoved his hands in his pockets causing his faded blue jeans to ride lower on his slender hips.


Buffy had to remind herself to breathe when she saw the smooth alabaster skin of his flat abs become exposed to her wandering eyes. She quickly averted her eyes and tried to think of something to say. When she heard the soft sound of a little girl laughing, she was brought back to her earlier thoughts.


“I met Kennedy.” Buffy tried to see if he would tell her on his own if she was in fact his daughter.


William looked up with wide eyes. Had they told Buffy that Kennedy was her niece?


Buffy felt her heart break in two. The look on his face was all she needed to confirm what she had thought all along. It seems that William had moved on.


“So they told you?” William asked hesitantly.


“They didn’t have to, I took one look at her and I knew….your daughter’s beautiful William, she even has your eyes,” Buffy replied mournfully.


William was stunned. Buffy had thought Kennedy was his daughter. For some reason this made him angry. How in the hell could she think he had moved on so quickly. Oh that’s right, because apparently she had.


“Buffy, Kennedy’s not my daughter, she’s my niece,” he corrected her coolly.


Buffy felt a wave of relief wash over her. She didn’t know what she would have done if he would have confirmed her worst nightmare.


“But those eyes, they look just like yours,” Buffy commented.


“Cecily has the same blue eyes as I do,” William pointed out.


“So you haven’t met someone?” Buffy asked hesitantly.


William knew if he lied to Buffy and said yes that it would make it so much easier on himself, but he had never been able to lie to his girl. “No I haven’t,” he said as he looked up at her with sad eyes.


Buffy felt her heartbreak at the sad look in his eyes. It killed her to know that she was the one who had put it there. How was she supposed to tell him that she was in a relationship, had been for over five years now. And as if he had been reading her mind, he said the one thing she couldn’t bring herself to say.


“I know Buffy, I saw you with him,” he informed her desolately.


“But how?” she gasped.


“I was walking out the salon from getting m’hair cut and there you were kissing some bloke,” he informed her bitterly.


Buffy closed her eyes. William had seen her and Lindsey outside of the record store today. Could her life get anymore complicated?


“Will, let me explain,” Buffy tried.


William let his anger bubble to the surface. “You know what, don’t bother, I saw what I needed and it makes what I’m about to say that much easier,” he replied in a cold voice.


Buffy let her hurt show on her face as she held her breath in anticipation of William’s hurtful words.


Lindsey saw the pained look on Buffy’s face and had had enough. Walking over, he put his arm around Buffy’s waist and pulled her to him with a smug look on his face.


“So we meet at last, the infamous William. I’m Lindsey, the boyfriend.” He said cockily as he placed a kiss to the top of Buffy’s head, never taking his eyes off the enraged platinum blond in front of him.


Buffy tensed in Lindsey’s hold and looked at William with wide eyes. She couldn’t do anything but stand there shell shocked and wait for the inevitable blow out that was only a matter of seconds away.


William resisted the urge to reach over and rip the fucking ponce’s throat out right then and there. How dare he put his hands on HIS wife. He leveled Lindsey with a sadistic glare then turned to look at Buffy with cool eyes. Oh yeah, this was much easier now.


“Your papers should be in the mail by Monday,” he said through clinched teeth and then turned and walked away without looking back.


Buffy stood there numb. She felt like she was outside her body watching herself unable to do anything. This was it, it was really over. William had taken the final step to completely take her out of his life.


Lindsey stood there watching as William walked away. He couldn’t help but be somewhat happy. Not that he wanted to see his girl hurt, but if her marriage was really over, then maybe, just maybe she would allow herself to love him the way he loved her.


Lindsey pulled Buffy in his arms and kissed her on the cheek. “Darlin’ it’ll be okay, it’s over now,’ he tried to sooth the broken girl in his arms.


Buffy pulled out of Lindsey’s arms and looked at him with cold eyes. “Don’t.”


“Buffy let me help you,” Lindsey pleaded.


Buffy shook he head and let out a sardonic laugh. “Lindsey I think you’ve helped enough,” she replied flatly and then turned and walked away. Well this was most definitely a night she would never forget.



*Song by D.H.T. 'Listen to Your Heart' and all lyrics and rights belong to the rightful owners.*




Huge thanks to Brat, spuffette, cee, kristina, DaniD, jeanie, gotkona, cordykitten, caatje, MidnightGirl, Nicki, kim, vitalis, soikestheman, Spikesluv, Kimber, Briana, and frederique for all the reviews, you guys blow me away! Kuddos!